Chess Cheating Drama continues......

Toddsterpatriot

Diamond Member
May 3, 2011
Chicago
Magnus Carlsen, World Chess Champion, withdrew from the Sinquefield Cup in St Louis on September 5th after losing to Hans Moke Niemann. Without directly accusing Hans of cheating, he hinted that was the reason for his withdrawal. There is currently no evidence of cheating in this over-the-board tournament, but Hans has admitted to several instances of cheating in online play and has been previously banned by chess.com for cheating.

Hans and Magnus are both playing in the online Julius Baer Generation Cup on Chess24, running from September 18-25. Paired today, Magnus resigned after Niemann's 2nd move.

This link is to a YouTube video of Grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura discussing today's action.

Seriously, how do you cheat at on-line chess?

In in-person chess, I would occasionally exclaim, "HEY! There's a naked lady standing over there!" Then I would move a couple of pieces while my opponent was distracted. I doubt this would work when playing in public or on line.

I've played on chess.com before. I usually fair well against the novice players I've played in person. I usually got my tail kicked on chess.com...the half a dozen to a dozen times I played there. It would have been pretty easy to cheat online by playing a computer chess game at the same time.

In in-person chess, I would occasionally exclaim, "HEY! There's a naked lady standing over there!" Then I would move a couple of pieces while my opponent was distracted. I doubt this would work when playing in public or on line.
I think I just answered your question.

Magnus Carlsen, World Chess Champion, withdrew from the Sinquefield Cup in St Louis on September 5th after losing to Hans Moke Niemann. Without directly accusing Hans of cheating, he hinted that was the reason for his withdrawal. There is currently no evidence of cheating in this over-the-board tournament, but Hans has admitted to several instances of cheating in online play and has been previously banned by chess.com for cheating.

Hans and Magnus are both playing in the online Julius Baer Generation Cup on Chess24, running from September 18-25. Paired today, Magnus resigned after Niemann's 2nd move.

This link is to a YouTube video of Grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura discussing today's action.

Ahhh..High Chess drama.

Of course..there was not cheating...Magnus's move was to shame his opponent and effectively ostracize him for his on-line cheating.

Oh and very possibly Niemann might be better--and who needs that?

This is a fascinating story, and I'm not sure where the hell it's going. It's like... Did this guy have some stroke of luck? Buster Douglas? I like to think that the only reason Magnus would take such a stance would be with good reason to. While everyone has an ego, I never sensed it from Carlson.

Man, I'm thinkin' you've gotta' really want to win a chess game if you're going to shove something up your ass in order to do it...

You could have a chess engine running on another computer during your game.

Man, I'm thinkin' you've gotta' really want to win a chess game if you're going to shove something up your ass in order to do it...

$350,000 prize fund.

1663636167446.png

I didn't know he resigned after only the second move. I'll have to watch a recap of the first game now.

I didn't know he resigned after only the second move. I'll have to watch a recap of the first game now.

It was a good game. No evidence of cheating. In the post game interview, Hans sounded totally clueless. Couldn't remember his analysis of the just completed game.

After the interview, I thought he probably cheated. If he did, it'll be almost impossible to prove.

It was a good game. No evidence of cheating. In the post game interview, Hans sounded totally clueless. Couldn't remember his analysis of the just completed game.

After the interview, I thought he probably cheated. If he did, it'll be almost impossible to prove.
Magnus did say he wouldn't compete in the next world championship, right? Maybe he's just pursuing the tradition of chess greats losing their minds :laugh:

Have you heard the anal beads theory? If so many chess fans can believe that Magnus was defeated because of anal beads.... then humans are easier to fool than anybody could have dreamed :laugh:

Unless it's proven right, which would be even more entertaining :dunno:

Magnus did say he wouldn't compete in the next world championship, right? Maybe he's just pursuing the tradition of chess greats losing their minds :laugh:

Have you heard the anal beads theory? If so many chess fans can believe that Magnus was defeated because of anal beads.... then humans are easier to fool than anybody could have dreamed :laugh:

Unless it's proven right, which would be even more entertaining :dunno:

Magnus did say he wouldn't compete in the next world championship, right?

He said, unless Alireza won, he wouldn't defend his title.

Have you heard the anal beads theory?

Yeah, that was a throw away line from Eric Hansen. Check him out.

Here was his anal bead theory.

I’ve been following this story and it seems to come down to two details:

- Hans has been caught cheating in the past.
- Hans did not interview well after the game. Didn’t appear to know what was happening in various lines.

I’m not sure what to make of this because it can’t be proven one way or the other. But those two details make it suspicious at the very least. Additionally, Magnus is one of best chess players ever to live.

Forum List

Back