Canada prioritizes police state over citizens health: Nurses fear 20 ICUs at risk of shutdown due to staffing shortages

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
E.R being shut down over night, 7 hour long waits for ambulances, 22 hour waits at hospitals, dying in hallways, and now, ICUs being shutdown.

The plain clothed police apparatus is going strong though. They even generate their own business!

The Ontario Nurses Association says its members fear beds and ICUs at about 20 hospitals are at risk of being shut down due to a lack of staff.

“It’s probably far more than that,” Ontario Nurses Association President Cathryn Hoy said Friday. “Members have just not reached out to me about it.”

“This is the long weekend where traditionally ER visits escalate. And that means admissions escalate,” she added.

Lakeridge Health closed its ICU in Bowmanville.

“We have made the difficult decision to temporarily relocate the Bowmanville Hospital Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and consolidate critical care services to the Ajax Pickering and Oshawa Hospitals,” the hospital said in a statement.

Hoy said Bowmanville’s situation had been building.

“That tiny hospital was for a very small community when it started. And that community has grown so much,” Hoy said.

She said staffing issues have worsened as nurses leave the profession, or move to the United States and to Alberta for higher pay.

Ask anyone is the health industry - "why the shortages??"
And they will tell you - soooo many young people don't want to work full time.
They just want to work enough to be able to pay for basic needs while living with their parents.
There is no shortage of part time staff. There are critical shortages of full time staff. Because the part time Gen Z'ers don't want to work.
Second to that is young people today are not prepared for stress. They simply don't know how to deal with it.
Growing up with the only thing important is a 3" x 5" screen stuck in their faces 18 hours a day - real life is alien.
Tik Tok, Instagram - no stress there. It is all they have known.
They can't hack it - so they have left in droves.

Ask anyone is the health industry - "why the shortages??"
And they will tell you - soooo many young people don't want to work full time.
They just want to work enough to be able to pay for basic needs while living with their parents.
There is no shortage of part time staff. There are critical shortages of full time staff. Because the part time Gen Z'ers don't want to work.

I disagree. In Canada we have been losing doctors and nurses for decades, most who wisely move to the U.S at a young age (MANY older Canadians wish they had made that same decision). I have been sounding the alarm for a VERY long time, Go look at how many police stay in the job 40 or 50 years though, "full time" of course. THEY have stolen resources and forced out talented citizens ad they never leave their jobs as the taxpayer goes broke.

On top of the brain drain, many nurses in particular left because they refuse to be vaccinated. Or, they refused to be boosted, again and again.

Then there is burnout. Nurses by Canadian standards make a very good living, but they are constantly understaffed and too few (like the above mentioned career) get into nursing for service, they do it for the money. Many of them decided, "I'd rather make (less than) half my salary working in retail".

On top of the brain drain, many nurses in particular left because they refuse to be vaccinated. Or, they refused to be boosted, again and again.

Over 20 times more Nurses left due to fear being infected by covid, than left due to vaccine mandates.

More got burned out from long hours from covid patient overload.

I disagree. In Canada we have been losing doctors and nurses for decades, most who wisely move to the U.S at a young age (MANY older Canadians wish they had made that same decision). I have been sounding the alarm for a VERY long time, Go look at how many police stay in the job 40 or 50 years though, "full time" of course. THEY have stolen resources and forced out talented citizens ad they never leave their jobs as the taxpayer goes broke.

Then there is burnout. Nurses by Canadian standards make a very good living, but they are constantly understaffed and too few (like the above mentioned career) get into nursing for service, they do it for the money. Many of them decided, "I'd rather make (less than) half my salary working in retail".
You disagreed by agreeing... you realize that right?
True in Canada, you always have the "behemoth in the south" United States. That giant vacuum that sucks all the talent out of Canada.
But you also mention that too many get into it then "oh wait... they really have to work! I didn't realize medical staff actually work hard and have responsibility.... responsibility... ewww...."

You disagreed by agreeing... you realize that right?
True in Canada, you always have the "behemoth in the south" United States. That giant vacuum that sucks all the talent out of Canada.
But you also mention that too many get into it then "oh wait... they really have to work! I didn't realize medical staff actually work hard and have responsibility.... responsibility... ewww...."

No, they have to work at the speed akin to a fast food restaurant. Canadians all desire full time work, only a few going to school or whatnot want part-time.

If work were a prerequisite for high salaries our plain clothed cops wouldn't be making $100K+. It has spelled our doom for the last 40 years and will do so for the next 40 when we are dropped from the G7 (we are technically out of top 7 economies today)

No, they have to work at the speed akin to a fast food restaurant. Canadians all desire full time work, only a few going to school or whatnot want part-time.

If work were a prerequisite for high salaries our plain clothed cops wouldn't be making $100K+. It has spelled our doom for the last 40 years and will do so for the next 40 when we are dropped from the G7 (we are technically out of top 7 economies today)
Not so much in the states.
Too many of our young, brought up on TikTok, video games and sheltered from everything by the parents... school systems that want to "protect" them from anything that might "offend" them - are growing up to be spoiled, lazy entitled little bitches.
In America we have a record number of 20 somethings still living at home. A staggering 52%. Most of them.
They find the real world too much for them, so they only want to peak away from their screens as little as possible, and only as much as they have to.
Perhaps in Canada that isn't true.

Forum List

Back