Citing rise of ‘Christian nationalism,’ Secular Democrats unveil sweeping recommendations for Biden

i don’t think it’s a requirement either nor does what you quote say it’s a requirement

If a major political organization of Evangelical Christians are operating under a loosely stated identity of Christian Nationalists and have one of their views regarding a historical fact that America was founded as a Christian Nation, don’t yuh think its fair for those outside that group to ask what being a Christian actually means.

Evangelical Christians are pretty much open that their definition fits what RLand said.

“A Christian is someone who has a personal relationship with Jesus and has entered into a redeemed state”

Si If a nation does not require it citizens to a have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and has entered into a redeemed state then why should we refer to that nation as Christian Nation?
Sure ask away...and this group....I don't know if it's "major" is free to have the views and opinions they want. Evangelical Christians, aren't all Christians...and aren't even close to the majority of Christians.

and that's great they can have that defination. I don't really go around questioning anyone personal faith with God. It's not my business.

We shouldn't...I never called the US a Christian Nation.....I said it was however founded greatly on Judeo-Christian values.

I frankly, have no idea where you got the idea that I ever said we were founded as a Christian Nation.

You asked?

What in the world is Christian Nationalism?

So as I began to explain to you what Christian Nationalism is you instinctively as a Christian began to defend in your replies the notion that America was founded as a Christian Nation

If you don’t believe that America was founded as a Christian Nation, I have no idea why you brought up the founders were greatly influenced by Judeo Christian values, That’s because that fact of life back then does not justify the politically charged historical revisionism by the white evangelical Christian Nationalists in Trump’s base, to say that America was founded as a Christian nation.

I frankly, have no idea where you got the idea that I ever said we were founded as a Christian Nation.

You asked?

What in the world is Christian Nationalism?

So as I began to explain to you what Christian Nationalism is you instinctively as a Christian began to defend in your replies the notion that America was founded as a Christian Nation

If you don’t believe that America was founded as a Christian Nation, I have no idea why you brought up the founders were greatly influenced by Judeo Christian values, That’s because that fact of life back then does not justify the politically charged historical revisionism by the white evangelical Christian Nationalists in Trump’s base, to say that America was founded as a Christian nation.
I asked what Christian m waa,...I didn't say were were a Christian Nation. In the defination you provided, nowhere does it say that Christian Nationalism, believes we are a Christian Nation or wants us to be.

No, I never once said, or defended the idea that were are a Christian Nation. I have stated, repeatedly that were were founded on Judeo-Christian values. That is not hte same as being a Christian Nation.
Because being founded and influenced by values, does not in fact make a nation a Christian Nation. In fact, just the opposite...those values, created a nation of religious freedom.

Feed em to the lions! :auiqs.jpg:
Do we even have that many lions available?

Church and state are separated for good reasons.
Too much blurring of those lines in the last four decades.
No one is attacking your right to practice your religion.
We just don't want it shoved down our throats...that's all.

Too funny, yes they are, you're just too lazy to read the article AND the document.

I did read it. Here's the only paragraph that's relevant.
Organized religion, in ANY form, has NO place in government at the federal and state level.
If you really believe in the Constitution, this wouldn't be an issue for you.

"A Democratic group dedicated to representing secular values unveiled a slate of recommendations for President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration on Monday (Nov. 30), outlining a sweeping agenda designed to roll back many of President Trump’s actions involving religion and to “restore a vision of constitutional secularism.”
Organized religion which includes Communism has no place in the government------

---I'm an atheist btw. Everyone needs something to believe in-------and it would seem our chi-com and Soros paid off dems are wanting people to believe in communism instead of christianity. This isn't a step up but down.

In the defination you provided, nowhere does it say that Christian Nationalism, believes we are a Christian Nation or wants us to be.

Christian nationalists have as theit basis of their entire belief system that America was founded as a Christian nation and it needs to be returned do it original Christian roots

some things go without saying but hopefully my explanation here satisfies you.

The Christian nationalist woman that I quoted was telling us that the founders believed there was a covenant with God of the Judeo Christian Bible and that was their vision for America. That’s the complete oppositeOf religious freedom. That’s why I say white evangelical Christian nationalists are lying about the Christian founding of America.

have stated, repeatedly that were were founded on Judeo-Christian values. That is not hte same as being a Christian Nation.

religious freedom as we know it in the constitution is not a Judeo Christian value. As far as I’m concerned Madison and Jefferson’s fight for religious freedom against religious people at the time is one of the most important reasons why America is exceptional. I have no way to credit religious freedom to the Judeo Christian tradition after 1700 years of Christianity in Europe.

I will give credit to the Judeo Christian values they did affect the phone but I would definitely not broad brush it as you do.

In the defination you provided, nowhere does it say that Christian Nationalism, believes we are a Christian Nation or wants us to be.

Christian nationalists have as theit basis of their entire belief system that America was founded as a Christian nation and it needs to be returned do it original Christian roots

some things go without saying but hopefully my explanation here satisfies you.

The Christian nationalist woman that I quoted was telling us that the founders believed there was a covenant with God of the Judeo Christian Bible and that was their vision for America. That’s the complete oppositeOf religious freedom. That’s why I say white evangelical Christian nationalists are lying about the Christian founding of America.
1) I didn't see that in the quote you have provided. Which is the quote I said I see nothing wrong with.
2) I didn't see that in the quote...and I highlighted that I disagreed that the Mayflower Compact was an agreement with God. I also don't believe that if you believe we were founded on Judeo-Christian values, (which we were), or that you believe we are blessed by God, or exceptional because of that blessing...that we are a Christian Nation. We are a Nation, that was founded on the idea that any religion is welcome here. We did get that, tolerance, from our founders influence from Judeo-Christian values

Feed em to the lions! :auiqs.jpg:
Do we even have that many lions available?

Church and state are separated for good reasons.
Too much blurring of those lines in the last four decades.
No one is attacking your right to practice your religion.
We just don't want it shoved down our throats...that's all.
Yet you seem be accustomed shoveling your lack of morality and crap down the throats of those that choose to believe in God. You had the choice and now enjoy the path you have chosen. Most importantly do not assume you have the right to dictate the beliefs of others. Lenin and Stalin promoted the same agenda and stance, how did that turn out?

I am a Christian as defined by the defination...I believe in Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity.

I call that sin and salvation Christianity..

The first four founding fathers that became president rejected original sin, salvation through the blood of Christ, and the holy Trinity. Jefferson there is no question. Madison was a strong believer in the freedom of conscience to worship as one pleased. Adams was a Unitarian, scoffed at the idea of original sin basically said that all religions and even atheist get credit for winning the revolution and creating America.

Is it not fair of me to be aggravated when evangelical Christians who believe the same Christian Sin and salvation beliefs as you. are running around Declaring that America was founded as a Christian nation?

We are a Nation, that was founded on the idea that any religion is welcome here. We did get that, tolerance, from our founders influence from Judeo-Christian values

That is not actually more than mildly true.
We got our tolerance from our founders not because of their Judeo Christian values. They were highly rational thinkers. They saw what religious intolerance did in Europe for 1700 years. They visualized what would happen if the new nation they were forming had a government that favored one religion over any other choice of conscious.

it’s precisely because of the lack of tolerance between all the sects of Protestantism and protestant contempt for Catholicism in the colonies that the founders made sure the constitution deliberately showed no mention of Judeo Christian values. The federal government was to have none of it.

"Rise of Christian nationalism"? Democrats are sounding more like nazis every day.

What is it?

IChristianity on display at Capitol riot sparks new debate By ELANA SCHOR January 28, 2021

800.jpeg

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Christian imagery and rhetoric on view during this month’s Capitol insurrection are sparking renewed debate about the societal effects of melding Christian faith with an exclusionary breed of nationalism

"

WASHINGTON (RNS) — A Democratic group dedicated to representing secular values unveiled a slate of recommendations for President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration on Monday (Nov. 30), outlining a sweeping agenda designed to roll back many of President Trump’s actions involving religion and to “restore a vision of constitutional secularism.”

The 28-page document, crafted by the Secular Democrats of America PAC, is being presented to the incoming administration by Democratic Representatives Jamie Raskin and Jared Huffman — both co-chairs of the Congressional Freethought Caucus.

The SDA’s agenda offers a wide range of policy recommendations to push back against the so-called “Christian nationalist movement,” which the the group describes as an “extraordinarily well-funded and well-organized” phenomenon whose “extreme and sectarian agenda (was) on constant display under the Trump-Pence administration.”

Work with Congress to incentivize states to increase their vaccination rates by repealing all nonmedical exemptions to mandatory vaccination for children in schools and day care centers. States like California and New York have taken such actions, but only after experiencing severe outbreaks of measles and whooping cough. Parents and children have the right to a school environment free of vaccine preventable diseases. The most vulnerable among us who are medically ineligible for vaccination depend on herd immunity to protect them.

Move along, nothing see here....well except for a direct attack on Religious Liberties that is.

Considering it was secular atheists who murdered over 100 million innocent men, women and children around the world since 1917, I'd say that christians aren't the problem....

I am a Christian as defined by the defination...I believe in Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity.

I call that sin and salvation Christianity..

The first four founding fathers that became president rejected original sin, salvation through the blood of Christ, and the holy Trinity. Jefferson there is no question. Madison was a strong believer in the freedom of conscience to worship as one pleased. Adams was a Unitarian, scoffed at the idea of original sin basically said that all religions and even atheist get credit for winning the revolution and creating America.

Is it not fair of me to be aggravated when evangelical Christians who believe the same Christian Sin and salvation beliefs as you. are running around Declaring that America was founded as a Christian nation?
Ok...not sure what that means.

Ok, I am Catholic, I know they weren't....fine. I like the four founders believe in the Judeo-Christian value that respect freedom of religion and tolerance. I am not sure what you are getting at

We are a Nation, that was founded on the idea that any religion is welcome here. We did get that, tolerance, from our founders influence from Judeo-Christian values

That is not actually more than mildly true.
We got our tolerance from our founders not because of their Judeo Christian values. They were highly rational thinkers. They saw what religious intolerance did in Europe for 1700 years. They visualized what would happen if the new nation they were forming had a government that favored one religion over any other choice of conscious.

it’s precisely because of the lack of tolerance between all the sects of Protestantism and protestant contempt for Catholicism in the colonies that the founders made sure the constitution deliberately showed no mention of Judeo Christian values. The federal government was to have none of it.
Nah, we got our tolarance from Judeo-Christian values, Locke for example.

Tolerance of others, and their faiths, is a Judeo-Christian value.

I am a Christian as defined by the defination...I believe in Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity.....

If you belong to a Christian denomination, do the majority of your congregation support or cant stand him?

Do you believe Trump was chosen by God like almost half of Evangelical Christians do?
A recent survey found that 49 percent of white evangelical Protestants believe Trump was chosen by God.​

Do you have an opinion on this?

According to a report from the National Catholic Register, the exodus of Catholic church members seeking a new spiritual home accelerated during Donald Trump's four years as some Catholic leaders embraced the controversial president to the dismay of parishioners.​

So, why do you hate The United States?

I don’t hate the United States at all. I hate the lies about its founding. Why do you support white Christian nationalists who lie about Anerica’s founding?

The United States was founded by Christians. They all agreed that we have inalienable rights endowed by our creator. There's nothing untrue about that.

I am a Christian as defined by the defination...I believe in Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity.....

If you belong to a Christian denomination, do the majority of your congregation support or cant stand him?

Do you believe Trump was chosen by God like almost half of Evangelical Christians do?
A recent survey found that 49 percent of white evangelical Protestants believe Trump was chosen by God.​

Do you have an opinion on this?

According to a report from the National Catholic Register, the exodus of Catholic church members seeking a new spiritual home accelerated during Donald Trump's four years as some Catholic leaders embraced the controversial president to the dismay of parishioners.​

Who? Trump? I have no idea...I don't go around asking people in my church their political views. Although, some are very vocal with their radical leftist views, the majority don't share their political views.

I have no opinion on what people in the Evangelicals believe or their faith.

As far as people leaving the faith of Trump...well they really weren't that faithful, I suppose. I believe my Priest can have any political views he wants...I don't really care...I'm a Catholic because I believe in the Church's teaching. I do find it funny leftist left the church over that, but didn't over a much bigger issue, the child-abuse and cover up. Tells me all I need to know about those leftist.

Thomas Paine v John Locke
Tolerance of others, and their faiths, is a Judeo-Christian value.

How many centuries has the world been blessed with Christianity as an organized religion and how many months out of those 17 centuries prior to 1780 were any of the adherents to Christianity tolerant of other beliefs or other sects. It was great that John Locke challenged the divine rights of Kings but Locke had none of the revolutionary fire of Thomas Paine and his Common Sense.

Its interesting that you embrace John Locke the Bible reader for his inspirational Judeo-Christian / Enlightenment contribution to the founding of America. But you bypass the Bible debunker DEIST Thomas Paine and his direct indispensable role in the revolt against the Crown and the creation of the most egalitarian form of Government created by the human mind.

On individual rights and liberty Paine blew Locke’s doors off when he passed him by.
John Locke's thought system reserved political influence for those who were eminent both socially and economically. John Locke believed that economic power in the form of money was the real derivation of political power. He felt that predominate political control should be vested within the aristocracy. Those individuals in society who have conspicuous monetary interests should manage government. Citizens lacking pronounced wealth in either property or money did not deserve a voice in the affairs of state. In fact, the aristocracy feared the lower classes because they were the majority within society. A government and society based upon majority rule would not bode well for the nobility.​

In contrast to Locke, Paine believed in rule by the majority as well as universal suffrage so that all citizens could have a voice in government. Locke's philosophy was not designed to support democracy or the welfare of the common man. His social, political and economic beliefs were the antithesis of Thomas Paine's egalitarian views regarding humanity, government and society.​

FYI Tom Paine 1949

I suspect Locke was limited to his belief in the Bible while Paine was unlimited by his rejection of it as the Word of God.

Forum List

Back