Could the US defeat China in a CONVENTIONAL war?

There is more to consider. How is morale in all military branches?

How was that Afghan withdraw?

I do not see the people who planned that abortion defeating China.

The Afghan war withdraw was going to be messy. But from a strategic perspective....we lost 13 people in suicide bombings. While an absolute tragedy, that's a fraction of what we lost in Beruit alone. That's a morning's losses in Korea, Germany or Vietnam.

You're too focused on the party in power and too fixated on playing 'gotcha'. The fundamentals of US/NATO military preparedness largely transcend party, existing as the product of decades of work by some of the most immaculately trained military commanders in modern history....and an allied coalition of professional armies.

I do not think so at all.

If I am wrong, explain how the US would defeat China in an all out conventional war. Specifically.

We (US military forces, that is) would position our Naval Fleet east of Taiwan (use your imagination). This would represent the climax of a months long build up of US forces in the region to bolster US forces already present on regional rotational deployments. Simultaneously, US Naval and Naval air forces would launch mass ballistic and cruise missile strikes from vessels and aircraft targeting Chinese military bases, ships, radar installations, low orbit satellites and infrastructure, such as power and other utility plants.

On the heels of constant US missile bombardment and round the clock bombing sorties, US Marines would conduct coordinated amphibious landings at multiple key strategic Chinese coastal areas while US Army Airborne forces parachuted into key Chinese population areas to gain a foothold and buy time for mass waves of D-Day like US Army and Marine Landings. Most likely we would launch other invasion fronts from India, Pakistan, the Indian Sea and from Southeast Asian nations.

My prediction: the Chinese air force would last about a day. Once we (US forces) achieved total air superiority the Chinese government would collapse within another two days and the Chinese military would surrender, unconditionally, within a week—probably less. If Chinese military or political authorities resorted to strategic or intercontinental nuclear response we would "Hiroshima" their entire fucking country one fat, overpopulated city at a time.

The whole shebang would be over within two weeks. Two weeks after that we'd install a nice puppet government and resume full production of all the rubber dogshit we buy from the Chinese.

Case closed.

For all this talk about hypersonic weapons, the Chinese are just like the North Koreans. They have a weapon but haven't figured out a way to put the bullet on the target.

Even with nuclear missiles, the NORKs have consistently failed to show they can even hit the broad side of a barn!

When they demonstrate the ability to actually place the ordnance on target, then I will be concerned.
Another rock solid point.

As it stands, the safest place to stand is right where the N. Koreans are aiming. As their missile is going anywhere but there.

We (US military forces, that is) would position our Naval Fleet east of Taiwan (use your imagination). This would represent the climax of a months long build up of US forces in the region to bolster US forces already present on regional rotational deployments. Simultaneously, US Naval and Naval air forces would launch mass ballistic and cruise missile strikes from vessels and aircraft targeting Chinese military bases, ships, radar installations, low orbit satellites and infrastructure, such as power and other utility plants.

On the heels of constant US missile bombardment and round the clock bombing sorties, US Marines would conduct coordinated amphibious landings at multiple key strategic Chinese coastal areas while US Army Airborne forces parachuted into key Chinese population areas to gain a foothold and buy time for mass waves of D-Day like US Army and Marine Landings. Most likely we would launch other invasion fronts from India, Pakistan, the Indian Sea and from Southeast Asian nations.

My prediction: the Chinese air force would last about a day. Once we (US forces) achieved total air superiority the Chinese government would collapse within another two days and the Chinese military would surrender, unconditionally, within a week—probably less. If Chinese military or political authorities resorted to strategic or intercontinental nuclear response we would "Hiroshima" their entire fucking country one fat, overpopulated city at a time.

The whole shebang would be over within two weeks. Two weeks after that we'd install a nice puppet government and resume full production of all the rubber dogshit we buy from the Chinese.

Case closed.

You're wildly optimistic. On issues of face alone, the Chinese military would fight for months or years, even if they lost at every step.

China has a long history of exam based promotion. The folks in their military aren't the poor looking for a college education or folks who had no better option. They compete for the opportunity to serve....where as the US/NATO either conscripts or actively tries to find recruits, often failing to meet quotas. They are well trained. They are highly motivated. They are in superb physical condition.

Their technical acumen, logistical scheme and ability to project power is thoroughly debatable. But this scenario where they surrender the air in a day and surrender completely in a week is dangerous self deception.

Any direct military conflict between the US and China would either be very quick, followed by face saving manuevers before there were many losses on either side, or very long. Where China is fighting for honor and willing to lose lives, which they have in abundance.

Do not underestimate the deep scars in the national psyche of China caused by the humilations of Opium Wars and the Japanese invasion. They have the chippiest chip on their shoulder and an unearned sense of entitlement. "All Roads Lead to China" isn't an errant phrase. Its burned into their collective national will.

The US lost 40k in Korea. The N. Koreans and Chinese lost an estimated 400,00 to 600,000. That will tell you the willingness to incur losses in China as a foe, if it ever came to that again. They can literally lose a BILLION people, and there would still be more Chinese than there are Americans.

Last edited:
For all this talk about hypersonic weapons, the Chinese are just like the North Koreans. They have a weapon but haven't figured out a way to put the bullet on the target.
That may be. And if so, that’s good news.
Even with nuclear missiles, the NORKs have consistently failed to show they can even hit the broad side of a barn!
Again. I appreciate the good news.
When they demonstrate the ability to actually place the ordnance on target, then I will be concerned.

I hope we have great intel to give us an early warning; and I also hope that we prepare accordingly. I won’t worry about a Chinese army invasion if they can’t get those troops transported here.

Case closed.
Nice work of fiction that has no bearing on reality! Expand that into a novel because your story has way too many plot holes!

Could the US defeat China in a CONVENTIONAL war?​

Not with Democrats in charge....

How in the fuck would that happen? Are they going to swim?

My God, get the mods to change your username. My dog would make a better soldier than you.

I'm assuming commercial flights with the invasion starting in the baggage area of DFW, O'Hare and Laguardia?

I do not think so at all.

If I am wrong, explain how the US would defeat China in an all out conventional war. Specifically.
There is no such thing as a conventional war. It’s all fought with the use of cyberspace.

Hypersonic missiles are absolutely conventional if they're carrying non-nuclear payloads. Conventional is about payload, not the speed of the missile.

Basically, if its not a WMD, its conventional.
You mean a drone is conventional war .
?

There is no such thing as a conventional war. It’s all fought with the use of cyberspace.

Bullshit. Cyberwarfare is nascent at best. Its got potential, but even fully realized its only a part.

Ask the Ukrainian military if they're killing Russian soldiers with 'cyberspace'.

Forum List

Back