Catholicism keeps me sane in a crazy world

offer the usual analogy: Does air cease to be air when it is inside a balloon, or does the balloon define the boundaries of the air within? When air is inside a balloon, does air cease to be outside the balloon?
The air and the balloon dont become a single one in the terms of nature. There is a metal balloon and the air inside of it, and you can make the difference between them.

whom do you think Jesus was praying?
To God, apparently.

what are the right questions?.....
What is the greatest Commandment?
What is the Way?

What questions did you ask?
i was told Jesus was god here on earth

If you was educated from Catholics then you was told that Jesus is true god from true god - and you was told that Jesus is a 100% human being - both.

.....i asked so who was god praying to in the garden?

Garden? Which garden?

....who would god pray too?....the subject was quickly changed....

... Jesus said not much. In the Sermon on the Mount he spoke for example to you and some others.

the 2nd commandment about using statues for religious purposes....you walk into a catholic church,people are on their knees in front of the Mary statue praying to her.....

Seems to me you never was a Catholic - otherwise you would not say such a damned bullshit.

In general: Everyone from all religions including the believers in atheism are able to ask mother Mary for help. She will bring your message to god, she knows how to speak with him - and everyone is able to speak with her as if she would be the own mother. No one has to be shy to speak with her.

that was justified according to them that was different.....
the Pope is the closest person to God on the planet....

The "placeholder for Jesus" on this planet, because the pope is the head of the church (a very concrete organisation) in this world here. But somehow everyone should try to be a placeholder for the teachings of Jesus, so that his teachings are able to grow and to help.

they had many reasons why.....of course they would not talk about the wealth at the Vatican....

An old Catholic problem, Protestant. Your tooth brush will cost in 2000 years a lot of money - but no one will have a tooth brush in 2000 years any longer - except perhaps someone in the Catholic Church. And a Cathedral is worth dozends of billions - in theory - but no one would buy a cathedral. The running costs are immense.

the Pope puts his pants on like everyone else.....

The pope is doing what? ... Ah yeah ... he wears trousers.

i said if God truly exists he must be an alien from some where besides earth....

God is not an alien. He's your father. And he has a kind of mathematical problem, which has to do with Kurt Goedel, who proved the existence of god - what no one (=for example I in this case) understands. I am able to imagine in this mathematical context "Entscheidbarkeit" that the problem whether god exists or not exists is perhaps not undecidable ... or not.

they were appalled i would say such a thing....those were some of my questions....

This are not real questions - this is a summary of propagandistic bullshit from self-satisfied half-moronic protestants, reformers and/or revolutionists.

Last edited:
i left Catholicism when in catacism class when i asked if i should bring a bible the priest said no....i will tell you everything you need to know.....and then danced around questions....

Yeah, I'm a recovering Catholic myself. Growing up in Boston, Sunday School was pretty much a requirement. I still went to church a lot in my late teens and early 20s when I moved out, but when I started logically questioning everything I had been told throughout my childhood I began to realize how little sense it really made.
same here....

what are the right questions?.....
What is the greatest Commandment?
What is the Way?

What questions did you ask?
i was told Jesus was god here on earth

If you was educated from Catholics then you was told that Jesus is true god from true god - and you was told that Jesus is a 100% human being - both.

.....i asked so who was god praying to in the garden?

Garden? Which garden?

....who would god pray too?....the subject was quickly changed....

... Jesus said not much. In the Sermon on the Mount he spoke for example to you and some others.

the 2nd commandment about using statues for religious purposes....you walk into a catholic church,people are on their knees in front of the Mary statue praying to her.....

Seems to me you never was a Catholic - otherwise you would not say such a damned bullshit.

In general: Everyone from all religions including the believers in atheism are able to ask mother Mary for help. She will bring your message to god, she knows how to speak with him - and everyone is able to speak with her as if she would be the own mother. No one has to be shy to speak with her.

that was justified according to them that was different.....
the Pope is the closest person to God on the planet....

The "placeholder for Jesus" on this planet, because the pope is the head of the church (a very concrete organisation) in this world here. But somehow everyone should try to be a placeholder for the teachings of Jesus, so that his teachings are able to grow and to help.

they had many reasons why.....of course they would not talk about the wealth at the Vatican....

An old Catholic problem, Protestant. Your tooth brush will cost in 2000 years a lot of money - but no one will have a tooth brush in 2000 years any longer - except perhaps someone in the Catholic Church. And a Cathedral is worth dozends of billions - in theory - but no one would buy a cathedral. The running costs are immense.

the Pope puts his pants on like everyone else.....

The pope is doing what? ... Ah yeah ... he wears trousers.

i said if God truly exists he must be an alien from some where besides earth....

God is not an alien. He's your father. And he has a kind of mathematical problem, which has to do with Kurt Goedel, who proved the existence of god - what no one (=for example I in this case) understands. I am able to imagine in this mathematical context "Entscheidbarkeit" that the problem whether god exists or not exists is perhaps not undecidable ... or not.

they were appalled i would say such a thing....those were some of my questions....

This are not real questions - this is a summary of propagandistic bullshit from self-satisfied half-moronic protestants, reformers and/or revolutionists.

yea i was a catholic....just because i seen through the bullshit and you havent that is your problem.....and yes if god does exist he is an alien being...and if you dont know what i meant when i said the pope puts his pants on like everyone else shows me further how dense you must be.... the catholic religion is just a rich cult...there i said it,now you can freak out....

i left Catholicism when in catacism class when i asked if i should bring a bible the priest said no....i will tell you everything you need to know.....and then danced around questions....

Yeah, I'm a recovering Catholic myself.

¿Recovering?

Growing up in Boston, Sunday School was pretty much a requirement. I still went to church a lot in my late teens and early 20s when I moved out, but when I started logically questioning everything I had been told throughout my childhood I began to realize how little sense it really made.

Any concrete example what you was logically questioning and which conclusion brought you in this context to the result that your catholic education was nearly senseless for you?
Any concrete example what you was logically questioning and which conclusion brought you in this context to the result that your catholic education was nearly senseless for you?
the realization people have when they recognize the bible is not only a book of forgeries and fallacies but an underlying work of deliberate deception.

I don't understand the worship of Mary. She was just a vessel. That's it. Worshipping her is the same as worshipping a golden calf.
You do not understand the worship of Mary because there is no worship of Mary. Are you aware that Mary is not the only Saint Catholics ask to join in prayer? Golden calves cannot pray. Mary and all the saints can. You learned something today! No one worships Mary, they just do not understand Catholic belief about the saints being alive and well and always a part of the Body of Christ just as we are.

For me, THEY speak to me via animals and nature...not thru some schmuck (any religion) claiming to speak FOR them.
The Word is "schmuck" because it is repeated by a mere human? Meanwhile wordless animals and nature speak.

Actually, doing both I understand what you are saying about animals and nature. Two forms of worship: Apart and a part. Both have power.

Yeah, I'm a recovering Catholic myself. Growing up in Boston, Sunday School was pretty much a requirement. I still went to church a lot in my late teens and early 20s when I moved out, but when I started logically questioning everything I had been told throughout my childhood I began to realize how little sense it really made.
Yes. A child's understanding does not work in the adult world. I agree we have got to let go of that before relearning everything that child thinks s/he knows. In depth study of the Jewish faith worked for me and gave me an adult's understanding of the Christian faith. People either leave the way or find The Way. Both can be good for different reasons.

The air and the balloon dont become a single one in the terms of nature. There is a metal balloon and the air inside of it, and you can make the difference between them.
Analogies are never perfect. I think of them as being like abstract art.

yea the masses used to put me to sleep too....
Never had that problem. Was taught at a young age to look for the one line in the Mass (often there were more) that pertained to what was going on in my own life today. It served well to remind that boredom is a product of one's own mind. In every class (or Mass) there is a nugget worth mining.

But sleep is often good for one as well.

Most are schmucks. They preach bullshit, which is usually their opinion. They read a line from the bible and tell the listeners what it means...in their opinion. Therefore=schmucks.

I don't understand the worship of Mary. She was just a vessel. That's it. Worshipping her is the same as worshipping a golden calf.
You do not understand the worship of Mary because there is no worship of Mary. Are you aware that Mary is not the only Saint Catholics ask to join in prayer? Golden calves cannot pray. Mary and all the saints can. You learned something today! No one worships Mary, they just do not understand Catholic belief about the saints being alive and well and always a part of the Body of Christ just as we are.
Yeah. Ok. Whatever you wanna believe.

Everyone from all religions including the believers in atheism are able to ask mother Mary for help. She will bring your message to god, she knows how to speak with him - and everyone is able to speak with her as if she would be the own mother.
And again with the worship of Mary. Can I ask joe blow down the street to carry a message to God or is it only Mary that can do that? Mary is not my mother. I refuse to bow down to her. She was just a vessel. Period. I refuse to kiss some man's ring and kneel before him too, because he supposedly represents God and speaks for him. No. He's just a man.
I really dislike the attempts to make that which is not divine, divine, by a follower. Go your path. I'll go mine. But you won't hear me preach to you about my path as if you are ignorant or stupid for not following mine...which is what you are doing.

Disappointing.

Most are schmucks. They preach bullshit, which is usually their opinion. They read a line from the bible and tell the listeners what it means...in their opinion. Therefore=schmucks.
It is a shame you never heard a really good homily. Really good homilies have nothing to do with opinions, it is about shining a light on the Bible passages in that day's lesson.

Can I ask joe blow down the street to carry a message to God or is it only Mary that can do that?
The Biblical passage in play are Jesus' words that when two or three gather in his name, he is there. Anyone can ask anyone to pray with them. Catholic belief is that both the living and those who have passed on are members of the body of Christ. Any and all can join you in prayer. And no, this does not mean you can't have your own one-on-one. One does not preclude the other. Both are beautiful forms of communication and prayer.

I still don't know if Jesus was God in human form, or separate entities. NOBODY knows.
According to Philippians, God did manifest in different ways, one of them being Jesus. He humbled Himself to humanity. According to the gospels, after death, Jesus transformed back to his divinity.

A triune God doesn't appear to be a God divided into three parts, but one God with three fundamental purposes: creator, redeemer, and mediator.

Analogies are never perfect. I think of them as being like abstract art.
It isn't about the analogy per se. It is about the conception of Trinity, highly flawed according to the basic logic. According to my personal opinion.

Forum List

Back