Country Music

Iron Head

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2015
I travel a lot for work, so I purchased a Sirius radio and account years ago when it came out. I still have to have it today. It is indispensable to me.

I usually listen to metal, classic rock and 90s alt rock. Sometimes I will change things up and listen to political talk or jazz fusion. However, I am basically a metal head, so I stay close to Liquid Metal.

Lately I have branched out and decided to try country. The new stuff is what I call pop country. In my opinion, it sucks. However, there is a nostalgia factor with me for the older stuff, as my dad used to listen to it - George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Metle Haggard, etc.,, Sirius has a channel dedicated to this stuff, so I decided to try it out. I listened to it on the road for the past 3 days. Now I feel like I am on the verge of a mental break down.

Have you listened to the lyrics of old country music? I thought that metal lyrics could get dark, but it has nothing on old country songs. There is fucking, fucking your friend's wife, your wife fucking around on you, murder, people dying, alcoholism, drugs, and worse. There is also an affinity for trains. Plus, it is all put together as a story of twisted, fucked up personal lives being destroyed by infidelity and/or addictive substances.

What kind of person writes this fucked up shit? Little boys talking to truckers on CB radios, then the kid dies. A crippled war veteran who's wife, Ruby, goes out fucking around on him while he is at home in a wheel chair and knows what she is doing. What the fuck is this?!? Fucking your best friend's wife is also a popular theme.

Country music is a study in human psychological pathologies. It is disturbing as hell. Fuck this! I am going back to Lamb of God, Meshuggah, and Opeth. I can related to them, and THEY are not nearly as fucked up as the country assholes.

I agree with you on that. However there are some gems out there. Marty Robbins has some great songs and Jerry Reed was one hell of a guitar player...

This used to be my theme song for killing people...

...in Fallout: New Vegas

Like when you're walking around alone in the desert wasteland and you see a Raiders' base off in the distance, so you bust out your .44 Magnum and take everyone out, no survivors

Last edited:
In my opinion, we lost one of our best earlier this month and ever since then, I have not been able to stop listening to him and wishing that I had started listening to him sooner. I heard a fair deal of his material when I was a kid, but I guess that you could say that I did not really "come around" until now and I couldn't feel anymore ashamed over how late I am. To me, we couldn't have lost a person more precious than the awesome Billy Joe Royal. :( :( :(

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly (age 33)

P.S. This is just one of the many clips of him that I can't stop watching.

Forum List

Back