Canadians stunned to learn they have police records, despite never being found guilty

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This is an important article that sheds the light on Canada's Stasi tactics. The expansion of Canadian communist tactics extends FAR beyond just the economy and it is coming to a head as the Canadian economy hasn't had steam for a decade, interest rates haven't moved in a decade, we are facing bankruptcy in a number of jurisdictions. The RCMP and their surrogates have a large hand in this failure. Can you imagine Americans dealing with the presumption of guilt based on the word of an undercover that plays God? No judge, jury or executioner, just guilt by association or the word of a C.I is enough. The Minority Report in a tinpot democracy.

America and Europe has to reconsider how it engages with a country like Canada, this is the top of the iceberg and the more we influence you via Snowflakes in California and the like the closer you appear to be like us. You can just imagine what these same agencies do to businesses within Canadian borders...

Canadians stunned to learn they have police records, despite never being found guilty | Toronto Star

Chris

The 27-year-old construction worker hoped that firefighting was a calling he would one day turn into a profession.

He was overjoyed when he earned a part-time spot at his hometown firefighting service in Caledon last April. After training for months on weekends and occasional week nights, Chris (who asked that we not publish his last name) was asked to provide a “vulnerable sector” police check in August.

The results left him stunned.

While the check itself indicated no charges or convictions, there was a letter attached.

“It said I was named in a drug investigation,” he says. “I asked them what was going on because I had no idea. I’d never been talked to by police, pulled over or brought into a police station.”

It turns out a friend had been convicted on drug charges after being investigated by an undercover police officer. Chris had been out socially with his pal on three or four occasions when the undercover officer was with him.

“For me to be investigated, I understand, but to go on my record when I was hanging out with a group of people? My friend sold drugs. He’s an idiot. But I shouldn’t get penalized for what he did.”

RELATED : No charges, no trial, but presumed guilty

He says he was never questioned so he had no idea there was a mark on his police record.

“I thought you had to be at least questioned before you got a record. I was just hanging out (with my friend) while he was investigated.”

A few days later, he received a couriered letter from the town saying he was terminated from the fire service due to a “non-clean” background check.

Unless the law changes, firefighting is no longer a career possibility for Chris anywhere in Canada.

Living in a small town, the stigma lingers, he says.

“It’s embarrassing. I run into people all the time and they think I’m a drug dealer. Everyone knows you got kicked off in a small town.”

All soundclip interviews courtesy of Canadian Civil Liberties Association (CCLA). Audio producer: Kevin Philipupillai

Mark de Pelham

Mark de Pelham, a 34-year-old Torontonian who has twice run for a seat in federal parliament, says he lost two jobs in 2008 as a result of drug-related charges for which he was never convicted.

Afterward, he took allegations of discrimination — based on his “record of offences” — to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal. The tribunal dismissed his complaint in 2009, ruling that the Human Rights Code protects Ontarians with “record of offences” from discrimination if they were convicted of an offence. It does not, the tribunal ruled, extend that protection to those who have been charged but not convicted.

De Pelham calls that “absurd.”

“Someone convicted beyond a reasonable doubt and later pardoned is protected and I’m not,” he says.

Things went swiftly downhill.

“I became fixated on the decision. It really precipitated an extended period of alcohol and drug use. It was rock bottom,” he says. “If nobody else is going to hire you, you’re going to be angry at society and you’re not going to care.”

Last year, he pleaded guilty to possession of an unauthorized firearm and was sentenced to six months in jail. He served two months before being released on parole.

Now, he is challenging the constitutionality of the province’s Human Rights Code in a civil action against the Attorney General of Ontario.

Stacey

Like most Canadians, Stacey (who asked that her last name not be published) never imagined that calls to 911 would show up on her police record. The Coquitlam, B.C., resident says “squabbles” with her sister and mother beginning in 2005 triggered four calls to 911.

She thought nothing of them until she applied for a volunteer dog-walking position in 2010. The facility asked for a background check.

While no criminal convictions appeared, the 911 calls did.

She was turned down. She says she has been stopped at the U.S. border several times and turned back. She suspects this is a result of the same records.

“They make you wait five hours in the office then they deny me access. It depends on who is at the border that day. If they pull me in, they always deny me.”

She has asked police to have the records expunged on the basis that they amount to health records and contain no criminal convictions.

“They replied by saying, ‘You do not have a record,’ and not to worry about it. Yet it has left me frozen and uncertain of what lay ahead,” she says. “It is preventing me from proper employment and re-entering society.”

Catherine

When Catherine (whose name and location is being withheld at her request) was studying nursing at an Ontario university two years ago, she was cracking the dean’s list and proving a natural at her chosen profession.

As part of the program, she underwent detailed police checks annually — all without incident.

Until 2012.

That year, a change in the police disclosure policy produced two incidents dating back to 2009 involving alleged “violent and aggressive” behaviour noted by police.

Both stemmed from mental health incidents she suffered following the end of a relationship, she and her parents say.

In both cases, after having too much to drink, she said she wanted to end her life. Neither incident was remotely “violent” nor “aggressive,” they say.

“I’d been going through a rough time when that had happened and I was just getting over it,” says the 25 year old. “I was just starting to make something of my life and contribute to society and they threw that at me. And I couldn’t even defend myself because it wasn’t a charge where I could have my say. It was an encounter and it was completely one sided. I was shocked.”

Asked why the information was suddenly being released, police officials told her they had changed their disclosure policy to include mental health issues.

“She was never charged with anything, but it could stick with her for the rest of her life,” says her father, who hired a lawyer to help clear her record.

The most vexing part, they say, is that if the police check had been conducted by a different force in another city, that same information would likely not have been included because of vast differences in policies from force to force, says her mother.

“It’s like a police state. It depends on where you are. You just don’t know if something is going to come up. You don’t know if you should call 911 because it could end up on their police check.”

The local police agreed to remove the mental health records following an appeal by the family’s lawyers, but said the decision could be changed at any time.

Catherine is now working as a nurse in Ontario.

“Most jobs require you to get an updated vulnerable-sector check every few years so it puts you in a position where you’re not really secure,” she says. “In my opinion, a vulnerable sector is looking for someone who is going to take advantage of vulnerable people and none of what I did would classify as someone who would do that.”

Last edited:
Well in Canada you have one advantage. You can learn what the police have on you in the file. In the US you can learn some, but not all. Worse those things you can't learn about can be used against you in discrimination against you for jobs.

You can be put on lists like the No Fly List and have no idea if you are on it, or why, until you try to rush home to see a dying relative.

I think it is safe to say that things are fucked all over.

Well in Canada you have one advantage. You can learn what the police have on you in the file. In the US you can learn some, but not all. Worse those things you can't learn about can be used against you in discrimination against you for jobs.

You can be put on lists like the No Fly List and have no idea if you are on it, or why, until you try to rush home to see a dying relative.

What do you think is happening in Canada? Did you read the article? There is ZERO accountability. The police in Canada have become the largest National Security threat due to their massive growth in budgets, interference in the marketplace (including against foreign businesses), and, worse, the aforementioned lack of accountability.

Due to these abuses, Canada is falling far behind the rest of the Western democracies, relying solely on debt to operate our system as our economy has little to no growth and salaries have been stagnant for a decade.

What do you think is happening in Canada? Did you read the article? There is ZERO accountability. The police in Canada have become the largest National Security threat due to their massive growth in budgets, interference in the marketplace (including against foreign businesses), and, worse, the aforementioned lack of accountability.

Due to these abuses, Canada is falling far behind the rest of the Western democracies, relying solely on debt to operate our system as our economy has little to no growth and salaries have been stagnant for a decade.

Yeah. We are doing that too. All of that. We used several rounds of "Quantative Easing" to fund the Government. It is a neat system.

The US Treasury borrows money from the Reserve Bank. The Reserve Bank in turn borrows the same money back from the Treasury. This is all done electronically so no one is actually printing money. But now there is a trillion dollars that didn't exist a few hours ago. This money is circulated to the banks and everyone is happy. There is plenty of money.

We went through several rounds of this nonsense. Dollars that exist only in the imagination of the people. Congress authorized this policy of print more dough.

Everything that is happening in Canada has been happening here too. Secret lists and untouchable cops? Got them. Have had them for decades. Even when the abuses come to light nothing is done except to authorize the abuses after the fact. Secret rooms at AT&T? Well those are illegal. So let's pass a law making them legal. War on Terror baby.

I'd say that Canada is about even with us in civil rights abuses. The fiscal policy? We've been there for years.

And I think we are going to keep going until the entire blasted thing collapses. The reason is plain to see. No politician will admit defeat until the entire nation is in flames.

Yeah. We are doing that too. All of that. We used several rounds of "Quantative Easing" to fund the Government. It is a neat system.

The US Treasury borrows money from the Reserve Bank. The Reserve Bank in turn borrows the same money back from the Treasury. This is all done electronically so no one is actually printing money. But now there is a trillion dollars that didn't exist a few hours ago. This money is circulated to the banks and everyone is happy. There is plenty of money.

We went through several rounds of this nonsense. Dollars that exist only in the imagination of the people. Congress authorized this policy of print more dough.

Everything that is happening in Canada has been happening here too. Secret lists and untouchable cops? Got them. Have had them for decades. Even when the abuses come to light nothing is done except to authorize the abuses after the fact. Secret rooms at AT&T? Well those are illegal. So let's pass a law making them legal. War on Terror baby.

I'd say that Canada is about even with us in civil rights abuses. The fiscal policy? We've been there for years.

And I think we are going to keep going until the entire blasted thing collapses. The reason is plain to see. No politician will admit defeat until the entire nation is in flames.

There is a massive difference though, accountability, your legal system and your constitution. You always have an outlet, be it media or the courts to alleviate your problem. We don't have this in Canada. We have one national media outlet and it is owned by the government. We have a court system that is extremely biased and unaccountable.

Let me give you an example that might make my point and you can google this as it is not fake news or alternative news, I don't use anything but mainstream sources. None other than a former CIA agent openly stated that he was stunned when he learned of how much power CSIS (our CIA equivalent) has in Canada. They can engage in operations and are not under any obligation to share these operations with our government. They simply deny any investigation or access to our federal politicians. Tell me THAT isn't scary.

In my pursuit of blowing the whistle and exposing what I know about the Canadian security apparatus spying on American businesses in particular, I found the most helpful were by far American citizens. I also had some good, supportive advise from well meaning Brits, but without question Americans; some who in their former life were members of said community, were quite helpful to me.

Therefore, I went from seeking accountability domestically to expressing what I knew Internationally. In particular the EU and U.S.

Accountability? Really? The NSA learned that their people were accessing databases inappropriately and in violation of the law. None were charged with a crime. None were fired. None were disciplined. Accountability?

Police misconduct and unjustified use of force goes unpunished every day.

Police abuses of civil rights goes on every day. Even cities that are under compliance actions just keep on and get nothing done.

The few cops who get thrown to the proverbial wolves are tokens to keep the illusion of a force trying to fight corruption.

There isn't any accountability here either man. I wish there was. How many IRS folks were fired after that scandal? Oh yeah. None. The illusion of accountability is all we have.

A cop shoots a man with his hands up on the side of a road and isn't charged with disturbing the peace. Cleared of all wrongdoing.

The police actively interfered with the investigation into John Geer's death. When the facts finally came out the department that had been stonewalling the investigation threw the shooter to the wolves and suffered no blowback for spending two years of malfeasance.

Forum List

Back