Canadian .gov outraged over $ 50 jug of vodka

Gallon jugs of vodka???

View attachment 931470
Other than a $50 headache in a jug, I don't see any difference from NW US alcohol laws (state owned liquor stores). Granted, I haven't seen any gallon jugs, but I've seen 1/2 gallons (1.75 liter) bottles that sell for more than $50 bucks. The problem lies with the government. The screw everything up with taxes and control of what, when and where the population gets a particular product. In the US, that $50 cdn would only be about $37.50 US

I used to sell beer in the 1990s. We imported beer from the US into Canada. A flat of 24 cans wholesale cost us $3.80. As the distributor, we tacked on $0.25 and sold it to the Liquor Control Board of Ontario for $4.05. The government then turned around and sold it in their retail stores for $28.

The LCBO is the largest purchaser of booze on earth. The provincial government makes so much money that LCBO employees are considered essential workers. Teachers are not. When the LCBO union called a strike, the provincial government passed a law mandating workers back to their jobs.

I worked in the booze business when I was younger and only for a few years. Since then, I've developed a knowledge of whiskey and own about 200 bottles. I was in Toronto about a year ago, and went to the so-called biggest retail store in the province. The selection sucked. It was better in Saskatoon where they privatized liquor retail a decade ago.

Government usually just fucks things up.
I saw the same in BC about 20 years ago. State stores and major gov't control over prices to discourage use. I remember going into a bar in Victoria and ordering two domestic beers and two shots of tequila and the guy told me $28. Common price in the US was about $14 tops, so it was about 25% more taking into account exchange rates. I questioned the bartender and he came up with a cock and bull story about a "bad year for the agave industry" I approached the owner and he said "Go someplace else if you don't like the price"--so we did.

Forum List

Back