Censorship by the media in the 1970s

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
In the mid-1970s, after graduating with a journalism degree from Cal State Long Beach, I worked at a couple of community newspaper chains, covering city council and school board meetings, taking photos, and writing feature stories. I was also responsible for designing the layout of each twice-weekly issue.

At one Bellflower-based chain, where I covered Paramount, the school board had rejected some maintenance utility vehicles from a car dealer because they failed to meet specifications. In retaliation, the dealer pulled the complementary vehicles he had lent to the school district for its driver education courses. I wrote a six-inch story about that, which the managing editor killed because the car dealer was a major advertiser with the newspaper.

In another instance, the United Farm Workers were staging marches through communities in the area. I wrote an article about it. The publisher decided he needed to personally review the story, which he trimmed considerably. But then he decided the story shouldn’t run in any form.

While in Paramount, I spotted picket signs at a small factory making vitamins. I interviewed the strikers then tried to interview management, but they would not speak to me. I took a picture, which I put in the layout with a caption. The managing editor said he would let it pass this time but told me that just because there is a strike, that doesn’t mean it’s news.

So, now the tables have turned, and conservatives are complaining about censorship in liberal news outlets.

In the mid-1970s, after graduating with a journalism degree from Cal State Long Beach, I worked at a couple of community newspaper chains, covering city council and school board meetings, taking photos, and writing feature stories. I was also responsible for designing the layout of each twice-weekly issue.

At one Bellflower-based chain, where I covered Paramount, the school board had rejected some maintenance utility vehicles from a car dealer because they failed to meet specifications. In retaliation, the dealer pulled the complementary vehicles he had lent to the school district for its driver education courses. I wrote a six-inch story about that, which the managing editor killed because the car dealer was a major advertiser with the newspaper.

In another instance, the United Farm Workers were staging marches through communities in the area. I wrote an article about it. The publisher decided he needed to personally review the story, which he trimmed considerably. But then he decided the story shouldn’t run in any form.

While in Paramount, I spotted picket signs at a small factory making vitamins. I interviewed the strikers then tried to interview management, but they would not speak to me. I took a picture, which I put in the layout with a caption. The managing editor said he would let it pass this time but told me that just because there is a strike, that doesn’t mean it’s news.

So, now the tables have turned, and conservatives are complaining about censorship in liberal news outlets.
From the very beginning of journalism, the publishers have made the rules.
Ed Morrow style of journalism has always been the exception, not the rule.

So, what is the point of having a Media forum if you have no expectation of truth in the media?
Expectation of truth?

I have no expectation of truth from anyone, why should I?

At what time in human history has there been this mythical human truth in the media?

All you can do is fight for the truth, if you want to get it out there

Just don't expect to get paid well for it. In fact, you might get killed for it, or worse.

Oh, so you are implying back in the 70s only conservative newspapers would kill stories or edit the facts so as to not harm either a financial contributor or their own political narrative? . And we are to take your three anecdotes of your journalist career in Paramount, CA to impugn the conservatives and exonerate the left?

And, no, the tables have not turned today. It is extremely more malicious than that. The mainstream media including the mainstream press are 95% all in with secular humanist leftist ideologies and they do everything in their power to promote it. Either by magnifying and embellishing every transgression on the right, and completely burying every lie, crime, scandal, etc. from the left. ----- And if you have not noticed, you are not much of a journalist.

Oh, so you are implying back in the 70s only conservative newspapers would kill stories or edit the facts so as to not harm either a financial contributor or their own political narrative? . And we are to take your three anecdotes of your journalist career in Paramount, CA to impugn the conservatives and exonerate the left?

And, no, the tables have not turned today. It is extremely more malicious than that. The mainstream media including the mainstream press are 95% all in with secular humanist leftist ideologies and they do everything in their power to promote it. Either by magnifying and embellishing every transgression on the right, and completely burying every lie, crime, scandal, etc. from the left. ----- And if you have not noticed, you are not much of a journalist.
I have no quarrel with your argument about the left-wing agenda of much of the mainstream media. But if you hold to the premise that privately owned media is free to report news as it pleases, what do you have to complain about? Just support the media that reports the type of news you want. Let the consumer decide the battle.

Back in the 1970s, conservatives were unlikely to complain about media censorship but were more likely to complain about a lack of censorship, claiming, for example, that the publication of the Pentagon Papers threatened national security.

I have no quarrel with your argument about the left-wing agenda of much of the mainstream media. But if you hold to the premise that privately owned media is free to report news as it pleases, what do you have to complain about? Just support the media that reports the type of news you want. Let the consumer decide the battle.

Back in the 1970s, conservatives were unlikely to complain about media censorship but were more likely to complain about a lack of censorship, claiming, for example, that the publication of the Pentagon Papers threatened national security.
I don't buy your "tends" of conservatism back in the 70s. That was not what was holding America back even if it were so. It was a case by case examination of the facts that were more or less done by both parties. Often "what's best for the American people" seemed to win out. ---and both sides were more honorable about it, or so it seemed. . . But, the world has changed. the world is now self-centered and dark.

And, no, private media is not free to report news as it pleases. That is why newspapers are subject to libel and law suits. But I guess you could still make the argument they can hide any bad stories they want, fine. But Big Tech is the news these days in many ways. They are the real enemy. Why? Because they greatly influence morals, values and a social or political narrative on almost every issue. And they do lie, they do censor those who they do not want heard, they do bury stories like the NYPost Hunter Biden revelation before the election. ----- All well and good you might say. Except for one fact. Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, et al. are protected by congress Section 230 ruling which holds them not accountable for lies, libel, etc. FINE. Then they have NO RIGHT TO CENSOR views from the RIGHT. That is why this hole operation is rigged, once again, to favor the godless left. IMO

Forum List

Back