Why coal is a good energy source?

Wyld Kard

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2012
Planet Crazy
10 reasons why coal is a good energy source:

1. Cheapest source of energy. It is by far cheaper than nuclear, natural gas, oil. Hydro usually will be slightly cheaper. However, problems with hydro include: no new facilities because of public outcry when river valleys are dammed; and, peak demand time problems (rivers running dry in the dead of summer when peak air conditioning is needed and rivers are frozen in the dead of winter when peak heating is needed).

2. Coal also provides a stable source of energy (no Arab oil embargoes, no sudden scarcity like you experience with natural gas) and there is a very plentiful supply both in the U.S. and in other foreign countries.

3. Coal is nothing more than ancient wood which has been under pressure for millions of years. It is not sinister as you may have been led to believe.

4. Coal provides many jobs. Unlike other forms of energy (nuclear, natural gas, oil, hydroelectric), coal provides many jobs in removing coal from the earth, transporting it to the utility, burning it, and properly disposing of coal ash.

5. Coal is American made. We do not have to import this product into this country.

6. Coal can be mined and burned with little environmental impact. There has been tremendous strides in environmental responsibility with mining coal and burning coal. However, there still is pressure of global warming. If we burn less fossil fuels, what, as a practical matter, is our energy alternative? Nuclear? Hydro? Solar (there is no practical way to provide the massive amounts of electricity needed to run our country through solar energy---it is viewed as impractical at this time)?

7. Coal mining reclamation can give the surface landowner many more options for developing his land. In the mountainous terrain, a mining process call mountaintop removal can create very valuable and useable level land for the surface owner. The surface owner not only gets his land developed, he usually is paid 50 cents a ton for the inconvenience of the use of his surface. Surface mining cannot occur without the specific consent of the surface owner. If the surface owner is lucky enough to own the coal rights, he's looking at another $2.00 a ton for royalty payments. In 1977 the federal Surface Mining Law was passed that required coal operators to reclaim the land in an equal, if not better, condition that existed prior to mining. We're doing an excellent job with our reclamation efforts. I would suggest that you go to OSM Home Page. This is the web site of the federal agency that oversees coal mining from an environmental standpoint.

8. The prudent us of coal will allow the U. S. the time needed to develop viable alternative energy sources---primarily solar technology and fuel from grain---without any negative impact on our national economy.

9. Coal provides 56% of the electricity used in the nation each day. It provides 95% of Kentucky's electricity. Electrical rates in Kentucky are the second lowest in the nation---because of coal.

10. Coal is good for Kentucky's economy. The Kentucky coal industry brought $3.1 billion into Kentucky from out-of-state during Fiscal Year 1996-97 through coal sales to customers in 29 other states and 15 foreign countries. In Kentucky, it paid over $800 million in direct wages, directly employing over 19,000 persons and indirectly providing an additional 60,000 jobs. In addition to all the normal business taxes, the coal industry in Kentucky paid an additional $160 million in severance taxes to the state.

And the sulphuric acid produced when you burn it saves you having to slash and burn forests.

dead-spruce_133_600x450.jpg

Many years ago, I used to install Aerial systems of various types.
Any antenna near a coal fire chimney would rot to nothing within a few years whereas the ones burning gas would last at least ten years; usually a lot longer.

Coal is really very dirty so the clean up and repair costs far outweigh the cheaper cost of burning the stuff.

Of course, those who want to make money from the coal industry try to keep that information away from the public.

And the sulphuric acid produced when you burn it saves you having to slash and burn forests.

I seriously doubt that you even read that article. You probaly just saw the word "coal", and thought words like "bad", "evil", "dirty".

Why don't you read #6 below?

6. Coal can be mined and burned with little environmental impact. There has been tremendous strides in environmental responsibility with mining coal and burning coal.

I seriously doubt that you even read that article. You probaly just saw the word "coal", and thought words like "bad", "evil", "dirty".

6. Coal can be mined and burned with little environmental impact. There has been tremendous strides in environmental responsibility with mining coal and burning coal.

I come from a coal mining area. Most of my family worked in the coal industry' some died from coal related disease.
Nice try but a miserable fail.

Yes, coal is very good for increasing autism and asthma, provides employment for many doctors. Hurray for coal.

And rather than invest in "clean coal" technologies, Obama chooses to throw away billions of our tax dollars on failed "green" initiatives- which in themselves pollute.

Have you ever been to a distillery such as Jack Daniels? The surrounding trees are black and denuded. And how about ethanol plants and their resultant pollutants?

Mr. R., give it up.

Any antenna near a coal fire chimney would rot to nothing within a few years whereas the ones burning gas would last at least ten years; usually a lot longer.

Coal is really very dirty so the clean up and repair costs far outweigh the cheaper cost of burning the stuff.

Of course, those who want to make money from the coal industry try to keep that information away from the public.

Yeah, we should believe testimonial evidence posted on the internet. NOT!

I live less than a couple of miles from a giant coal fired power plant. I haven't noticed any ill effects of any kind.

I come from a coal mining area. Most of my family worked in the coal industry' some died from coal related disease.
Nice try but a miserable fail.

More testimonial horseshit. Black lung disease is not an environmental impact. Furthermore, only miners who smoke get black lung disease. It's really more of a smoking disease.

You're the biggest liar in the forum. Prove those trees were killed by emissions from a coal fired power plant. I live in Florida. You see stands of dead trees all over the place. Down near Homewood there's a whole forest where the trees were stripped naked by Hurricane Andrew. Coal emissions had nothing to do with it. In Colorado there are dead trees all over the place due to insect infestations. Any lying scumbag can find a picture of dead trees on the internet and claim pollution caused it.

Yes, coal is very good for increasing autism and asthma, provides employment for many doctors. Hurray for coal.

Sorry Ray.....gotta call BS on the autism statement. That is pure speculation. There is zero evidence of a linkage. Autism is my life for the past 27 years......they still don't have a clue although there are many, many theories.

And by the way.......the autism rate stats are 100% bogus.

The whole coal discussion is really moot.........

Oh.....and there are dozens of graphs exactly like this one. The BEST projections on renewables by 2040 is 10%.....and those are few.

Coal can be mined and burned with little environmental impact.

That would be where everyone fell over laughing. Especially the part about the blessings of mountaintop removal.

Oh, it _can_ be done with little harm. It just _isn't._ Because that costs too much.

By the way, lose the plagiarism. When you copy gobs of text, always give the source.

Coal can be mined and burned with little environmental impact.

That would be where everyone fell over laughing. Especially the part about the blessings of mountaintop removal.

Oh, it _can_ be done with little harm. It just _isn't._ Because that costs too much.

By the way, lose the plagiarism. When you copy gobs of text, always give the source.

What the fuck do you think golf courses do to the environment?

Denude, scrape, and sculp. Then drink- massive volumes of aquifer.

Your kind have absolutely no perspective of the world. Nor a sense of risk/benefit analysis.

Ask that guy with the fat-ass bitch wife about golf courses. He sure spends plenty of time on them...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Q_GRUwegk&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active]Coal May Be the Energy Of the Future - YouTube[/ame]

At least you admit you lied and coal is a dirty, polluting source of energy.

There are laws regarding the sulfur content allwoed when it is burned. That is why many mines in Wes Virginia closed. They were high sulfur content mines, and the power plants did not want to install the scrubbers in the smoke stacks, so they stopped buying high sulfur coal.

At least you admit you lied and coal is a dirty, polluting source of energy.

Are you really that stupid? I didn't lie about anything. You failed once again to understand.

COAL ENERGY IS GOOD FOR AMERICA.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back