Can you show me PICTURES of sea level rise?

You won't see much in the way of photos of sea level rise other than some misleading shots taken at low tide vs high tide because sea level simply hasn't risen that much since the advent of photography and the rate of rise has gone down.

Here is a photo showing where sea level used to be. The flat spot half way down is the old mean sea level.

seaLevel.jpg

An average sea level rise of only 3 or 4 mm per year is hard to see. However, the results are not. A foot higher mean sea level off of the East Coast results in the flooding of the subways in New York in a major storm like Sandy. Estuaries that used to have a mix of salt and fresh water now have more salt, with a resutant change in the ecology of those estuaries.

Sea Level Trends

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQNkVmdicvA]Obama Claiming He Can Halt the Rise of the Oceans - YouTube[/ame]

Can you show me PICTURES of sea level rise? Like one area between a earlier date and today.

I want to see this with my own eyes...This is the best way to bring a point across.

Um, yeah, the thing is, you can only see the rise when Elvis lets you take a pic from the back of a unicorn

It would be easier to prove the sea levels haven't risen at all, simply by pointing out the fact that Boston Harbor has existed since 1614 and there has been no measurable rise or fall in sea level in spite of the extreme temperature fluctuations over the last 400 years.

In other words, the bed wetters are full of shit.

Can you show me PICTURES of sea level rise? Like one area between a earlier date and today.

I want to see this with my own eyes...This is the best way to bring a point across.

I didn't find the picture but this should help.
A tidal gauge operating since before the Civil War has documented a sea level rise of 9 inches in the last century, and officials expect that to double over the next 50 years. So when building a new Stock Island fire station, county authorities went ahead added a foot and a half over federal flood planning directives that the ground floor be built up 9 feet.
Florida Keys Prepare for Sea Level Rise - ABC News

If the sea level had remained the same throughout history, we would have no submerged islands today.

The sea level has both risen and fallen. The climate has always changed. The Sahara Desert was once a woodland.

This way, 6,000-8,000 years ago, the rainfall was abundant, and in Sahara flourished the Neolithic culture which left the famous rock paintings found in Tassili n'Ajjer Mountains (above) and other areas of Sahara, depicting crocodiles, ostriches, rhinos, giraffes, buffaloes, hippopotamus and elephants, encountered today only in Africa at South of Sahara, but also oryx antelopes and gazelles. The Sahara was filled with lakes in the region of modern Niger and people hunted antelopes, while its mountains were covered by forests. Archaeologists encountered from hippopotamus and elephant bones to fishing harpoons.

Has Sahara Always Been a Desert?

The worse damage might be trying to stop natural climate change since we just don't know what the fuck we are doing when we do that.

If the sea level had remained the same throughout history, we would have no submerged islands today.

The sea level has both risen and fallen. The climate has always changed. The Sahara Desert was once a woodland.

This way, 6,000-8,000 years ago, the rainfall was abundant, and in Sahara flourished the Neolithic culture which left the famous rock paintings found in Tassili n'Ajjer Mountains (above) and other areas of Sahara, depicting crocodiles, ostriches, rhinos, giraffes, buffaloes, hippopotamus and elephants, encountered today only in Africa at South of Sahara, but also oryx antelopes and gazelles. The Sahara was filled with lakes in the region of modern Niger and people hunted antelopes, while its mountains were covered by forests. Archaeologists encountered from hippopotamus and elephant bones to fishing harpoons.

The worse damage might be trying to stop natural climate change since we just don't know what the fuck we are doing when we do that.

Obviously those cave dwellers were driving their SUV's too much and screwed up the climate.

Have you checked Mann's tree rings? He has a degree, ya know

Well, here is a map of this effect, covering both 15,000 years ago and 10,000 years ago.

sfb.history.GIF

There is absolutely no doubt that sea levels have been raising. Otherwise you would still be able to walk from Florida to Cuba.

glacMap.gif

It would be easier to prove the sea levels haven't risen at all, simply by pointing out the fact that Boston Harbor has existed since 1614 and there has been no measurable rise or fall in sea level in spite of the extreme temperature fluctuations over the last 400 years.

In other words, the bed wetters are full of shit.

The problem with that is that Boston Harbor itself is no longer natural. And it also is part of a region that is affected from the "Glaciation Bounce" (or to use the technical term "Post-Glaciation Rebound"). Most of the areas that were covered by glaciers during the ice age are still increasing in altitude because of the compression they underwent while covered in ice sheets a mile thick. This is well documented in many places.

In fact, the photo by SSDD seems to show exactly this. If the place on the rock where the sea level used to be is now higher up, that means that either sea levels have dropped (not tisen), or that the rocks themselves are rising. SSDD did not say where that rock is, but I bet it is probably in an area suffering geological deformation, or glacial rebound.

As a final consideration, mankind has had a large impact on the coastlines, especially in inhabited areas. SO much of San Francisco is built up on landfill, that most have no idea how much of the city is actually built on this fill, and what the original coastline was like. Well, other then geologists and cartographers.

1851Map.jpg

Interesting thing is, I am at work right now, kitty-corner from the location of that red dot. And across the street is the Trans-America Tower. And 160 years ago, that was the original shoreline. Where I am sitting now though is over a mile from the current shoreline, as for almost 50 years (1840-1890) this area was expanded by people sinking ships then filling them with dirt and garbage, then building on this "new land".

Well, here is a map of this effect, covering both 15,000 years ago and 10,000 years ago.

sfb.history.GIF

There is absolutely no doubt that sea levels have been raising. Otherwise you would still be able to walk from Florida to Cuba.

glacMap.gif

What do Mann's tree ring have to say about that?

What do Mann's tree ring have to say about that?

To me the biggest problem of those that scream "Global Warming" is that they almost completely ignore the true history of climate change on our planet, and do not realize taht the climate has always been changing. Sea levels rise and fall, continents move, shift, rise and fall. To me they are like the Vatican 500 years ago trying to persecute anybody that does not agree by saying that the Earth is the center of the Universe.

As much as they claim to promote science like evolution, they fail to realize that extinction is natural, as are changes in the climate. They want everything to live in this static bubble that never changes, and that is not realistic.

News flash, the climate is going to continue to grow warmer. Glaciers are going to continue to melt. The Appalachian mountains will continue to shrink, and the Cascades will continue to rise. New Orleans and Venice will continue to sink (not because of "sea level rise", but because they are built on unstable delta silt that is sinking).

This is just the nature of things on our dynamic planet, that is constantly changing. I wonder if Neanderthal looked at the melting ice sheets, the vanishing shorelines, and the thin and lightly massed Sapiens 45,000 years ago and thought they needed to cut down the number of fires they made to stop their own "Global Warming"?

Forum List

Back