Christie vows to raise retirement age to 69

Which option do you prefer: Retire at 69 or make Wall Street pay a Transaction Tax?

• I'm good working until I'm 69

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Make Wall Street pay so I can retire at 62

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
Can vow anything you want. Until we pass a law saying candidate promises have full force of law at least in holding them to them, and if they welch on them they're removed from office summarily, no political candidates campagin promises mean a glob of warm spittle.

Personally I think it's a good idea to raise the SS retirement age.

The social security system was designed when the average life expectancy was 65. You retired at 62 or 65, collected checks for a few years, then died. Now it's 85. People are living longer and collecting longer. Social Security is not going to be able to pay out full benefits in a few years.

You can't take a transaction tax and use it to fund SS. Social Security is self funded by worker and employer contributions- it's not a "tax the other guy" system. You (and your employer) pay in, you get money out (if you live long enough!).

If you want the SS program to survive, the retirement age needs to be raised to 69 or 70 then indexed to life expectancy.

Suck it up bitches!!

Christie entitlement reform plan highlights:

* No impact on current program enrollees
Gov Christie wants to raise retirement age. He is obviously a moron.
Christie Cut entitlements for rich hike retirement age

Here is a much better idea. A transaction tax punishes high frequency trades and short sellers.
Hey fatboy, try this first!!
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/07/b...on-financial-trades-gains-advocates.html?_r=0

Lets take a poll to see which voters prefer.

Well, definatley not the second choice:
The Obama administration has also been lukewarm, expressing sympathy but saying it would be hard to execute, could drive trading overseas and would hurt pension funds and individual investors in addition to banks.

Chrisite...meh'. Non-starter.

The social security system was designed when the average life expectancy was 65. You retired at 62 or 65, collected checks for a few years, then died. Now it's 85. People are living longer and collecting longer. Social Security is not going to be able to pay out full benefits in a few years.

You can't take a transaction tax and use it to fund SS. Social Security is self funded by worker and employer contributions- it's not a "tax the other guy" system. You (and your employer) pay in, you get money out (if you live long enough!).

If you want the SS program to survive, the retirement age needs to be raised to 69 or 70 then indexed to life expectancy.

Suck it up bitches!!

I've never understood a SS tax cap on earnings...what is it, up to $120K now?

Suck it up bitches!!

I've never understood a SS tax cap on earnings...what is it, up to $120K now?

$118,500 for 2015

Suck it up bitches!!
Money is money no matter where it comes from. The SS contributions were supposed to be in a "lockbox" to quote Al Gore. After Clinton robbed the SS trust fund all money comes from one big $4-trillion pot. SS is solvent thru 2030, after that it can only pay 70% of promised benefits...unless we make up the money with a "transaction tax" on Wall Street. The Transaction Tax has two purposes, it raises cash and also inhibits short-sellers and high frequency traders who steal our 401k money.

I'm just amazed Christie is so stupid to try and play the "suck it up bitches" card.

Suck it up bitches!!
Money is money no matter where it comes from. The SS contributions were supposed to be in a "lockbox" to quote Al Gore. After Clinton robbed the SS trust fund all money comes from one big $4-trillion pot. SS is solvent thru 2030, after that it can only pay 70% of promised benefits...unless we make up the money with a "transaction tax" on Wall Street. The Transaction Tax has two purposes, it raises cash and also inhibits short-sellers and high frequency traders who steal our 401k money.

I'm just amazed Christie is so stupid to try and play the "suck it up bitches" card.

Nobody is stealing your 401K money by active trading or short selling. In a free market people are free to trade as much and as often as they like. At the end of the day, "active traders" make far less than regular folks who buy and hold for the long term. There is massive data to back this up. Ever heard the expression : there is no such thing as a free lunch? TINSTAAFL!! Its true. Nobody beats the market over the long term.

Simply raise the retirement age incrementally (we recently did this - from 65 to 67) and tax all earnings. We can do it gradually and systematically. Then index the retirement age to life expectancy.

Presto!! Problem solved permanently. Remember- TINSTAAFL!!

:thup:

Suck it up bitches!!

Nobody is stealing your 401K money by active trading or short selling. In a free market people are free to trade as much and as often as they like. At the end of the day, "active traders" make far less than regular folks who buy and hold for the long term. There is massive data to back this up. Ever heard the expression : there is no such thing as a free lunch? TINSTAAFL!! Its true. Nobody beats the market over the long term.

Simply raise the retirement age incrementally (we recently did this - from 65 to 67) and tax all earnings. We can do it gradually and systematically. Then index the retirement age to life expectancy.

Should probably means test it too. Rush Limbaugh, barrack obama, Clintons, Bushes and Trump don't need the money. Ideally, begin phasing out SS altogether.

Yeah lets cut off the funds of politicians who have a lifetime salary for being voted into the senate, congress or what ever while they find new ways to screw us over.

Suck it up bitches!!

Should probably means test it too. Rush Limbaugh, barrack obama, Clintons, Bushes and Trump don't need the money. Ideally, begin phasing out SS altogether.

I oppose "means testing" on principle. The one redeeming factor about Social Security system is that it is not a welfare system, it's basically an insurance plan administered (poorly) by the government. If you pay in and live to retirement age or become disabled, you get paid back. Period.

If we means test it and eliminate wealthier people, it becomes just another welfare program.

Of course we'll have to increase the retirement age with time, as life expectancies continue to increase.

Social security wasn't built to pay people for 30+ years.

This has nothing to do with Wall Street.

Is this a trick question?

Agreed, but there are problems with that...

Who is going to keep the elderly employed until 69 or whatever age it is determined is eligible for SS, with technology advancing all the time, jobs are being eliminated? And...it is clear the power elite want cheap labor, so they are flooding the nation with immigrants...who may be pushing older workers out of the work force. What about age discrimination? It seems many employers practice it without consequences...

Suck it up bitches!!

Raising the retirement age does not mean that these people will remain employed. We just saw this.

So, basically you just mean: hopefully you die in the process before you get a check. Srsly?

Forum List

Back