Canadian .gov outraged over $ 50 jug of vodka

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Sounds like the distillery discontinued the Jug O' Vodka after the faux "outrage".......Milk jug vodka should go on the shelf next to antifreeze jug whiskey. ;)

rXis0cY.jpg

What, did they want it in bags like their milk? :laughing0301:

From SomeHoser:

That's "house vodka" in most Hoser bars.

Vodka shots/drinks are typically $5 each. 4 liters would produce 135 1 ounce shots. That's 675 bucks for an outlay of 50 bucks for the booze and whatever the cost of the mix is, probably no more than 20 bucks.

Bar owners are regulated to purchase their booze from .gov approved distributors with insanely inflated prices but most of them ignore that law and shop for the cheapest rot-gut they can find.....The Hoser .gov does not like competition.

$50 for a 4 liter bottle of vodka is a premium price in my view. Here in Pennsylvania, fine Crown Russe vodka is $9.39 for a 1.75 liter bottle.

Sounds like the distillery discontinued the Jug O' Vodka after the faux "outrage".......Milk jug vodka should go on the shelf next to antifreeze jug whiskey. ;)

rXis0cY.jpg

From SomeHoser:

Vodka shots/drinks are typically $5 each. 4 liters would produce 135 1 ounce shots. That's 675 bucks for an outlay of 50 bucks for the booze and whatever the cost of the mix is, probably no more than 20 bucks.

Bar owners are regulated to purchase their booze from .gov approved distributors with insanely inflated prices but most of them ignore that law and shop for the cheapest rot-gut they can find.....The Hoser .gov does not like competition.

A gallon is 4 liters. here in Kansas good vodka is $25 a liter and up.

I'm not sure what cheap vodka is but i bet it still costs more than $50.00 for 4 liters of it.

State tax must be really low.

Not particularly. Prices are state controlled, and include a levy for relief of the Johnstown flood which occurred in 1889 and the tax has never been repealed.

Popularly priced vodka in the 1.75 liter bottle is about $10 in a lot of states.

Not particularly. Prices are state controlled, and include a levy for relief of the Johnstown flood which occurred in 1889 and the tax has never been repealed.

Popularly priced vodka in the 1.75 liter bottle is about $10 in a lot of states.
All I can say is a recently paid $60 for 1.75 litre of Grey Goose.

rXis0cY.jpg

From SomeHoser:

That would be right about average in WA.

Even though they privatized liquor sales in '12, The State just couldn't allow itself to be deprived of the loot they were getting from their monopoly price gouging operation...They have levied things like a "bottle tax" and other "fees" on liquor sales, which has kept the prices every bit as ridiculous as they were under the State store model.

Minneapolis is still charging the per-drink tax that was enacted to finance the Metrodome, which has been built and leveled.

Nothing is more permanent than a "temporary" tax.

Grey Goose is an expensive brand, its $50 for 1.75 litre in Pennsylvania.

The OP is about more popularly price booze.
And as I said originally I don't know what cheap vodka sells for here. I don't drink enough of anything to need to pinch pennies and buy the cheap crappy stuff. The Vodka I just bought will last a year or more.

And as I said originally I don't know what cheap vodka sells for here. I don't drink enough of anything to need to pinch pennies and buy the cheap crappy stuff. The Vodka I just bought will last a year or more.

You get a nice looking bottle to impress people I guess, by buying Grey Goose.

Here's a tip to save money. This fellow I went to college with had an expensive wine bottle he used to refill with the discount brand, Tiger Rose. College broads were still impressed.

You can refill that Grey Goose bottle with the less expensive vodka, and I bet a lot of people will be none the wiser.

I used to sell beer in the 1990s. We imported beer from the US into Canada. A flat of 24 cans wholesale cost us $3.80. As the distributor, we tacked on $0.25 and sold it to the Liquor Control Board of Ontario for $4.05. The government then turned around and sold it in their retail stores for $28.

The LCBO is the largest purchaser of booze on earth. The provincial government makes so much money that LCBO employees are considered essential workers. Teachers are not. When the LCBO union called a strike, the provincial government passed a law mandating workers back to their jobs.

I worked in the booze business when I was younger and only for a few years. Since then, I've developed a knowledge of whiskey and own about 200 bottles. I was in Toronto about a year ago, and went to the so-called biggest retail store in the province. The selection sucked. It was better in Saskatoon where they privatized liquor retail a decade ago.

Government usually just fucks things up.

Minneapolis is still charging the per-drink tax that was enacted to finance the Metrodome, which has been built and leveled.

Nothing is more permanent than a "temporary" tax.
Yea, but the name has likely changed multiple times. It's now the U.S. Bank per-drink tax.

You get a nice looking bottle to impress people I guess, by buying Grey Goose.

Here's a tip to save money. This fellow I went to college with had an expensive wine bottle he used to refill with the discount brand, Tiger Rose. College broads were still impressed.

You can refill that Grey Goose bottle with the less expensive vodka, and I bet a lot of people will be none the wiser.
Ok, dude.

Go back to your Ripple and let the rest of us enjoy some quality.

A review for the product:

If you’ve never heard or seen of Mr. Boston vodka – I ask that next time you go to a package store to look at the very bottom shelf, and most likely stuffed under the shelf on the floor is Mr. Boston – and it seems for good reason.

They give it 0 stars.

Someone said it wasn't bad with Ramen Noodles though.

Forum List

Back