Cancelling Student Debt?

The linked article addresses the racial component of student debt. Nothing surprising. Black student debt is higher than white student debt; Blacks have worse job prospects; it's a bigger burden...blah, blah, blah.

Erase $10k? 25k? 50k? Hell, why limit it all? Just cancel out the whole fucking thing for everybody!

But as with the general problem of student immaturity, un-realism, and poor judgment when deciding (1) whether to go to college full time at all, (2) what college to attend, and (3) what to major in, these questions become even more acute for people with fewer family resources - such as many Black students.

Are they encouraged to maximize their exploitation of free or low-cost "state" schools? Forego full-time college and combine employment with part-time studies? Major in subjects that are likely to be in demand four or five years hence? Utilize military service as an avenue to higher education? Or do they go to an expensive private college and major in "Ethnic Studies"? I wonder.

These are not "racial" questions. They are questions that everyone of limited means MUST confront. I - a white guy - employed all of the strategies mentioned in the preceding paragraph, and ended up with a law degree. And zero debt (of course that was a different time, tuition-wise).

Does not this "discussion" typify the total financial unreality of the political Left in this country? They talk like canceling debt is just a decision to be implemented with a snap of someone's fingers, with no ramifications other than the release of the burden to the affected ex-students. Where is this money - hundreds of billions of dollars - to come from? Taxing The Rich? There are not that many "rich" people, and they don't like to be taken advantage of.

This is one of many issues where the foolishness of Democracy is manifest. How many 18-35 year olds voted for Biden in this past election with the hope that some or all of their student debt would be cancelled? Is that a valid reason for a vote? Free stuff?

I'm glad my days of paying a lot of FIT are over. Fuck it. I just don't care anymore.
Bullshit! It has nothing to do with race... poor white kids are more disadvantaged then poor black kids and rich black kids are better off then rich white kids. It is not a race thing, rather it is a economic thing. But in American every kid had basically the same chance.

Millions have been scammed by the higher education crooks. You want them to pay for the scam. I don’t. It’s not right.

I want them to pay for the debt they VOLUNTARILY took on.

If it's truly a scam, then investigate, charge, try, convict and imprison the perpetrators. But, until that point, those bills need to be paid...

When our government bails out big business to the tune of trillions, you don’t complain. Yet you’re fine with screwing little people for trying up get an education.

Hey, pinhead, reading ain't exactly your strong suit, is it?

I said previously that I don't think ANYONE should be bailed out, big or small. Not a fucking penny. To say "you don't complain" only proves to me how monumentally fucking ignorant you are.

But, like I said, let these deadbeats file chapter 13 and then we'll talk...

Think man. Think!

I am.

In fact, I'm thinking about how enjoyable this conversation might be if you did the same...
I attended my state’s largest public university in the early 80s. Got a degree in business. I have my cancelled checks for tuition payment. They were under $1,000 for a full load of credit hours. I wrote the check easily because I had worked full time after high school and saved up. Kids today don’t have this ability. The cost is too great BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING SCAM.

So dipshits, do we want an educated citizenry where kids can attain quality jobs with high salaries via education, or do you prefer they all work at Walmart?

Of course you grant exceptions for the wealthy.

Stop being a fucking retard. I don't want to see exceptions granted for anyone. You really need to get that through your thick, retarded skull.

That's great that you were able to work and put yourself through college. But to say kids can't do that today is untrue. They can. Kids are doinig it every day...
BS. Most kids can’t afford college tuition working menial jobs.

My son graduated summa cum laude from one of the nation’s best engineering schools. It cost about $20k annually just for tuition. It was this cheap only because we lived in state. With books room and board, add another $10k. What kid can afford that doofus?

In your world, you’d tell my exceptional son to go fuck off. You aren’t going to get a good education or you will have to suffer under mountains at appalling double digit interest rates.

WTFU!!!

You assume a lot.

What kind of idiot takes on $120,000 in student debt and takes a job at fucking McDonald's in the hopes that he'll be able to support a family?

No one can afford that. Which is why, after spending that kind of money on their education, they get good paying jobs that aren't minimum wage. Did your son get a shitty job? I'm gonna' guess no. Which means your own family experience should tell you that people don't go to college for four years to work the drive-thru at Jiffy-Chef.

The problem which is coming to light here is that you believe that leftist bullshit line that, in order to be successful, you have to have a college degree.

You need to wrap your pointed little head around that fact that it just isn't true...
No. You assume a lot. None of which I posted. Stop posting. Who other than you stated the bs about $120,000 debt to work at McDonald’s?

Millions have been scammed by the higher education crooks. You want them to pay for the scam. I don’t. It’s not right.

If it's truly a scam, then investigate, charge, try, convict and imprison the perpetrators. But, until that point, those bills need to be paid...

When our government bails out big business to the tune of trillions, you don’t complain. Yet you’re fine with screwing little people for trying up get an education.

I said previously that I don't think ANYONE should be bailed out, big or small. Not a fucking penny. To say "you don't complain" only proves to me how monumentally fucking ignorant you are.

Think man. Think!

I am.

In fact, I'm thinking about how enjoyable this conversation might be if you did the same...
I attended my state’s largest public university in the early 80s. Got a degree in business. I have my cancelled checks for tuition payment. They were under $1,000 for a full load of credit hours. I wrote the check easily because I had worked full time after high school and saved up. Kids today don’t have this ability. The cost is too great BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING SCAM.

So dipshits, do we want an educated citizenry where kids can attain quality jobs with high salaries via education, or do you prefer they all work at Walmart?

Stop being a fucking retard. I don't want to see exceptions granted for anyone. You really need to get that through your thick, retarded skull.

That's great that you were able to work and put yourself through college. But to say kids can't do that today is untrue. They can. Kids are doinig it every day...

My son graduated summa cum laude from one of the nation’s best engineering schools. It cost about $20k annually just for tuition. It was this cheap only because we lived in state. With books room and board, add another $10k. What kid can afford that doofus?

In your world, you’d tell my exceptional son to go fuck off. You aren’t going to get a good education or you will have to suffer under mountains at appalling double digit interest rates.

WTFU!!!

You assume a lot.

What kind of idiot takes on $120,000 in student debt and takes a job at fucking McDonald's in the hopes that he'll be able to support a family?

No one can afford that. Which is why, after spending that kind of money on their education, they get good paying jobs that aren't minimum wage. Did your son get a shitty job? I'm gonna' guess no. Which means your own family experience should tell you that people don't go to college for four years to work the drive-thru at Jiffy-Chef.

The problem which is coming to light here is that you believe that leftist bullshit line that, in order to be successful, you have to have a college degree.

You need to wrap your pointed little head around that fact that it just isn't true...
No. You assume a lot. None of which I posted. Stop posting. Who other than you stated the bs about $120,000 debt to work at McDonald’s?

God, you're stupid.

You trotted out your son as an example of someone who, according to your math, spent $120,000 on his education. Then you asked how anyone saddled with that kind of debt could ever afford that. I assumed you were referring to paying that back with a minimum wage job, since minimum wage is the actual topic of discussion.

My point is that NO ONE would have to afford to pay back $120,000 in college loans on minimum wage because someone who spends that on their education isn't going to have a minimum wage job unless they're a complete fucking idiot.

So, your point failed, simply because it wasn't pertinent to the conversation...

It is rational to compare forgiveness of student loans with personal bankruptcy. In both cases, there are lenders who get screwed, and people who voluntarily borrowed money walk away from it. Morally indefensible, but it is a thing that we tolerate.

The decision was made many decades ago to exclude student loans from bankruptcy debt absolution, because there was a flurry of doctors and lawyers who were intentionally running up student loan debt with the intention of having it all discharged in bankruptcy. Not so fast...

Maybe this policy choice should be revisited. Not absolve all student loan in bankruptcy, but a portion of it under certain well-defined circumstances. Maybe absolve an amount that is equivalent to four years tuition at the applicable state college, and keep the student-debtor on the hook for anything more than that.

But this should not be an ordinary thing. It should be limited to extraordinary circumstances where for reasons that were totally unpredictable and without fault of the student-debtor, s/he is unable to repay.
Maybe it really is time to bring back debtor's prison.

Think man. Think!

I am.

WTFU!!!

You assume a lot.

God, you're stupid.

You trotted out your son as an example of someone who, according to your math, spent $120,000 on his education. Then you asked how anyone saddled with that kind of debt could ever afford that. I assumed you were referring to paying that back with a minimum wage job, since minimum wage is the actual topic of discussion.

My point is that NO ONE would have to afford to pay back $120,000 in college loans on minimum wage because someone who spends that on their education isn't going to have a minimum wage job unless they're a complete fucking idiot.

So, your point failed, simply because it wasn't pertinent to the conversation...
No fool. You got it all wrong.

Thanks to his extraordinarily intelligent father he never took a student loan. I bought into the state’s education trust, when he was born. Cost us about $10k. It paid all four years tuition, with some left over for my daughter.

Now had he been forced to borrow all that money at high rates of interest, it would cost him greatly as it has most kids subject to the scam that is higher education costs.

You see? I care about my fellow Americans and you don’t.

Think man. Think!

I am.

WTFU!!!

You assume a lot.

God, you're stupid.

Thanks to his extraordinarily intelligent father he never took a student loan. I bought into the state’s education trust, when he was born. Cost us about $10k. It paid all four years tuition, with some left over for my daughter.

Now had he been forced to borrow all that money at high rates of interest, it would cost him greatly as it has most kids subject to the scam that is higher education costs.

I certainly do.

But your son still stands as a good example, and I'm glad you brought him up in this conversation about minimum wage.

And why didn't his highly intelligent father do the same for his daughter? Doesn't sound all too intelligent to me.

But, anyway, your son paid $120,000 for his education. Someone who takes out $120,000 in student loans is not going to have to worry about paying those loans back while working a minimum wage job, simply because someone who spends $120,000 on their education is going to have a job which pays them enough to where they can pay those loans back. That's how it works. You borrow money, you pay it back.

You don't get to shirk your responsibility for the loans you willingly and freely chose to assume simply because you borrowed a lot of money and now have to pay it back...

Think man. Think!

I am.

WTFU!!!

You assume a lot.

God, you're stupid.

I certainly do.

But your son still stands as a good example, and I'm glad you brought him up in this conversation about minimum wage.

And why didn't his highly intelligent father do the same for his daughter? Doesn't sound all too intelligent to me.

But, anyway, your son paid $120,000 for his education. Someone who takes out $120,000 in student loans is not going to have to worry about paying those loans back while working a minimum wage job, simply because someone who spends $120,000 on their education is going to have a job which pays them enough to where they can pay those loans back. That's how it works. You borrow money, you pay it back.

You don't get to shirk your responsibility for the loans you willingly and freely chose to assume simply because you borrowed a lot of money and now have to pay it back...
So, you’re saying smart poor kids are fucked. Dumb.

My daughter was well taken care of dick lips.Private college that cost me big. Both kids are doing fantastic.

You don't like this. You want kids buried under mountains of debt or working menial jobs, because they can’t afford an education. Dumb.

So, you’re saying smart poor kids are fucked. Dumb.

If I wanted to say that, Buttmunch, I woud've.

See, there's a whole list of idiotic things you wish I'd said, but the fact is I never said them. You're the only idiot here, and you say idiotic things...

My daughter was well taken care of dick lips.Private college that cost me big. Both kids are doing fantastic.

There's not a single reason to believe that.

Since we're telling stories, though, here:

I had a friend in high school whose parents weren't poor, but they sure flirted with it. Theyt would've had a difficult time affording even tuition for a community college. Well, Arthur didn't want to go to community college. He wanted to go to Columbia. His parents definitely couldn't afford Columbia.

So he worked his ass off and got a full ride academic scholarship to Columbia. Arthur's now a cardiothoracic surgeon in Rochester, New York...

You don't like this. You want kids buried under mountains of debt or working menial jobs, because they can’t afford an education. Dumb.

No, you know what's dumb? Identifying a problem (high tuition costs) and then running your mouth, as if you might have something intelligent to say, and not saying a single fucking thing about fixing that problem. You want to put the onus of dealing with that problem on a corporation which has exactly nothing to do with the price of higher education in this country.

In short, you're an idiot...

Instead of wage growth we opted for debt growth as the path to the middle class. The boomers sit around bragging that they started with nothing when today's graduates would be thrilled to start with nothing instead of a debt they will be paying for years and years.
Progressives wash their hands of any responsibility for the unaffordability of higher education.

Here you have had a system over the years where tuition ONLY goes up. While others may suffer economically during economic declines, everyone suffers EXCEPT those at the university level.

How do they do it? Well government simply took over student loans and lowered interest rates, that way students could afford higher tuition by the government decreasing interest rates. However, to make sure students could not get out of their debt, to appease universities around the country, government made sure that getting out of student debt was the most draconian of all debt. In other words, you can never be free of it and will follow you till the day you die!

However, now we have arrived at a place where interest rates can't really be lowered any further, which means fewer and fewer kids will actually go to college. Now we are looking square into the bubble of ballooning costs for our Leftists universities around the country. The answer? Free college, but we all know it's not free, don't we.

No, now they will simply print money, which will further erode the wealth Americans may already have, as America continues its decline Marx style. But at least we all now know why tuition rates are so outrageous. Government drove them up, just like they did with health care.

So why do universities enjoy such a symbiotic relationship that no other industry seems to with government? It's because the agreement with the Left wing colleges with government is, indoctrinate for us and you will be handsomely reimbursed. And any kid who will try and forgo college, we will make sure that the economy is such that they will have no future.

Secondary education needs an overhaul for the 21st century to be sure, but not by the right. Seems you have forgotten what every other country in the world knows, subsidizing education is a national investment in the future.

Will liberals put up with the tracked system used for determining who gets to take advantage of that higher education, like in all of those countries around the world?

Horrible idea
We gave all those too big too fail companies more than enough money to pay off every mortgage in the country. But hey why bail out the little guy when you can have huge corporations in the pocket of the fucking government.
Can you imagine the spending power we would all have if we had used the first bail out to pay off mortgages. That's a world I would love to see. Imagine what it would do for mental health across the nation if we couldose the stress of paying a mortgage.

Horrible idea
We gave all those too big too fail companies more than enough money to pay off every mortgage in the country. But hey why bail out the little guy when you can have huge corporations in the pocket of the fucking government.
Can you imagine the spending power we would all have if we had used the first bail out to pay off mortgages. That's a world I would love to see. Imagine what it would do for mental health across the nation if we couldose the stress of paying a mortgage.

Can you imagine the spending power we would all have if we had used the first bail out to pay off mortgages.

Which bailout?

Horrible idea

Can you imagine the spending power we would all have if we had used the first bail out to pay off mortgages.

Which bailout?
Who really cares any of them. Of course dumb fuckers probably be right back to where they were in a few years. Still a world I would have liked to see. Probably bush-obama bailout. Bush wrote it and Obama installed it. I had a mortgage back then. Would not help me now but it would help family and friends

Horrible idea

Which bailout?
Who really cares any of them. Of course dumb fuckers probably be right back to where they were in a few years. Still a world I would have liked to see. Probably bush-obama bailout. Bush wrote it and Obama installed it. I had a mortgage back then. Would not help me now but it would help family and friends

Who really cares any of them.

I care, but you can't defend your claim.

Horrible idea

Which bailout?

Probably bush-obama bailout.

TARP?

There is no need to cancel student debt.

Give the Xiden regime a year and every student will able to pay off all their student debt for the same number of Xiden-bucks as it costs to buy a plain McDonald's burger.

Horrible idea

Which bailout?

Who really cares any of them.

I care, but you can't defend your claim.
My claim that I would like to see a world where the bail out eliminated all of our mortgages. I can imagine the purchasing power people would have. Well since I decide what I would like to see I am pretty sure I am the world's foremost expert on what I would like to see. But hey ya think you know me better I am open to hearing about it. Lol

My claim that I would like to see a world where the bail out eliminated all of our mortgages.

The "bailout" was short term loans.
How would another loan have allowed you to pay off your mortgage?

Are you drunk?
What the fuck are you talking about. We are not talking about what actually happened. No bail out payed off mortgages. Some one said maybe they .should. I said I would like to see a worl like that. Can you imagine the purchasing power we would have. Can you not fucking read.

My claim that I would like to see a world where the bail out eliminated all of our mortgages.

The "bailout" was short term loans.
How would another loan have allowed you to pay off your mortgage?

Are you drunk?
What the fuck are you talking about. We are not talking about what actually happened. No bail out payed off mortgages. Some one said maybe they .should. I said I would like to see a worl like that. Can you imagine the purchasing power we would have. Can you not fucking read.

What the fuck are you talking about.

About your stupid claim that one of our "bailouts" could have paid off all the mortgages.

We are not talking about what actually happened.

Obviously.

Can you imagine the purchasing power we would have.

No, I can't imagine. Because your math really sucks.

New Topics

Forum List

Back