Minnesota Justice David Stras, Trump's pick for Eighth Circuit, enjoys broad swath of support

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Minnesota Supreme Court Justice David Stras, nominated Monday by President Donald Trump to fill a vacancy on the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, is described by colleagues as a scholar who can build bridges with colleagues on the bench.

A longtime member of the Federalist Society, a national conservative group, Stras surfaced last year on a list of potential U.S. Supreme Court nominees for the new president.

Stras was appointed to the Minnesota Supreme Court in 2010 by then-Gov. Tim Pawlenty, a Republican, and was a law and political science professor at the University of Minnesota from 2004 until his appointment.

A court spokesman said Monday that Stras was not available to comment.

Chuck Webber, a Minneapolis attorney at Faegre Baker Daniels, said Stras did not shy away from siding with more liberal justices such as Alan Page when applying the law.

"He's not beholden to anyone," Webber said.
Minnesota Justice David Stras, Trump's pick for Eighth Circuit, enjoys broad swath of support

I'm sure this will cause a ruckus---just as soon as someone tells the rest of the media to deliver more talking points.

I'm not a fan of the Federalists, among the Founders or among present day political sects, but he should provide welcome balancing opinions desparately needed on Federal circuit courts, for sure.

I'm not a fan of the Federalists, among the Founders or among present day political sects, but he should provide welcome balancing opinions desparately needed on Federal circuit courts, for sure.

I am a federalist, and welcome this pick.

I'm a Jefferson fan, and of the demographics that elected him to VP and Prez. Madison was the best of the Federalists and worked well with Jefferson on many points, the Hamiltonians might as well have been Tories.

I'm a Jefferson fan, and of the demographics that elected him to VP and Prez. Madison was the best of the Federalists and worked well with Jefferson on many points, the Hamiltonians might as well have been Tories.

The main issue is post 14th amendment the older concepts of Federalism have largely been made moot. My current issue is that in that with regards to federalism progressive courts go with Local overreach on things like gun control, and federal overreach on things like abortion and marriage license issuance.

trump will place a hundred or so conservative justices to the courts over his terms in office

The main issue is post 14th amendment the older concepts of Federalism have largely been made moot. My current issue is that in that with regards to federalism progressive courts go with Local overreach on things like gun control, and federal overreach on things like abortion and marriage license issuance.

The Civil War era SC was a corrupt and vile criminal enterprise; all decisions of the Chase Court should be tossed out and retried; most were illegal and one Judge was proven to have taken bribes. they all did but this one was particularly open and blatant about soliciting them.

Carter appointed are real winner on the Fla App Court Alcee Hastings. He is now a Congessman from Fla he was removed from the Bench for taking bribes...BTW he is still in office. Google the name you will be surprised

Forum List

Back