College wrestler in Kentucky died from heatstroke after his coaches refused his desperate requests for water during practice due to poor performance

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
9-1-1...what's your emergency? screaming SOS it's an emergency, the sky is falling down, there is no escape!

Cutting weight is always the bane of that sport. Something like that started happening to me when we were doing two-a-days in the 95 degree heat for football and the coaches and trainers were all over me before I even knew what was going on. It is not a fun feeling.

Is this when we are supposed talk about the good ol days when we did 2-a-day practices in the Texas heat with nowhere near the same precautions that we take today...because of how tough we were...and how these kids today or soft?

Is this when we are supposed talk about the good ol days when we did 2-a-day practices in the Texas heat with nowhere near the same precautions that we take today...because of how tough we were...and how these kids today or soft?
Our two and three a day practices were in August with temps sometimes exceeding 110F at 4,400' above sea level. That's pretty brutal.

Our coaches however were smart enough to know that heat injuries are a real thing and made sure we had water and/or Gatorade available and we'd take a break at least every half hour to grab something to drink and get in the shade to cool down.

We never lost anyone to a heat injury.

Forum List

Back