Citing rise of ‘Christian nationalism,’ Secular Democrats unveil sweeping recommendations for Biden

What have Christians shoved down your throat?

Donald J Trump. But the gag reflex worked. And now he’s gone absolutely no thanks to White evangelical Christian nationalists.

Did he force you to pray? To read passages in the Bible?
If you recall, according to Obama, he was a half white Christian Nationalist. He lied, but that is the way he presented himself. He shoved Islam down our throats. We are still gagging...

"

WASHINGTON (RNS) — A Democratic group dedicated to representing secular values unveiled a slate of recommendations for President-elect Joe Biden’s incoming administration on Monday (Nov. 30), outlining a sweeping agenda designed to roll back many of President Trump’s actions involving religion and to “restore a vision of constitutional secularism.”

The 28-page document, crafted by the Secular Democrats of America PAC, is being presented to the incoming administration by Democratic Representatives Jamie Raskin and Jared Huffman — both co-chairs of the Congressional Freethought Caucus.

The SDA’s agenda offers a wide range of policy recommendations to push back against the so-called “Christian nationalist movement,” which the the group describes as an “extraordinarily well-funded and well-organized” phenomenon whose “extreme and sectarian agenda (was) on constant display under the Trump-Pence administration.”

Work with Congress to incentivize states to increase their vaccination rates by repealing all nonmedical exemptions to mandatory vaccination for children in schools and day care centers. States like California and New York have taken such actions, but only after experiencing severe outbreaks of measles and whooping cough. Parents and children have the right to a school environment free of vaccine preventable diseases. The most vulnerable among us who are medically ineligible for vaccination depend on herd immunity to protect them.

Move along, nothing see here....well except for a direct attack on Religious Liberties that is.

You've got to give some credit to Christian Nationalists and Christians in general.

You see, their religious freedoms give them the license to violate your Constitutional rights.

It's kind of like RW extremists using the Constitutional right to privacy to keep their communications secret so they can can continue to plot to subvert the US Constitution without being discovered.

Here let me help, you think your Constituional "Rights" supersede ours. They don't. Deal with it.

That's the point entirely! One group's Constitutional rights can't be used to deny another group their Constitutional rights.

As an example, your Constitutional right to free speech doesn't not give you the right to threaten or intimidate someone else who's peacefully, and simply (and lawfully) going about their business.

And herein lies the problem with conservatives because they think their constitutional rights supersede everyone else's.

Did he force you to pray? To read passages in the Bible?

White Christian nationalists put him in the White House where he could do severe damage to American lives and property and he did. Ending with his big lie that inspired the “stop the steal” insurrection against American democracy.

What in the world is Christian Nationalism? The Church gave up of the Papal States a LONG time ago...Christianity has no nation.

What in the world is Christian Nationalism? The Church gave up of the Papal States a LONG time ago Christian Nationalism.Christianity has no nation.

Here is the definition of Christian Nationalism from a white Trump supporting white Christian nationalist.
Christian Nationalism is all about Founding Father visions for this country — the ones that say our guiding principles are those rooted in Judeo-Christianity; the ones that say America is indeed exceptional because America was indeed blessed by God at the beginning; the ones that say this country did indeed have a covenant with God, called the Mayflower Compact; the ones that say it’s this basic beginning that led to all the greatness that America was, is and truly will be.​
That seems to be innocuous but when one knows the history of America from a open factual secular viewpoint one knows that white Protestant Christianity is not what influenced the key Founding Father’s vision for this country.

I don’t accept that America was blessed by God at the beginning; nor did it have a covenant with God in the way that Christian Europeans seized control of the Continent from its original inhabitants and the use of slave labor to ‘civilize’ it.

Last edited:
What in the world is Christian Nationalism? The Church gave up of the Papal States a LONG time ago Christian Nationalism.Christianity has no nation.

Here is the definition of Christian Nationalism from a white Trump supporting white Christian nationalist.
Christian Nationalism is all about Founding Father visions for this country — the ones that say our guiding principles are those rooted in Judeo-Christianity; the ones that say America is indeed exceptional because America was indeed blessed by God at the beginning; the ones that say this country did indeed have a covenant with God, called the Mayflower Compact; the ones that say it’s this basic beginning that led to all the greatness that America was, is and truly will be.​
That seems to be innocuous but when one knows the history of America from a open factual secular viewpoint one knows that white Protestant Christianity is not what influenced the key Founding Father’s vision for this country.
not sure what is wrong with what you quoted.

I do also agree that protestants weren’t the only influence but certainly an influence

I don’t accept that America was blessed by God at the beginning; nor did it have a covenant with God in the way that Christian Europeans seized control of the Continent from its original inhabitants and the use of slave labor to ‘civilize’ it.
arguably though...the biggest influence on the founders was locke...who was a protestant

I do also agree that protestants weren’t the only influence but certainly an influence

When referencing America’s founding era it’s important to reference to Protestants as to what the were the time: white European and vehemently anti-Catholic. They were not as a group inspired by the European Enlightenment that was present in the old world at the time. Do you agree.

When referencing America’s founding era it’s important to reference to Protestants as to what the were the time: white European and vehemently anti-Catholic. They were not as a group inspired by the European Enlightenment that was present in the old world at the time. Do you agree.
i guess it depends on the time frame. I agree at the time of the mayflower in New England that was true.

Not so much years later with Madison, Jefferson, Washington, Pat Henry, etc etc

They were very much influenced by the enlightenment

arguably though...the biggest influence on the founders was locke...who was a protestant

True, Locke was a Protestant, but the revolt in colonial America was not led by sin and salvation Christians that embraced Locke. Practicing Christian weed not likely to have known who Locke was but they would have known Thonas Paine who was inspired by Locke. Paine was as antiChristian as one could get in those times.

When you identify America as a Christian Nation you stamp out many of the greatest minds and patriots like Thomas Paine whom many sin and salvation Christians labeled as an Atheist for writing things like the Age of Reason.

Today’s Christian Nationalists have been distorting America’s founding since the fifties. All lies are harmful and specifically coming from proponents of America’s most dominant religion.

True, Locke was a Protestant, but the revolt in colonial America was not led by sin and salvation Christians that embraced Locke. Practicing Christian weed not likely to have known who Locke was but they would have known Thonas Paine who was inspired by Locke. Paine was as antiChristian as one could get in those times.

When you identify America as a Christian Nation you stamp out many of the greatest minds and patriots like Thomas Paine whom many sin and salvation Christians labeled as an Atheist for writing things like the Age of Reason.

Today’s Christian Nationalists have been distorting America’s founding since the fifties. All lies are harmful and specifically coming from proponents of America’s most dominant religion.
I wasn't talking about "sin and salvation" Christians...nor did I see it in your quote.

Merely, that they were influenced by Judeo-Christian values and thought...and that's true they were.

Paine spoke a lot about God though...even in Common Sense, he discussed how the Kings would fool Israelites into worshiping, idols instead of God, and how they messed the natural order of things that all started with God. not a King.

Protestantism was not an incubating movement for Freedom of Religion and religious toleration in 1774 Colonial America.​
The American Colonies were deeply, profoundly anti-Catholic. Anti-Catholicism was one of the few things the diverse Colonies shared. Colonists were horrified when Britain, with the 1774 Quebec Act, recognized Quebec’s Catholics as deserving equal protection of the law.​

i guess it depends on the time frame. I agree at the time of the mayflower in New England that was true.

Jefferson never had much good to say about organized religion but he really had little use for the CATHOLIC Church.

but here is an historians comment on the topic that I trust;

There was even prevalent, open hostility to Christianity, in the form of anti-Catholicism, in Revolutionary-era America. The American Colonies were deeply, profoundly anti-Catholic. Anti-Catholicism was one of the few things the diverse Colonies shared. Colonists were horrified when Britain, with the 1774 Quebec Act, recognized Quebec’s Catholics as deserving equal protection of the law. The Continental Congress protested, claiming that Catholicism as a religion that had “deluged” Britain in blood and “dispersed impiety, bigotry, persecution, murder and rebellion through every part of the world.”​

"The Origins of American Religious Nationalism."​

By Sam Haselby Sam Haselby is a historian, an editor at Aeon Magazine and the author of "The Origins of American Religious Nationalism."July 4, 2017 at 6:00 AM EDT​

Last edited:
Protestantism was not an incubating movement for Freedom of Religion and religious toleration in 1774 Colonial America.​
The American Colonies were deeply, profoundly anti-Catholic. Anti-Catholicism was one of the few things the diverse Colonies shared. Colonists were horrified when Britain, with the 1774 Quebec Act, recognized Quebec’s Catholics as deserving equal protection of the law.​

Jefferson never had much good to say about organized religion but he really had little use for the CATHOLIC Church.

but here is an historians comment on the topic that I trust;

There was even prevalent, open hostility to Christianity, in the form of anti-Catholicism, in Revolutionary-era America. The American Colonies were deeply, profoundly anti-Catholic. Anti-Catholicism was one of the few things the diverse Colonies shared. Colonists were horrified when Britain, with the 1774 Quebec Act, recognized Quebec’s Catholics as deserving equal protection of the law. The Continental Congress protested, claiming that Catholicism as a religion that had “deluged” Britain in blood and “dispersed impiety, bigotry, persecution, murder and rebellion through every part of the world.”​

"The Origins of American Religious Nationalism."​

By Sam Haselby Sam Haselby is a historian, an editor at Aeon Magazine and the author of "The Origins of American Religious Nationalism."July 4, 2017 at 6:00 AM EDT​
Cool....I didn't realize we were talking about one denomination

I wasn't talking about "sin and salvation" Christians...nor did I see it in your quote.

But we are talking about today’s white Christian Nationalists who are "sin and salvation" Christians. Are we not?
I thought you were talking about the founding, and the defination of Christian Nationalism that was given.

I don't think everyone that supports what you quoted eariler is a "sin and salvation" Christian either

Cool....I didn't realize we were talking about one denomination

White Christian Nationalism is a modern phenomenon that is predominantly driven by white evangelical Protestant Christian who collectively believe that sin and salvation doctrine is essential to being Christian.

It is not a historical fact that America was founded under some Judeo Christian Biblical Covenant with God, and that America has an exceptional relationship with the God of the Bible.

So I’m talking about white evangelical Protestant Christians and a number of Catholics who promote the idea that America was founded as a Christian Nation where sin and salvation doctrine is a must.

I don't think everyone that supports what you quoted eariler is a "sin and salvation" Christian either

Thats right. But most sin and salvation Christians such as Black Evangelical Protestant Christians do not promote the false history that America was founded as a Christian Nation.

Feed em to the lions! :auiqs.jpg:
Do we even have that many lions available?

Church and state are separated for good reasons.
Too much blurring of those lines in the last four decades.
No one is attacking your right to practice your religion.
We just don't want it shoved down our throats...that's all.

What's being shoved down your throats? Be specific.

What's being shoved down your throats? Be specific.

For fifty years I had to hear The falsehoods about the religious, philosophical beliefs, their genius, and secular minded vision of the men who established the greatest nation that is my good fortune to be my country of origin

When Trump embraced the white evangelical Christian purveyors of the false Christian Nation founding to get elected, that is having that lie shoved down the throat of the every Christians and not-Christian American who knows better.

Forum List

Back