Contact Congressmen About THIS. Now.

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
We all are suffering with this, and it could be fixed, with some type of legislation. Business and government are equally GUILTY. You make a phone call. First you are RUDELY intercepted by a recording which makes you wait through a serious of choices of things, none of which you're interested in.

If you've called that number before, you've gotten a little better at how to get through, but you're always annoyingly detained. IF you can make it to the point of getting a live person on the phone, you will suffer through a long time of repetitive hold music.

We all know the scoop here. Saving money by minimizing salaries (of customer service phone operators). As a former business owner, I sympathize, but I also sympathize with all of us being tormented by telephone multiple menu recordings and longgggggg hold times.

The solution is obvious. Hire more people to answer the damn phones. We'er in our worst economy since the 1930's. Unemployment is high. Plenty of people out there looking for a job. Sure, a lot of businesses are shut down, but government isn't, and neither are these companies we're making calls to. Also, by getting more people working, that increases sales in the stores, which is what businesses are always wanting.

I hate to go to the government to regulate business, but doing something about long hold times, would reduce unemployment, help the economy, and get us back to actually being able to make a reasonable phone call again, like in the good old days before answering machines were invented. You called somebody up, and they picked up the phone and said "Hello".

Saves money ... why pay someone $10/hr for something that can be done with software? ...

I recently went through this with an ISP repair issue ... finally got through to the billing dep't, some chap with a thick South Asian accent ... so I asked him why a repair call was routed to billing ... he said:

"Almost half the 'internet out' complaints is because the bill is way overdue and their service has been cut" ...

He connected me over to repair and someone answered right away ... "Sorry we can't get anyone out there today, will first thing tomorrow be okay?" ... it was a bummer I had to spend 15 minutes navigating through the software but I got my repair service in less than 18 hours ... I can accept that trade-off ...

We all are suffering with this, and it could be fixed, with some type of legislation. Business and government are equally GUILTY. You make a phone call. First you are RUDELY intercepted by a recording which makes you wait through a serious of choices of things, none of which you're interested in.

If you've called that number before, you've gotten a little better at how to get through, but you're always annoyingly detained. IF you can make it to the point of getting a live person on the phone, you will suffer through a long time of repetitive hold music.

We all know the scoop here. Saving money by minimizing salaries (of customer service phone operators). As a former business owner, I sympathize, but I also sympathize with all of us being tormented by telephone multiple menu recordings and longgggggg hold times.

The solution is obvious. Hire more people to answer the damn phones. We'er in our worst economy since the 1930's. Unemployment is high. Plenty of people out there looking for a job. Sure, a lot of businesses are shut down, but government isn't, and neither are these companies we're making calls to. Also, by getting more people working, that increases sales in the stores, which is what businesses are always wanting.

I hate to go to the government to regulate business, but doing something about long hold times, would reduce unemployment, help the economy, and get us back to actually being able to make a reasonable phone call again, like in the good old days before answering machines were invented. You called somebody up, and they picked up the phone and said "Hello".

Have you checked the children?

Whiny wingnut is whiny.

Thanks for your response.

To request a reply here at US Message Baards, press 1.

To request to leave another message, press 2.

To avoid Leftist trolls, press 3

To blow up this answering machine into a thousand little bits, press 4.

You'll have to excuse me if I am not on board with expanding the government and more business regulations b/c you get annoyed by the automated answering services and hold times.

You want the government to regulate businesses answering machines? LMAO!!

Yeah, I think you never get to whine about liberals wanting big government again. Ever.

Yeah, I think you never get to whine about liberals wanting big government again. Ever.
I have mentioned a preference for government regulation before. This isn't the only one.

Last edited:
You'll have to excuse me if I am not on board with expanding the government and more business regulations b/c you get annoyed by the automated answering services and hold times.
It's never a good idea to judge a fundamental policy (ex.business regulation) as a whole, and cast a judgement positive or negative on it. Generally, I oppose business regulation, but depending on the specifics, some of it is necessary and good.

In other countries, where building construction is underregulated (or unregulated entirely), people get killed when their houses collapse on top of them. Just one example >>>

Do what I do. When you get crappy service from some company vote with your feet and fire the miserable bastards. This is what we get by putting MBA asshats in charge of businesses. In my day some of the dumbest bastards in school were business majors. If they were flunking science or engineering courses they'd switch majors to business, education or phs ed so they could stay in school to avoid the draft. Now we're over run with dumbasses.

Do what I do. When you get crappy service from some company vote with your feet and fire the miserable bastards. This is what we get by putting MBA asshats in charge of businesses. In my day some of the dumbest bastards in school were business majors. If they were flunking science or engineering courses they'd switch majors to business, education or phs ed so they could stay in school to avoid the draft. Now we're over run with dumbasses.
I hear ya. Trouble is this incessant rudeness to all of us, has become the new normal, and is widespread-common. Time to put our collective feet down.

I have mentioned a preference for government regulation before. This isn't the only one.

And I have mentioned that yuo are not a conservative on many occasions.

Saves money ... why pay someone $10/hr for something that can be done with software?
This shows the need for government intervention.

BTW, you get that $10 hour BACK, as millions of people get hired, increasing your SALE$$$.

Saves money ... why pay someone $10/hr for something that can be done with software?
This shows the need for government intervention.

BTW, you get that $10 hour BACK, as millions of people get hired, increasing your SALE$$$.

So all these busineses are being run by idiots, and you (in all your wisdom) just want to save them? By putting the gov't in charge of their call centers and customer service phone lines? lol

Because the gov't is SO much more efficient. Ever try calling the VA to schedule and appointment? lol

And I have mentioned that yuo are not a conservative on many occasions.
Not "many", but some, yes. Although I fully support Trump's big corporate tax cut, I also advocate very high taxes on rich individuals. This could be done selectively :biggrin: >>>

1590007537663.png
1590007594215.png
1590007626891.png
1590007654963.png
1590007706920.png

Note: Of the last dozen US presidents taxes on the rich were generally higher with Republicans. Eisenhower - 92%, Nixon 77%, Ford 70%. Clinton and Obama had 35-39%

Last edited:
Not all businesses do that shit. When I run into one I put the effort into finding an acceptable alternative that doesn't. OK, sometimes it's not possible but surprisingly often it is. Also, if you have no choice but finally connect with a helpful person ask for their direct number or extension number for when you need to call again.

And you will.

Need to.

Forum List

Back