Can you say "Double Standard". Black Face!

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alabama Republican Gov. Kay Ivey has apologized for wearing blackface during a skit at Auburn University more than 50 years ago.

Ivey said Thursday she still doesn't recall the incident, but after a recording surfaced of her discussing the sketch with her then-fiancé and later first husband, Ben LaRavia, Ivey admitted it must be true.

"Even after listening to the tape, I sincerely do not recall either the skit, which evidently occurred at a Baptist Student Union party, or the interview itself, both which occurred 52 years ago. Even though Ben is the one on tape remembering the skit — and I still don't recall ever dressing up in overalls or in blackface — I will not deny what is the obvious," Ivey said. "As such, I fully acknowledge — with genuine remorse — my participation in a skit like that back when I was a senior in college."
Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey Apologizes For Wearing Blackface During College Skit
-------------------------------------------- where are these Republicans now!!

Kevin McCarthy‏Verified account @GOPLeader

VA Governor Ralph Northam’s past racist behavior caps a week where he displayed an egregious lack of respect for human dignity and the American values that we fight every day to uphold. Staying in office only poisons efforts to grow together as one nation. He should resign.

9:17 AM - 2 Feb 2019

Ronna McDaniel‏Verified account @GOPChairwoman

Democrat Gov. Ralph Northam’s past: 1981: You had a racist nickname in your college yearbook. 1984: Pictures appear in your medical school yearbook of you in either blackface or a KKK robe. 2013: After a debate, you refuse to shake your African American opponent’s hand.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I must say more Democrats said Ralph Northam should step down, and I'm sure they have the same opinion but

I do wonder if the same Republicans that wanted Northam to step down want Gov. Kay Ivey to step down. I doubt it.

Wow....50 years ago...
That's important. *yawn*

EDPVWjXWsAAKf--

So either they both get forgiven for apologizing or they should both resign.

Pick one!

Alabama Republican Gov. Kay Ivey has apologized for wearing blackface during a skit at Auburn University more than 50 years ago.

Ivey said Thursday she still doesn't recall the incident, but after a recording surfaced of her discussing the sketch with her then-fiancé and later first husband, Ben LaRavia, Ivey admitted it must be true.

"Even after listening to the tape, I sincerely do not recall either the skit, which evidently occurred at a Baptist Student Union party, or the interview itself, both which occurred 52 years ago. Even though Ben is the one on tape remembering the skit — and I still don't recall ever dressing up in overalls or in blackface — I will not deny what is the obvious," Ivey said. "As such, I fully acknowledge — with genuine remorse — my participation in a skit like that back when I was a senior in college."

VA Governor Ralph Northam’s past racist behavior caps a week where he displayed an egregious lack of respect for human dignity and the American values that we fight every day to uphold. Staying in office only poisons efforts to grow together as one nation. He should resign.

Democrat Gov. Ralph Northam’s past: 1981: You had a racist nickname in your college yearbook. 1984: Pictures appear in your medical school yearbook of you in either blackface or a KKK robe. 2013: After a debate, you refuse to shake your African American opponent’s hand.

I must say more Democrats said Ralph Northam should step down, and I'm sure they have the same opinion but

I do wonder if the same Republicans that wanted Northam to step down want Gov. Kay Ivey to step down. I doubt it.
]
I am still waiting for the " I believe her' left wing dem crowd that wanted Kavanaugh's head to react to the accusations against Justin Fairfax. Still quiet about that.

We’re really getting into crazy town here. How far back do we punish people for behavior that was mainstream at the time?

What could come back to haunt you?

At first I was like... Are you fucking kidding me....

But then I remembered this is a Pinheadlope thread, so there is no depth of stupidity low enough. You could literally punch through the entire earth and send the bar into orbit above China and Pinheadlope's ignorance will go further out to space in the next thread.

The Govenor get a pass because she is a Lesi....Or did not not know that.

The point republicans were making about your governor was the double standard you guys have.

Barring some of the more cuck moderates, we don't give a fuck about "black face", so it is not hypocritical of us to support Northam's staying in office.

Who gives a crap? My gosh if a black person did white face, should his career be gone? My best friend dressed up as a Rastafarian for Halloween one year. It took me about five minutes to recogniz him, and yes people of color thought it was funny also. But we don't get butt hurt over stupid crap either.

You Leftards set the standard with Kavanaugh, enjoy the climate.

I want to know if the 2 republicans will step up and say she should step down like they did with the Democratic governor, and if someone like Kavanaugh is put on the Supreme Court , it does not make him NOT QUILTY of ATTEMPTED RAPE.

She shoud just claim she identifies as a black woman, and be done with it.

Will the same 2 republican's ask her to step down? By the way its common that the same congressmen from the Democratic party will also ask her to step down as they did with the Democratic gov.

I want to know if the 2 republicans will step up and say she should step down like they did with the Democratic governor, and if someone like Kavanaugh is put on the Supreme Court , it does not make him NOT QUILTY of ATTEMPTED RAPE.
You Leftards made the bed, hypocrite.

In liberal Alabama of the 1960's, black people weren't allowed to attend skits at Honky colleges.

So no one was there to be offended.

We’re really getting into crazy town here. How far back do we punish people for behavior that was mainstream at the time?

What could come back to haunt you?

Everything according to Democrat and Republican congressmen, but seems the Republicans are partisan.

In liberal Alabama of the 1960's, black people weren't allowed to attend skits at Honky colleges.

So no one was there to be offended.

I'm sure some are offended now that it came to light.

One big difference is Ivey apologized acknowledged the incident even though she didn't remember it, which is quit different then Northam who denied having wore blackface and later acknowledged dressing up as Michael Jackson and offering to moonwalk for the press...neither incident shouldn't be an issue now.

Northam should step down because it's his party making a big deal out of events that happened more than 20 years ago. Gov. Kay Ivey is with a party that is more reasonable and understands we don't judge people based on something they did that was legal and happened 50 years ago. Pretty sure Gov. Kay Ivey wouldn't do it today.

Forum List

Back