Cancelling Student Debt?

No one is forced to take on student debt.

Accordingly, cancelling it would be the height of stupidity...

The linked article addresses the racial component of student debt. Nothing surprising. Black student debt is higher than white student debt; Blacks have worse job prospects; it's a bigger burden...blah, blah, blah.

Erase $10k? 25k? 50k? Hell, why limit it all? Just cancel out the whole fucking thing for everybody!

But as with the general problem of student immaturity, un-realism, and poor judgment when deciding (1) whether to go to college full time at all, (2) what college to attend, and (3) what to major in, these questions become even more acute for people with fewer family resources - such as many Black students.

Are they encouraged to maximize their exploitation of free or low-cost "state" schools? Forego full-time college and combine employment with part-time studies? Major in subjects that are likely to be in demand four or five years hence? Utilize military service as an avenue to higher education? Or do they go to an expensive private college and major in "Ethnic Studies"? I wonder.

These are not "racial" questions. They are questions that everyone of limited means MUST confront. I - a white guy - employed all of the strategies mentioned in the preceding paragraph, and ended up with a law degree. And zero debt (of course that was a different time, tuition-wise).

Does not this "discussion" typify the total financial unreality of the political Left in this country? They talk like canceling debt is just a decision to be implemented with a snap of someone's fingers, with no ramifications other than the release of the burden to the affected ex-students. Where is this money - hundreds of billions of dollars - to come from? Taxing The Rich? There are not that many "rich" people, and they don't like to be taken advantage of.

This is one of many issues where the foolishness of Democracy is manifest. How many 18-35 year olds voted for Biden in this past election with the hope that some or all of their student debt would be cancelled? Is that a valid reason for a vote? Free stuff?

I'm glad my days of paying a lot of FIT are over. Fuck it. I just don't care anymore.
Among other reasons, it's wrong because it rewards students who borrowed money to pay for college but not other students who worked hard to pay their own way.

The linked article addresses the racial component of student debt. Nothing surprising. Black student debt is higher than white student debt; Blacks have worse job prospects; it's a bigger burden...blah, blah, blah.

Erase $10k? 25k? 50k? Hell, why limit it all? Just cancel out the whole fucking thing for everybody!

But as with the general problem of student immaturity, un-realism, and poor judgment when deciding (1) whether to go to college full time at all, (2) what college to attend, and (3) what to major in, these questions become even more acute for people with fewer family resources - such as many Black students.

Are they encouraged to maximize their exploitation of free or low-cost "state" schools? Forego full-time college and combine employment with part-time studies? Major in subjects that are likely to be in demand four or five years hence? Utilize military service as an avenue to higher education? Or do they go to an expensive private college and major in "Ethnic Studies"? I wonder.

These are not "racial" questions. They are questions that everyone of limited means MUST confront. I - a white guy - employed all of the strategies mentioned in the preceding paragraph, and ended up with a law degree. And zero debt (of course that was a different time, tuition-wise).

Does not this "discussion" typify the total financial unreality of the political Left in this country? They talk like canceling debt is just a decision to be implemented with a snap of someone's fingers, with no ramifications other than the release of the burden to the affected ex-students. Where is this money - hundreds of billions of dollars - to come from? Taxing The Rich? There are not that many "rich" people, and they don't like to be taken advantage of.

This is one of many issues where the foolishness of Democracy is manifest. How many 18-35 year olds voted for Biden in this past election with the hope that some or all of their student debt would be cancelled? Is that a valid reason for a vote? Free stuff?

I'm glad my days of paying a lot of FIT are over. Fuck it. I just don't care anymore.
Among other reasons, it's wrong because it rewards students who borrowed money to pay for college but not other students who worked hard to pay their own way.
So?

Wrong. College costs are a scam. Why do you support a scam?

College costs are a scam.

Colleges should pay off their students college debt.
Oh shut up.

Sandy vag?
Tiny dick?

Are you touching yourself?

So?
So why should people who don't work to put themselves through college be rewarded but not people who work to put themselves through college?

education FREE! This will stop the scam and allow the availability of higher education to all who wish to obtain it
Hm, and you call yourself a libertarian?

If all who wish to obtain higher education will obtain it, that will decrease the 'value' of such education, won't that?
No. Of course you’re wrong and your conclusion is absurd. Do you think people obtaining an education is like people buying widgets?

Unfortunately, our government is a corrupt and criminal operation. It actively works to the benefit of the ultra wealthy. Until we can terminate this government, why not do something that helps the less fortunate too?
Well, no. Though as absurd it may seem, but I see this on practice already. Universities and colleges can charge tuition fees and along with that receive money from the government. As a result of that, the fees arent too high actually and the vast majority of people can afford to send their children to be taught there.

From the other hand, the universities and colleges are interested in getting in as many students as possible. Because that not only increases the fees paid, but also does the government's payments because they are tied with the number of students taught there.

It is not hard to imagine the consequences of that practice, is it? The standards of enrollment and exams are pretty low for understandable reasons. From my own experience, I saw students of local university's physics faculty which weren't able to solve the equations of high school level.

You clearly don’t know how to interview and vet potential employees and or subs. You simply have a hiring issue, you are a poor judge of ones character.
For your lack of business savvy you’ve deviated to the path of least resistance. You’re not alone, thats what all poor businesses owners do.
Now imagine if the wetback option didn’t exist...you’d have become and do better as a business owner...that’s what you really need but you’d rather be lazy and hire desperate, mute Gustavo.
You must be an awesome American
If not these so called wetbacks, the prices of some services and goods would be higher. If there is the demand, then there is the offer. Except of that, due to the current demographics, all such discussions may be irrelevant in not so distant future.

If not these so called wetbacks, the prices of some services and goods would be higher.”
I don’t know of one good real American opposed to paying significantly more to rid our nation of the human cockroaches.

Except of that, due to the current demographics, all such discussions may be irrelevant in not so distant future.”
That’s sad but true.
An Operation Wetback 2.0 will need to be imposed to stop this nation from total ruin at the hands of Mexico’s most disgusting human beings.
Close your eyes and imagine an East Los Angeles the size of America....pretty fucking disgusting isn’t it?
I think that the point of no-return has already been passed. You can't just expel them. You also will need to reverse the demographic trend and this will require drastical change in family policy and women's role in the society. I cant see this happens.

On the contrary, the US will legalize the illegals, especially from Mexico, sooner or later, it seems.

I have never been to East LA and hardly will ever be. I know it is heavily Hispanic-populared area. Is it the center of criminality and poverty there?

I have to pay for others ??
why do hard working tax payers have to the debt of others ??

I don't support a scam. I also don't support allowing people to borrow money to go to college and then simply telling them they don't have to pay it back. You can't do that with your mortgage company, why should you be able to do it with college loans? No one was forced to take on the debt from college loans. No one. Ever.

I didn't go to college but, somehow, I'm in a far better place financially than a lot of my friends who had student loans to pay. But, as I always remind them, they chose to take on that debt, knowing full well what the cost would be...

I don't support a scam. I also don't support allowing people to borrow money to go to college and then simply telling them they don't have to pay it back. You can't do that with your mortgage company, why should you be able to do it with college loans? No one was forced to take on the debt from college loans. No one. Ever.

I didn't go to college but, somehow, I'm in a far better place financially than a lot of my friends who had student loans to pay. But, as I always remind them, they chose to take on that debt, knowing full well what the cost would be...
You’re not comprehending. If only those who are rich can afford college, you have done a great disservice to the nation.

Outside of HC costs (also a scam), nothing as gone up in cost more than college tuition. Forcing young people into massive debt serfdom to get a college education, is ignorant and harmful.

Please. Wake up.

You’re not comprehending. If only those who are rich can afford college, you have done a great disservice to the nation.

Outside of HC costs (also a scam), nothing as gone up in cost more than college tuition. Forcing young people into massive debt serfdom to get a college education, is ignorant and harmful.

Please. Wake up.
And to think the more costs have gone up the education received has been in steady decline. So much so that today's graduate of a liberal arts program is as dumb as a box of rocks and has NO useful skills or knowledge whatsoever to market. All they've managed to do is piss away four or more years of their lives that they can never recover.

Please. Wake up.
And to think the more costs have gone up the education received has been in steady decline. So much so that today's graduate of a liberal arts program is as dumb as a box of rocks and has NO useful skills or knowledge whatsoever to market. All they've managed to do is piss away four or more years of their lives that they can never recover.
Very true. It’s a scam.

Forum List

Back