chavez is toast

Far be it from me to suggest interference in the Venezuelan election, but America should do everything it legally can to support the candidacy of Rosales against Chavez. Maybe we should flood the Venezuelan market with very cheap food marked: “Best wishes, Manuel Rosales”

Far be it from me to suggest interference in the Venezuelan election, but America should do everything it legally can to support the candidacy of Rosales against Chavez. Maybe we should flood the Venezuelan market with very cheap food marked: “Best wishes, Manuel Rosales”

I think there is very little the US can do. Same as Cuba. We are a victim of our own 'bigness.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4801521.stm
unless of course he kills all these people

How is he toast? I think that might be wishful thinking on your part.

From your link.

But for now, Mr Chavez still enjoys a clear lead in opinion polls because of a sense of loyalty that poor and working-class voters feel towards him.

Oh...and not for nothing, we don't really have any business inserting ourselves into another country's elections, regardless of whether we like the leader or not. What would you say if some foreign country tried to influence OUR elections?

jillian said:
Oh...and not for nothing, we don't really have any business inserting ourselves into another country's elections, regardless of whether we like the leader or not. What would you say if some foreign country tried to influence OUR elections?
I was being facetious about the food. Remember it is Chavez who is dumping cheap oil into the Northeast to influence American politics and purchase friends. But American interference in Venezuela? Would that be analogous to the leftist Euros that tried to defeat Bush by interfering in Ohio during our last Presidential election?

I was being facetious about the food. Remember it is Chavez who is dumping cheap oil into the Northeast to influence American politics and purchase friends. But American interference in Venezuela? Would that be analogous to the leftist Euros that tried to defeat Bush by interfering in Ohio during our last Presidential election?

And how is Chavez influencing "American politics"? The way I see it is that its not designed to influence OUR politics, but to influence HIS base at home....

And what leftist Euros you talking about? Are we whining about Soros? Last I heard foreign nationals can't put money into our campaigns. And the only "influence" over the vote I know about in Ohio was Blackwell not letting people register to vote except on "fifty-weight paper" (when even the govt-printed forms weren't that weight) and putting too few voting machines in dem precincts and about double what was necessary in repub precincts.

But nice deflection ;) :dance:

And how is Chavez influencing "American politics"? The way I see it is that its not designed to influence OUR politics, but to influence HIS base at home....

And what leftist Euros you talking about? Are we whining about Soros? Last I heard foreign nationals can't put money into our campaigns. And the only "influence" over the vote I know about in Ohio was Blackwell not letting people register to vote except on "fifty-weight paper" (when even the govt-printed forms weren't that weight) and putting too few voting machines in dem precincts and about double what was necessary in repub precincts.

But nice deflection ;) :dance:
No deflection and I have no idea what you are talking about regarding Soros. Never heard of "Operation Clark County" from that leftist British rag the Guardian? Well, the following article may be of interest.

Guardian Calls It Quits in Clark County Fiasco

The Guardian yesterday ran up the white flag and called a halt to "Operation Clark County", the newspaper's ambitious scheme to recruit thousands of readers to persuade American voters in a swing state to kick out President George W Bush in next month's election.

The cancellation of the project came 24 hours after the first of some 14,000 letters from Guardian readers began arriving in Clark County. The missives led to widespread complaints about foreign interference in a US election.

It also prompted a surge of indignant local voters calling the county's Republican party offering to volunteer for Mr Bush.

The paper said it had closed the website where readers collected an address to write to and had abandoned plans to take four "winners" to visit voters in Clark County. Instead, the group would be taken to the "more tranquil" area of Washington.

Albert Scardino, the paper's executive editor for news, simultaneously denied and conceded that an early halt had been called to the project. "It is roaringly, successfully completed. It has been an overwhelming triumph," he said.

He then acknowledged that no more addresses were being distributed, blaming attacks on The Guardian website by Right-wing hackers.

"If we had not had the technical problem of the assault we would have completed the distribution of names in orderly fashion," he said. "We were able to give fewer addresses [of voters in Clark County] than we hoped. There were 14,000 names and addresses sent out. We would like to have made it possible to reach another 42,000 people."

The scheme seemed to backfired from the start as the reactions of the first recipients varied from indifference to anger and even alarm.

The rest of the article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/22/wus22.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/22/ixnewstop.html
-

From your link.

Are terrorist wackos trying to influence US elections ? You bet your sweet bippy they are.

From your link.

he is toast becasue i say so.

you say bush is stupid ...i say chavez is toast.

what the hell does your second paragraph have to do with chavez being toast? and, if cahvez can take private oil companies is it beyond the pale that he would control the opinion poles that show him leading?

he is toast becasue i say so.

you say bush is stupid ...i say chavez is toast.

I think Bush is inarticulate and incurious... because he's proven that he's both. But if you want to say Chavez is toast, no prob. :thup:

what the hell does your second paragraph have to do with chavez being toast? and, if cahvez can take private oil companies is it beyond the pale that he would control the opinion poles that show him leading?

Apologies, the second part of my post was in response to onedomino's comment. I should have made it clear. So technically, it had nothing to do with Chavez being toast. ;)

As for the polls... if Chavez is a dictator and his victory is a foregone conclusion and all that.... why on earth would he care about fixing polls?

For the members who have posted in this thread, is Chavez good or bad as leader of a nation?

Depends on who you're asking in his nation, no? If you ask the wealthier folk, they're going to tell you he's awful. If you ask the poor folk, they'll tell you he's wonderful because he's made them feel he cares about them and done things which have made their lives a little better.

I think Bush is inarticulate and incurious... because he's proven that he's both. But if you want to say Chavez is toast, no prob. :thup:

Apologies, the second part of my post was in response to onedomino's comment. I should have made it clear. So technically, it had nothing to do with Chavez being toast. ;)

As for the polls... if Chavez is a dictator and his victory is a foregone conclusion and all that.... why on earth would he care about fixing polls?

i have seen bush speak and he is very articulate....the press seems to take particular joy in only publishing his gaffs.....as for his curiosity or interest in things.....you are reaching.

saddam was a dictator that was elected president every year....polls are very important to some.....particulary to mr chavez.....being elected yet again would be bad form if the polls said otherwise......

i have seen bush speak and he is very articulate....the press seems to take particular joy in only publishing his gaffs.....as for his curiosity or interest in things.....you are reaching.

saddam was a dictator that was elected president every year....polls are very important to some.....particulary to mr chavez.....being elected yet again would be bad form if the polls said otherwise......
You have to admit, though, Bushisms are hilarious :D

Firstly , I wonder how the "poor and working class" support Chavez. All he does is keep screaming at the U.S in front of his people and blame capitalism.

Chavez is one of the biggest lunatics right now in the Americas ...I mean c'mon how daft can you be when you train your soldiers in guerilla style in SouthAmerican forests because you fear the U.S is going to invade. He is getting on all our nerves..First he screams at America and next he buys fighterplanes from Russia.

I SUPPORT ROSALES!!!!

Akshay

Hey, all you Chavez lovers and/or isolationists, keep Jimmy Carter away...we don't want him intefering in another Venezuelan election, now do we?

Don't worry about it, just more Bush-bashing, and that's so, like, 2001.

Topic's about Chavez, the Boliviar wanna-be, and his upcoming election.

Have your heard Hugo Chavez's speech at the UN HQ in NYC? Holding a copy of Chomsky, repeatedly calling President Bush "the devil". Big oil men don't always get along it seems.

Elections that are fraudulent aren't really elections. Chavez says, bizarrely even for him, that if he's elected this December, he'll okay another recall vote in four years. Is that supposed to be reassuring?

This was the question on recall-yes/no, 2004:

Do you agree to revoke, for the current term, the popular mandate as President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela conferred on citizen Hugo Rafael Chávez Frías through democratic and legitimate elections? NO or YES?

And that was just one red flag. This election year, there's every reason to think he'll "win" this year, Third World dictators will be Third World Dictators.

Hey, all you Chavez lovers and/or isolationists, keep Jimmy Carter away...we don't want him intefering in another Venezuelan election, now do we?

Does one have to "love" Chavez to think we shouldn't be screwing around with other countries' elections.

As for Carter, you probably don't know much about the election monitoring. They only go where they have cooperation from the government.....

Don't worry about it, just more Bush-bashing, and that's so, like, 2001.

Well... he's still president and he's still incompetent, so same rules apply, no? My son, who will be 9 in two weeks, is more articulate than Bush.

I don't rely on the press for "publish[ing] his gaffs". I listen to his speeches and he can't put two sentences together.

As for Saddam... yup... he was a dictator, but he was OUR dictator. We used him, supported him, gave him chemical weapons and had him fight our little proxy war against the Soviets. Iran has also been allowed to expand its influence, unchecked, since we took him out of power. And Saddam wasn't really relevant to this conversation anyway... so I'm not quite sure why he came up in a discussion about Chavez. Are you gonna say next that Chavez has WMD's and we need to invade because he's an "imminent risk"?

Forum List

Back