Could we have dark energy telescopes in the future?

Newtonian

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2020
Currently astronomy is limited by our visibility horizon to about 14 billion light years away since we are limited by the speed o of light.

But could dark energy not only cause FTL (= faster than light) expansion but actually travel faster than light speed?

If so, could we some day have dark energy telescopes that would allow us to observe many times further than our visibility horizon allows us to observe?

After all, we have all sorts of telescopes using all sorts of energy to make observations. Why not dark energy as well?

Nothng like an expert here but haven't they established that information cannot travel faster than light? Whatever dark energy/matter actually is it will still have to conform to the physical laws of the universe.

Nothng like an expert here but haven't they established that information cannot travel faster than light? Whatever dark energy/matter actually is it will still have to conform to the physical laws of the universe.

Please note my user name - Newton believed in both the Bible and science and researched both.

True as Job 38:33 says the universe is governed by laws, but I am of the opinion that dark energy is one form of energy that God is using to stretch out the universe - Isaiah 40:22,26. I am not sure that all of the forms of energy God has are bounded by the speed of light. Btw spirit/Hebrew ruahh/Greek pnuema means invisible active force aka invisible energy.

Isaiah 40:26 indicates that stars owe their existence to God's power (Hebrew singular koach) and dynamic energy (Hebrew plural ohnim). Since God is invisible, it would make sense the some of the plural forms of energy God has are also invisible. Two forms that we know of that are involved in the expansion of the universe, gravity and dark energy, are invisible. [Note: Covid is only invisible to the naked eye.]

Now OP is a question involving the speed of dark energy and to my knowledge we do not know that speed. There may be other laws of physics which we are not aware of (yet) involved. Some scientists think that at the origin of our universe in a singularity the laws of physics break down. I think it is simply that other laws of physics are involved with at least one other form of energy involved: dark energy. I don't believe either the law of conservation of matter and energy (E=Mc^2) or the principle of cause and effect were or are violated. But I do consider the possibility that the instant of expansion may have been FTL - otherwise how could some dark holes have no set course and be in darkness eternally if they have not escaped both the gravity and light of our universe as hinted at in Jude 13?

There may simply be other laws involved both with how dark energy is propagated or its speed. Scientists have proposed the existence of tachyons which travel FTL but cannot travel slower than the speed of light.

Evidently prayers travel FTL/faster than light. We don't know how but we can speculate scientifically as to how. In that case it is seems to be the speed of thought rather than the speed of sound involved since God can read our thoughts - but how? It cannot be simply electrical brain activity since electromagnetic force cannot go FTL.

A side question - are we sure of the speed of gravity or of gravitons? Or how gravity is propagated?
I think gravitational radiation or waves are limited by the speed of light?

For me personally, one reason I love science is the joy of discovery. Who knows what else we may discover in future or even present research? Certainly Romans 1:20 invites us to study "the things made" which involves all branches of scientific research. And also certainly many new things (new to us) will be discovered!

Of course, we need humility to make advancements in science - we are not and never will be know it alls - but we will continue to discover and learn forever (Ecclesiastes 3:11)!

So, will we one day have dark energy telescopes?

Please note my user name - Newton believed in both the Bible and science and researched both.

True as Job 38:33 says the universe is governed by laws, but I am of the opinion that dark energy is one form of energy that God is using to stretch out the universe - Isaiah 40:22,26. I am not sure that all of the forms of energy God has are bounded by the speed of light. Btw spirit/Hebrew ruahh/Greek pnuema means invisible active force aka invisible energy.

Isaiah 40:26 indicates that stars owe their existence to God's power (Hebrew singular koach) and dynamic energy (Hebrew plural ohnim). Since God is invisible, it would make sense the some of the plural forms of energy God has are also invisible. Two forms that we know of that are involved in the expansion of the universe, gravity and dark energy, are invisible. [Note: Covid is only invisible to the naked eye.]

Now OP is a question involving the speed of dark energy and to my knowledge we do not know that speed. There may be other laws of physics which we are not aware of (yet) involved. Some scientists think that at the origin of our universe in a singularity the laws of physics break down. I think it is simply that other laws of physics are involved with at least one other form of energy involved: dark energy. I don't believe either the law of conservation of matter and energy (E=Mc^2) or the principle of cause and effect were or are violated. But I do consider the possibility that the instant of expansion may have been FTL - otherwise how could some dark holes have no set course and be in darkness eternally if they have not escaped both the gravity and light of our universe as hinted at in Jude 13?

There may simply be other laws involved both with how dark energy is propagated or its speed. Scientists have proposed the existence of tachyons which travel FTL but cannot travel slower than the speed of light.

Evidently prayers travel FTL/faster than light. We don't know how but we can speculate scientifically as to how. In that case it is seems to be the speed of thought rather than the speed of sound involved since God can read our thoughts - but how? It cannot be simply electrical brain activity since electromagnetic force cannot go FTL.

A side question - are we sure of the speed of gravity or of gravitons? Or how gravity is propagated?
I think gravitational radiation or waves are limited by the speed of light?

For me personally, one reason I love science is the joy of discovery. Who knows what else we may discover in future or even present research? Certainly Romans 1:20 invites us to study "the things made" which involves all branches of scientific research. And also certainly many new things (new to us) will be discovered!

Of course, we need humility to make advancements in science - we are not and never will be know it alls - but we will continue to discover and learn forever (Ecclesiastes 3:11)!

So, will we one day have dark energy telescopes?
No. Dark energy, if it actually exists, is hidden away in the fabric of spacetime as quantum fluctuations rather than the familiar kind of energy that propagates through space. It's just a term for energy that the equations say should be there but is at yet not detectable. The theorized FTL expansion of the universe does not involve any matter or energy actually traveling that fast. Think of a rubber band, you can rapidly stretch the ends apart but no small part of the thing is traveling as fast as the two ends relative to each other. On a local level the expansion of the universe is undetectable and may only be observed by looking at the other end of time and calculating the relative speed of the furthest objects we can detect.

Occupied - I respect your belief(s). But if you research 'vacuum energy' (aka cosmological constant) there is reference to its connection with dark energy:

Vacuum Energy, or Einstein's Blunder - Dark Energy - HETDEX

"Vacuum Energy, or Einstein’s Blunder

If Las Vegas were taking bets on dark energy, the odds would favor a concept known as vacuum energy or the cosmological constant. In essence, it suggests that space itself produces energy, which is "pushing" the universe outward....

When dark energy was discovered, though, many physicists began to think that Einstein’s only blunder was in removing the constant. This "repulsive" force could begin to explain the acceleration of the universe. In other words, it might be the dark energy.

Today, physicists explain the cosmological constant as the vacuum energy of space."

And, yes, I know that FTL expansion of the universe is actually expansion of the space-time fabric of the universe. This, however, does not prove dark energy cannot exceed the speed of light. The expansion is the effect, not the cause.

Oh, btw, spectral red shift is said to indicate expansion - but there are sources that are blue shifted.

"Although a random galaxy very, very, very far away from own Milky Way will have a red shift, Andromeda is a fellow member of our local galaxy group. Andromeda and the Milky Way are currently on a collision trajectory and they will eventually merge in a few billion years. Since Andromeda is approaching the earth at a high velocity it will have a slight blue shift that is greater than that of the universe expansion rate."

Actually our universe is on a sort of river in space that is heading towards the Great Attractor along with thousands of other galaxies - also heading towards the Shapley supercluster even further away.

Occupied - I respect your belief(s). But if you research 'vacuum energy' (aka cosmological constant) there is reference to its connection with dark energy:

Vacuum Energy, or Einstein's Blunder - Dark Energy - HETDEX

"Vacuum Energy, or Einstein’s Blunder

If Las Vegas were taking bets on dark energy, the odds would favor a concept known as vacuum energy or the cosmological constant. In essence, it suggests that space itself produces energy, which is "pushing" the universe outward....

When dark energy was discovered, though, many physicists began to think that Einstein’s only blunder was in removing the constant. This "repulsive" force could begin to explain the acceleration of the universe. In other words, it might be the dark energy.

Today, physicists explain the cosmological constant as the vacuum energy of space."

And, yes, I know that FTL expansion of the universe is actually expansion of the space-time fabric of the universe. This, however, does not prove dark energy cannot exceed the speed of light. The expansion is the effect, not the cause.

Oh, btw, spectral red shift is said to indicate expansion - but there are sources that are blue shifted.

"Although a random galaxy very, very, very far away from own Milky Way will have a red shift, Andromeda is a fellow member of our local galaxy group. Andromeda and the Milky Way are currently on a collision trajectory and they will eventually merge in a few billion years. Since Andromeda is approaching the earth at a high velocity it will have a slight blue shift that is greater than that of the universe expansion rate."

Actually our universe is on a sort of river in space that is heading towards the Great Attractor along with thousands of other galaxies - also heading towards the Shapley supercluster even further away.
You didn't say anything that contradicts what I said. It was the greatest disappointment to find that there is a cosmic speed limit. If dark energy somehow does exceed the speed of light then it can carry no information or interact with normal matter while it is doing it. It might as well not exist at all.

Forum List

Back