Cancelling Student Debt is Highly Regressive

Nope, I paid mine off and worked 60 hours a week.

This is a regressive mindset. People like you would stop the world from becoming a better place out of spite and selfishness. We should always seek to make the world better for those that come after us. We should also seek to make it as easy and painless as possible for more Americans to become more educated. That's how we don't get outpaced by China in an ever technologically advancing world.
Theft and redistribution of wealth isnt painless.

Are public schools theft and redistribution of wealth? We are talking about doing things that will lead to more educated Americans. Surely educating more Americans and setting up young people as much as possible is a worthy goal for any nationalist, no? China outnumbers us almost 5 to 1. We will need to have higher quality stock if we're to remain top dog. I don't think anybody wants to find out what it'll be like when a guy like Xi is in charge of the most powerful country on Earth.

Education is going to become more and more vital as the world becomes more and more advanced. Would efforts to make it easier for young people to get educated really hinder your life in any meaningful way, or is it really just a principle thing for you? I want America to be and stay the greatest country on Earth. We can't do that if young people are continually forced to go into debilitating debt for having the audacity to seek more education.
Not everyone can be a CEO, or an IT professional, there has to be truck drivers and ditch diggers, and sanitation workers. What about people who are simply not cut out for college? What about the people who are not smart enough to get through college? Do we look at them and say "sorry, but if you were as smart as other people, you'd get free college too, so since you're not, you'll just have to contribute your tax dollars to help other smarter people pay for their college."

What do we do for those people? When you look at it like that, your idea kind of sounds a bit...elitist...

Free college would have to assume that everyone would be able to go, but, in truth, not everyone is cut out for college. Is it fair to make them pay extra tax dollars to support the smarter people who will go in to make really great money, while the not so smart folks had to work in the labor jobs all their lives to pay their way?

Do you think there's any wasted potential in the U.S due to education being expensive?

Largely the contrary.

but both sides have lots of asswipes in it who only care about you as long as you agree with them.....otherwise fuck you....

Agreed.

For the record I find most Democrats disgusting. It's embarrassing that Hillary and Joe are the best they've got.
both sides are at the bottom of the barrel .....quality people dont want to run and have they and their families dragged through the mud.....it aint worth it to them....

Teaching people that when they sign a contract and life gets tough others need to forgive their debt is a positive?

Maybe there shouldn't be an entire system designed to talk economically ignorant young people into taking on severe debt so they can get educated.

I’m not talking about what should or shouldn’t be. I’m stating that a word is your honor. I have paid off many loans in my life because I said I would. I had tough economic times and at times made arrangements to make sure I paid them off.

Are you wanting young people to learn that they are not responsible for their actions or debt?

Nope, I paid mine off and worked 60 hours a week.

This is a regressive mindset. People like you would stop the world from becoming a better place out of spite and selfishness. We should always seek to make the world better for those that come after us. We should also seek to make it as easy and painless as possible for more Americans to become more educated. That's how we don't get outpaced by China in an ever technologically advancing world.
Theft and redistribution of wealth isnt painless.

Are public schools theft and redistribution of wealth? We are talking about doing things that will lead to more educated Americans. Surely educating more Americans and setting up young people as much as possible is a worthy goal for any nationalist, no? China outnumbers us almost 5 to 1. We will need to have higher quality stock if we're to remain top dog. I don't think anybody wants to find out what it'll be like when a guy like Xi is in charge of the most powerful country on Earth.

Education is going to become more and more vital as the world becomes more and more advanced. Would efforts to make it easier for young people to get educated really hinder your life in any meaningful way, or is it really just a principle thing for you? I want America to be and stay the greatest country on Earth. We can't do that if young people are continually forced to go into debilitating debt for having the audacity to seek more education.
Not everyone can be a CEO, or an IT professional, there has to be truck drivers and ditch diggers, and sanitation workers. What about people who are simply not cut out for college? What about the people who are not smart enough to get through college? Do we look at them and say "sorry, but if you were as smart as other people, you'd get free college too, so since you're not, you'll just have to contribute your tax dollars to help other smarter people pay for their college."

What do we do for those people? When you look at it like that, your idea kind of sounds a bit...elitist...

Free college would have to assume that everyone would be able to go, but, in truth, not everyone is cut out for college. Is it fair to make them pay extra tax dollars to support the smarter people who will go in to make really great money, while the not so smart folks had to work in the labor jobs all their lives to pay their way?

Do you think there's any wasted potential in the U.S due to education being expensive?
Sure, I can agree that there is wasted potential in people who may not have the opportunity to attend college, but generally people with potential find a way, be it grants or internships.

How do you reconcile giving one person a leg up because they have potential, but then the guy who may not be very bright just has to tough it out in the trenches? Again, take this too far and you are in danger of being elitists.

I understand where you are coming from, but things get muddy when you want to take from some people (which includes the less fortunate) and give to other people (which includes the most fortunate).

Free education would not be available to everyone because not everyone is college material.

If it was free, why wouldn't everyone go?

Party for free for 4 years on the taxpayer's dime.

What could go wrong?
Thats also a drawback. Why do we want to pay some teenager to drink and screw for 2 years before they get serious about their college future.

Yeah, you should wait until you are elected to Congress for that.

Sure, I can agree that there is wasted potential in people who may not have the opportunity to attend college, but generally people with potential find a way, be it grants or internships.

How do you reconcile giving one person a leg up because they have potential, but then the guy who may not be very bright just has to tough it out in the trenches? Again, take this too far and you are in danger of being elitists.

I understand where you are coming from, but things get muddy when you want to take from some people (which includes the less fortunate) and give to other people (which includes the most fortunate).

I think it will be easier for more people to get more educated if we find a way to mitigate or remove the financial burden placed on individuals seeking higher education. I think in the future there won't be much room for uneducated people to be useful in the workforce. We're moving towards automated truck driving among other things; it's not going to stop. Many low skill jobs are going to go away. I think to deal with that we will have to start seriously looking at things like UBI. Society will descend into turmoil if we have millions of people with no way to make a living.

If we're actually going to stay ahead of China in the next 100 years people like you are going to have to realize I'm right about this. Getting as many Americans as educated as possible is paramount to the continuation of our global dominance. Will everybody be worth the investment? No, of course not, but we can't let that get in the way of what we need to do.

Last edited:
Our nation isn't "healthy" because we're not giving free degrees to every tom dick and harry that wants one and can't afford it?

Funny, my dad stocked shelves at a TG&Y for 4 years to pay for college. He thinks it's bullshit that taxpayers should have to pay for college degrees of kids today. He said if I could bust my ass and pay my own way so can they.

A job stocking shelves these days would earn you 12k/yr if you're lucky. You think a young person today could do what your dad did as easily as he did, or would it be harder?

PhD my ass! Minimum wage is more than $12k/yr dumbass! Do the math!

Our nation isn't "healthy" because we're not giving free degrees to every tom dick and harry that wants one and can't afford it?

Funny, my dad stocked shelves at a TG&Y for 4 years to pay for college. He thinks it's bullshit that taxpayers should have to pay for college degrees of kids today. He said if I could bust my ass and pay my own way so can they.

A job stocking shelves these days would earn you 12k/yr if you're lucky. You think a young person today could do what your dad did as easily as he did, or would it be harder?

According to Google...

"The annual earnings for a full-time minimum-wage worker is $15,080."

My bad. This doesn't really weaken my argument though. That's not enough money to live and pay for college out of pocket. Things have changed.

According to Google...

"The annual earnings for a full-time minimum-wage worker is $15,080."

My bad. This doesn't really weaken my argument though. That's not enough money to live and pay for college out of pocket. Things have changed.

Why are these morons making minimum wage? Delivery drivers for Domino's make more than that! Starting pay for McDonald's is $11.00 an hour around here.

I have NEVER worked for minimum wage, and neither have any of my adult children.

Why are these morons making minimum wage? Delivery drivers for Domino's make more than that! I have NEVER worked for minimum wage, and neither have any of my adult children.

Even above the minimum wage it would be extremely difficult or impossible for most people to pay for college out of pocket. I don't think a delivery driver could do it either. You're also ignoring the point. The poster I quoted said that his dad paid for college out of pocket with a shelf stocking job. My response to that is such a thing is not really doable today if you're supporting yourself. The world is different than it was. It's harder for young people to gain economic momentum and there are reputable studies to support that claim.

Last edited:
Also I want to reiterate that young people are not responsible for the state of the world they are growing up in. If everything including parenting is fucked up then it is the generations that came before them that are to blame for that. Placing all of the blame on lazy young people is ignorant and wrong. They are products of the world your generation created.

Why are these morons making minimum wage? Delivery drivers for Domino's make more than that! I have NEVER worked for minimum wage, and neither have any of my adult children.

Even above the minimum wage it would be extremely difficult or impossible for most people to pay for college out of pocket. I don't think a delivery driver could do it either. You're also ignoring the point. The poster I quoted said that his dad paid for college out of pocket with a shelf stocking job. My response to him is that's not really doable today if you're supporting yourself. The world is different than it was. It's harder for young people to gain economic momentum and there are reputable studies to support that claim.

Why are they trying to pay for college out of pocket?

Why are they trying to pay for college out of pocket?

Again, I was responding to a poster that said his dad did it out of pocket as a shelf stocker. I took that as him implying that such a thing could still be done today, but that's not the case. That not being the case also adds to the point I'm making. It's harder today than it was back then. His dad was able to pay for college with a minimum wage job. I imagine a lot of young people wish they could do that today.

Why aren’t these Democrats talking Student Loan Reform? Namely, there should be caps/ceilings as to how much debt a student can assume and guidelines and stipulations. This is not a credit card.

The US taxpayer should not be on the hook for the poor college student that racked up $100ks in loans to attend a private college 3 time zones away and get a degree in some bullshit major for which there is little to no demand for in the job market.

Moving forward, tax-payer funded student loans or “free college” need to be capped for 2 and 4 year degrees at state and local schools or trade schools and can only be applied towards degrees and certifications for which there is a minimum demand for.

It is a transfer of wealth to the richest people in society and should not be done.

View attachment 423955

No source or study cited. Well let's believe yet another anonymous tweet!!

If the government is going to pay off student debt they might as well give every taxpayer 50 thousand dollars also. This will only be popular for those involved and near them. Progs love them some grinding at the social classes level. It pays to not pay.

Also I want to reiterate that young people are not responsible for the state of the world they are growing up in. If everything including parenting is fucked up then it is the generations that came before them that are to blame for that. Placing all of the blame on lazy young people is ignorant and wrong. They are products of the world your generation created.

Blaming everyone else for your own failures. This is classic liberal leech teachings. You took out the loan. Pay the note. It's your responsibility. Not mine.

Forum List

Back