Cancer vaccine being forced on girls

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/ap_on_re_us/cancer_vaccine_n_m

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - New Mexico is on the verge of becoming the latest state to require sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against a sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer, a spokesman for the governor said Monday.

The state House approved the bill Sunday, and Gov. Bill Richardson will sign it once he receives the legislation, spokesman Gilbert Gallegos said.

"This is an important anti-cancer vaccine, and the governor believes it's imperative for all girls to be protected against cervical cancer," Gallegos said.

He said the bill will go into effect 90 days after it is signed.

Texas is the only state to require the vaccine so far, but other states are considering doing the same. While federal regulators have approved the vaccine, the issue of making it a requirement for girls has been surrounded by controversy.

Merck & Co., the vaccine's maker, said last month that it would suspend a behind-the-scenes lobbying campaign to get states to require it for school-age girls because of pressure from parents and medical groups.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry sidestepped his state's Legislature when he ordered the shots for girls entering the sixth grade there starting in September 2008. He has since had to defend his relationship with Merck; The Associated Press reported Perry's chief of staff met with key aides about the vaccine on the same day Merck's political action committee donated money to the governor's campaign.

It wasn't known if Merck had lobbied New Mexico officials.

Virginia lawmakers passed a similar law, which Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has said he would sign. Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's budget proposal calls for providing the vaccine for free to all girls 9 to 18 who want it.

Legislation to require the vaccine or promote it have been introduced in other states as well.

The federal government approved Gardasil, a three-dose vaccine that protects against the human papilloma virus, or HPV, in June for females ages 9 to 26. The vaccine protects against HPV strains that cause cervical, vulvar and vaginal cancers and genital warts.

More than 500 cases of mostly minor side effects have been reported in girls and women who got the vaccine. Government health officials said last month that no additional warning labels are needed.

They want to give a vaccine of an STD to sixth graders. If the parents want their kids to get them great, but I dont think they should be forced to get them. Especially when the virus can be avoided without a vaccine.

They want to give a vaccine of an STD to sixth graders. If the parents want their kids to get them great, but I dont think they should be forced to get them. Especially when the virus can be avoided without a vaccine.

Forced??? You're kidding, right?

There is a finite window in which the vaccine can be given during which it is effective. I know that some would prefer girls have the wrath of G-d upon them and be punished if they engage in premarital sex, but I don't think girls should be denied a lifesaving vaccine because of some puritanical abstinence-only idea.

There is a finite window in which the vaccine can be given during which it is effective. I know that some would prefer girls have the wrath of G-d upon them and be punished if they engage in premarital sex, but I don't think girls should be denied a lifesaving vaccine because of some puritanical abstinence-only idea.

Yes forced. What else do you call it when you have no choice?

Gee jill, REQUIRED sounds like "forced" to me.....:eusa_silenced:

People are required to get polio vaccines, too. This is about the radical right's abstinence only thing. They're afraid that if a girl doesn't think she's going to die of cervical cancer if she has sex that she's somehow more likely to be promiscuous.

Holy moley, jillian - I hope the strap on your bungee cord held, after a leap like that!

The vaccine should be made available on a voluntary basis at the parents discretion.

Silly opponents of this vaccine seem completely oblivious that Hepatits B (for which we have been vaccinating kids against for about two decades) is also a sexually transmitted disease.

Where's the outrage over it?

Why should this be mandatory? Easy. Many cancer patients eventually end up on Medicare which I pay for. I'd rather pay for a $50 shot for a kid than tens of thousands of dollars for hospitlization of a cancer patient.

Capitalism wins again.

"Cancer vaccine being forced on girls"
Dear God, the horror, the shame, the crime! No doubt this cancer vaccine will ruin the lives of tens of thousands of previously chaste girls. I remember well the number of times all the girls I know have voluntarily abstained because they realized the horrors that cervical cancer would surely inflict upon them, but now that the evil government is forcing them all to get vaccinated for cancer, they're all whores. The humanity, the injustice. This virus was the one thing keeping our society good and moral. Now that the evil Merck corporation has unleashed this plague of a cancer vaccine upon our unsuspecting children the very core, the foundation of Western civilization will collapse because... women aren't dying of cervical cancer... bastards.

Why should this be mandatory? Easy. Many cancer patients eventually end up on Medicare which I pay for. I'd rather pay for a $50 shot for a kid than tens of thousands of dollars for hospitlization of a cancer patient.

Capitalism wins again.

If this is the Gardasil vaccine, the cost is around US$120 per, but your point is well-taken.

I'm betting this is the Gardasil vaccine....

The vaccine is nearly 100% effective if administered BEFORE the female has a chance to contract the strains of HPV which are linked to cervical cancer. And it is still effective to reduce the female's chance of developing cervical cancer even if administered AFTER she contracted HPV.

So by all means, administer this as part of a mandatory vaccination policy.

You have any other colorable reason why anyone would object to girls being innoculated against something that could give them cervical cancer?

Massachusetts - of all places - has a plan that doesn't involve coercion. What's wrong with a little rational discussion on the topic, that doesn't careen into raging, anti-Christian paranoia?

Why shouldn't parents decide if their daughters should be vaccinated for something which is not contagious via casual contact?

Why shouldn't parents decide if their daughters should be vaccinated for something which is not contagious via casual contact?

Because the liberals want to control the children through the schools...parents be damned.
Those who control the children control the future. It's a Marxist principle.

Because any parent so stupid as to object to their daughter being vaccinated against cancer is also too stupid to educate their daughter on how not to get pregnant or an STD.

And, I'll likely have to pay for their stupidity when their kid is sitting in a cancer ward forty years from now.

Why do you insist that I subsidize stupidity?

Here's an opt-out option...

"I ______________ , parent of _______________ , request that my daughter not be vaccinated against HPV. In so doing, I absolve the government from any expense related to her potential ensuing cancer for the duration of her life and if she dies cold and lonely under a bridge somewhere due to the cancer which wracks her body... so be it."

Because any parent so stupid as to object to their daughter being vaccinated against cancer is also too stupid to educate their daughter on how not to get pregnant or an STD

Actually, that's not all that complex; they've found out what causes those things now.

Because any parent so stupid as to object to their daughter being vaccinated against cancer is also too stupid to educate their daughter on how not to get pregnant or an STD.

And, I'll likely have to pay for their stupidity when their kid is sitting in a cancer ward forty years from now.

Why do you insist that I subsidize stupidity?

Here's an opt-out option...

"I ______________ , parent of _______________ , request that my daughter not be vaccinated against HPV. In so doing, I absolve the government from any expense related to her potential ensuing cancer for the duration of her life and if she dies cold and lonely under a bridge somewhere due to the cancer which wracks her body... so be it."

Great idea! How about we take this further and absolve government health care completely?

Forum List

Back