Charitable Contributions

I don't do that. Lemme 'splain why. Much of the money in charitable organizations does not make it to those you think your giving to. Overhead. Secondly, many charities often operate as if the people that need help are somewhere else and they are the group that can deal with them. For example, a homeless shelter. Donate to the shelter or outreach organization because if you give the money directly they will just spend it on whatever they want. It has a tendency to separate us as humans even though those people are in our communities. Does that make sense?

I will give directly to the human that needs it. Fuck a tax break.

I can verify what you say is generally true.
The business I am in does business with a lot of non-profits..and all but a scant few - WASTE A LOT OF MONEY. In fact , especially when getting close to their fiscal year end, they purposefully spend more money then they should have to just to get rid of the cash. This is a fact. And I have years experience in dealing with many NP's.
Faith based organizations are so much better, whether you are religious or not, these organizations are far more careful with their assets.
That's insane.

The business I am in does a lot of business with them as well.
I've found FBOs to actually be far worse to work with specifically in the realm of services. There are very few NPs, and even fewer FBOs, that meet the obligations they originally sign up for and most often cannot provide what is needed.

Sometimes..............they are just a complete waste.

I've found FBOs to actually be far worse to work with specifically in the realm of services. There are very few NPs, and even fewer FBOs, that meet the obligations they originally sign up for and most often cannot provide what is needed.

Then I am sure you have dealt with some that are partially funded by the government...HOLY COW.
Especially when they get grants...they will tell you they have $15,000 to spend on the project...which means don't come back with an estimate for $11,000...they want the estimate to be $15,000. Or the grant will be less next year. It is basically doing business in reverse...instead of talking about options with normal customers about saving cost - you spend your time finding ways to INCREASE the cost....just insane. There have been so many times I just want slip a little note to the media...but of course I cannot.

Then I am sure you have dealt with some that are partially funded by the government...HOLY COW.
Especially when they get grants...they will tell you they have $15,000 to spend on the project...which means don't come back with an estimate for $11,000...they want the estimate to be $15,000. Or the grant will be less next year. It is basically doing business in reverse...instead of talking about options with normal customers about saving cost - you spend your time finding ways to INCREASE the cost....just insane. There have been so many times I just want slip a little note to the media...but of course I cannot.

Yep. That's why I keep asking, does the *whatever type in any discussion) program work?

If it's not effective or in order for it to look successful it excludes the target groups that it said initially it was prepared to work with then it's time for them to move on to a different type of funding. We need to have serious conversations on establishing a criteria for measuring success.

Forum List

Back