Could The Trinity Doctrine Be Wrong?

Neither term bothers me. Since you seem bothered that the word "Trinity" does not appear in the Bible, I was wondering why "Godhead" didn't bother you just as much.

The reason neither bothers me is that they both refer to the essence of the Divine. "Essence" doesn't appear either. What do you consider the essence of God?
My personal opinion of the "essence of God" is immaterial. We are discussing what is actually in the Bible, which is purported to be the complete and final word of God. If you believe there are other valid sources that supersede what is in the Bible, then please list them, and explain why or how any other source/sources are more credible.

My personal opinion of the "essence of God" is immaterial. We are discussing what is actually in the Bible, which is purported to be the complete and final word of God. If you believe there are other valid sources that supersede what is in the Bible, then please list them, and explain why or how any other source/sources are more credible.
Suggesting Trinity "supersedes" what is in the Bible, is inaccurate. Applying a later name in a different language as a synonym to what is written in the Bible is inevitable. Unless, of course, people wish to go back to the original Hebrew, and I don't find many who do.

Do you know any other language than English? If so, you know there is no such thing as an exact translation. A translation from a picturesque language into a subjective language is an even greater challenge.

What you consider the essence of God has very much to do with this conversation. God's essence is indivisible, which is also a teaching of the Trinity--God's essence is indivisible. From there we can consider how God manifests Himself throughout scripture: As Creator, as Spirit, as Word, as Judge, as Protector, and so on. Still an indivisible essence whether He is being portrayed first as Judge, then as Protector, as Law Giver, etc. God is all these things, yet still the indivisible, One. Naming that indivisible One "Trinity" is synonymous with what is in the Bible. In fact, it emphasizes it.

Wait, even though Mary's the mother of Jesus, only the Catholics believe that she should be worshipped with the Father and Son. Although, I do believe that Catholicism is the oldest religion so other religions might of originally believed in that as well before branching of from it.
Mary should not be worshiped. NOT a Catholic teaching...you stirrer!!! lol

Greg

Nah; the Bible is the House Papers of the RC Church. They were sieved through by The Church in about 300AD. We Catholics picked the ones we liked best.........OK; they had to have been INSPIRED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT.......

"
  • 380 A.D. The Latin Vulgate was translated by St. Jerome. He translated into Latin the Old Testament from the Hebrew and the New Testament from Greek. The Latin Vulgate became the Bible of the Western Church until the Protestant Reformation in the 1500's. It continues to be the authoritative translation of the Roman Catholic Church to this day. The Protestant Reformation saw an increase in translations of the Bible into the common languages of the people."
How it all happened was amazing.

Trust the Germans to muck it up!!!

Greg

This actually sounds like it could be the more I think about it.

Hi Doc,

It's a mystery...hence beyond human comprehension. The Trinity just is.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. "...."and the Word was made Flesh and dwelt amongst us".....

"And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:.."

1-2-3

I don't overthink it.

Greg

Suggesting Trinity "supersedes" what is in the Bible, is inaccurate. Applying a later name in a different language as a synonym to what is written in the Bible is inevitable. Unless, of course, people wish to go back to the original Hebrew, and I don't find many who do.

Do you know any other language than English? If so, you know there is no such thing as an exact translation. A translation from a picturesque language into a subjective language is an even greater challenge.

What you consider the essence of God has very much to do with this conversation. God's essence is indivisible, which is also a teaching of the Trinity--God's essence is indivisible. From there we can consider how God manifests Himself throughout scripture: As Creator, as Spirit, as Word, as Judge, as Protector, and so on. Still an indivisible essence whether He is being portrayed first as Judge, then as Protector, as Law Giver, etc. God is all these things, yet still the indivisible, One. Naming that indivisible One "Trinity" is synonymous with what is in the Bible. In fact, it emphasizes it.
I don't need to be able to speak another language to be able to accept a translation of that language from a credible source. It's what every English only speaking person does when he reads the bible.

Again, my personal belief, or lack thereof doesn't matter. I don't have to share your religion to discuss what is written in the Bible any more than I have to believe in magic to discuss a Harry Potter book. The actual text is all that matters. We are discussing what the Bible says about the issue, and only what the Bible says about it. You have shown what some think might have been meant, but no supporting text from the Bible, and no credible translation of the original text. With something so central to Christian beliefs, actual unambiguous text, or credible translation is the least that is required for such an important claim.

Yes, I have.
Noted that you didn't include the complete remark.
You have shown what some think might have been meant, but no supporting text from the Bible, and no credible translation of the original text.

Tbh I'm very interested in learning more about Catholicism. Not to convert to it (necessarily), just to actually know what its teachings and doctrines are, and why.
At present I attend a baptist church and consider myself nondenominational.

Noted that you didn't include the complete remark.
You have shown what some think might have been meant, but no supporting text from the Bible, and no credible translation of the original text.
What are you trying to say?

I have said quite plainly that the Bible describes God in various ways with various powers and says God's essence is one. Trinity describes God in various ways with various powers and quite plainly says God's essence is one. The language (Hebrew to English) differ, yet the meaning remains the same.

We both agree the word "Trinity" is not in the Bible--neither in Hebrew or English. Like the Midrash and Talmud it is commentary, explanation, summary of the Bible and with no contradiction. As I said earlier, if like some Pentecostal churches, you prefer the word Oneness, go for it. All you need to know is that with Trinity God is One in essence. If you are trying to give Trinity another meaning, shrug. Just because you give it your own meaning doesn't mean those who understand Trinity follow you.

Tbh I'm very interested in learning more about Catholicism. Not to convert to it (necessarily), just to actually know what its teachings and doctrines are, and why.
At present I attend a baptist church and consider myself nondenominational.
I have good friends who are Baptists though they say I'm going to hell. Might be true. But I have a few ideas. Check out your local Parish church and tell them you're interested. If they don't put you in a cage and hoist you up to the heights of the Cathedral like the Good Old days then they should put you on the right track. But for some real meat; all that Bible stuff can get boring...I suggest reading the Father Brown Stories by G K Chesterton. Far less boring than sermons and Bible Study...and I've "done" both.

“Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.”
― G.K. Chesterton

“The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because generally they are the same people.”
― G.K. Chesterton

“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”
― G.K. Chesterton

GK and the Catechism are good; Thomas Aquinas is a bit hard depending on your propensities or pretensions.

Basically we are saved through FAITH, but Faith without works is dead. But hey; only God knows where you sit on that.

Greg

What are you trying to say?

I have said quite plainly that the Bible describes God in various ways with various powers and says God's essence is one. Trinity describes God in various ways with various powers and quite plainly says God's essence is one. The language (Hebrew to English) differ, yet the meaning remains the same.

We both agree the word "Trinity" is not in the Bible--neither in Hebrew or English. Like the Midrash and Talmud it is commentary, explanation, summary of the Bible and with no contradiction. As I said earlier, if like some Pentecostal churches, you prefer the word Oneness, go for it. All you need to know is that with Trinity God is One in essence. If you are trying to give Trinity another meaning, shrug. Just because you give it your own meaning doesn't mean those who understand Trinity follow you.
I don't think I want to understand the Trinity. I'm flat out just accepting It exists.

I think someone said "Three folds in one Blanket"...........................................................but understand?? Beyond me.

Greg

I don't think I want to understand the Trinity. I'm flat out just accepting It exists.
That is best. The Bible tells us God and His ways are far beyond our understanding. Sometimes it is fun to try, but in the end trying to understand our life here on earth is enough for any human to manage.

MY you sound heavenly. Do you think that is true or false? Don't look foolish when you answer.

His post was a feeble attempt to link atheism with that rubbish because they have no other defence.

The rest is blatant lies and designed to entice gullible people like you to believe eternal life and a loving Jesus awaits you.
Utter bullshit and that's what you teach little kids in preparation for them to be brainwashed in God shit.

His post was a feeble attempt to link atheism with that rubbish because they have no other defence.

The rest is blatant lies and designed to entice gullible people like you to believe eternal life and a loving Jesus awaits you.
Utter bullshit and that's what you teach little kids in preparation for them to be brainwashed in God shit.
What a shame even wankers like you can be forgiven...after a jolly good session on the RACK or Triangle!!!!

Greg

What a shame even wankers like you can be forgiven...after a jolly good session on the RACK or Triangle!!!!

Greg

The sad part is grown human beings who hold good jobs and make major decisions participate in the rubbish as if it were legislated.
It's an indictment on humanity to think you people still exist.

My point is, not one of you have evidence of this mumbo jumbo. Miracles, immaculate conception and virgin births,
Yet you call me a wanker.

Do you ever read what you post then anticipate what others will think?
Have you ever researched this shit outside the bible for factual or possible evidence? It's all bullshit and you've been conned because you are fearful of death.

The sad part is grown human beings who hold good jobs and make major decisions participate in the rubbish as if it were legislated.
It's an indictment on humanity to think you people still exist.

My point is, not one of you have evidence of this mumbo jumbo. Miracles, immaculate conception and virgin births,
Yet you call me a wanker.

Do you ever read what you post then anticipate what others will think?
Have you ever researched this shit outside the bible for factual or possible evidence? It's all bullshit and you've been conned because you are fearful of death.
Dilligaf??

Greg

Forum List

Back