Zone1 Can the US Survive an EMP Strike?

I was making a simple comparison on how to deliver a low yield nuke. You are incorrect on the ability of a low yield device being incapable of an EMP strong enough to cause severe damage. Many things have changed over the years and the ability to amplify an EMP pulse or direct its energy, is easily done.

I won't fight about the physics of it. It's safe to say we could deploy one of these devices on a drone and you would never know what took your grid out. You do not have to take out the whole continent, all you have to do is start the chain reaction. The magnetic pulse will do the rest as it propagates.

We war gamed this type of scenario over 40 years ago. Back then we didn't have the miniaturization and shielding tech we do today. Just adding in how much our abilities have changed and how small a 5kt device is, if it were not for the radiation signature giving its position away it could very easily be placed on any aircraft, military or commercial and you would never know what happened.

The shielding necessary to hide this is the problem with its miniaturized size now. You can dismiss it if you like. I don't really care. Do you think Putin and Russia have made these same leaps and bounds in tech? I do. They figured out how to make hypersonic missiles capable of nuclear device delivery.
What drone is capable of flying 25-40 km in space, above the United States? That's how high you have to be and have a yield of 1-10 MT in order to produce an EMP that would cover the US.

I am sorry but your wargaming was based on ignorance.

What drone is capable of flying 25-40 km in space, above the United States? That's how high you have to be and have a yield of 1-10 MT in order to produce an EMP that would cover the US.

I am sorry but your wargaming was based on ignorance.

Well...................considering that the US military knocked out parts of the power grid in Hawaii when they did a test with a 1.45 megaton bomb (a small one by today's standards), as well as they did the test over 1,000 miles away, a nuke exploded over the middle part of America would do some severe damage. And, unfortunately, they have found that it could be done by several countries we don't think has the ability (yet).

Here's some light reading on EMP's, what testing has been done, as well as the effects, as well as projections of who could feasibly use something like that today.

Yanno....................until this thread, I didn't really think much about it, but, started to do a bit of research, and yeah, the damage a possible EMP attack could do is scary, and it doesn't necessarily need to be Russia or China doing it. N. Korea, as well as certain terrorist groups have been looked at, and it's feasible they could also do one.

Well...................considering that the US military knocked out parts of the power grid in Hawaii when they did a test with a 1.45 megaton bomb (a small one by today's standards), as well as they did the test over 1,000 miles away, a nuke exploded over the middle part of America would do some severe damage. And, unfortunately, they have found that it could be done by several countries we don't think has the ability (yet).

Here's some light reading on EMP's, what testing has been done, as well as the effects, as well as projections of who could feasibly use something like that today.

Yanno....................until this thread, I didn't really think much about it, but, started to do a bit of research, and yeah, the damage a possible EMP attack could do is scary, and it doesn't necessarily need to be Russia or China doing it. N. Korea, as well as certain terrorist groups have been looked at, and it's feasible they could also do one.
Yanno, I was a nuclear weapons officer and have forgotten more bout EMP than anyone else on this forum knows. Yes, they are scary, but employing one is extremely difficult and unlikely to avoid detection.

1.45 MT is not small, thank you. The M stands for mega. The electrical grid that was knocked out were streetlights that were blown.

How many countries could detonate a 1 MT device in space at a minimum of 25 miles in altitude over the central US? I can think of 2 besides us. If they tried, it would be WWIII.

Each transformer would have to be able to "disconnect" and shunt all poles to ground in milliseconds in order to prevent overload and their destruction. Transmission lines would have to do the same at equal distances to prevent the current becoming so great the line melts

That might be done by having local sensors or detectors scattered about the grid and in space that as soon as an over-voltage / over-current condition of the magnitude an EMP would create is detected, it uplinks that alert by satellite or perhaps SS7 token ring or even independent local systems to grounding relays distributed about the grid to immediately clamp to the lines and shunt all energy to ground. It might not be fast enough to stop it all, but maybe it could interrupt the grid within a given area fast enough to limit the damage to the most vital parts.

Last edited:
. . . and have forgotten more bout EMP than anyone else on this forum knows.

Gee, I've heard THAT story before! Heard it from you first about teaching, never proven, heard it about math, never proven, heard it about electronics, never proven, heard it about linguistics, never proven, now you are one of the worlds top experts on nuclear bombs as well! :bow3:

They figured out how to make hypersonic missiles capable of nuclear device delivery.

You have actual proof the Russians have hypersonic missiles capable of carrying nuclear weapons? And not just bragging by the Russians.

How? Remember the U.S. hasn't even tested any nuclear weapons in THIRTY YEARS.

Well, there's harnessing plasma for commercial uses, and the work being done on quantum computers. The laws governing those things have always been around, but it's taken awhile for us to understand them enough to actually harness them.

Well, there's harnessing plasma for commercial uses, and the work being done on quantum computers. The laws governing those things have always been around, but it's taken awhile for us to understand them enough to actually harness them.
quantum computers are a technical dead end (though an appealing one).

quantum computers are a technical dead end (though an appealing one).

Well, like I said, the laws of physics have been around since the beginning of the universe, and we are just now starting to figure out how to harness some of them. I mean..................back when I was growing up, being able to talk to someone in a distant place just using your wristwatch sounded like the stuff of fantasy and science fiction. But here we are today with smartwatches. And, having a device in your pocket that could translate language, allow you to see the person you're talking to thousands of miles away, while talking to them in real time, a full library that contains damn near everything that mankind has done since civilization has begun, as well as being able to access damn near every song on the planet are just a few of the things your smart phone can do. Just 40 years ago, the things that an Android or IPhone can do now were also considered science fiction.

But, as a famous science fiction writer once said "we don't write about things that will never happen, we write about things that haven't happened YET".

So it is your contention we do not have high altitude drones capable of payload?

Well, 25 km would be about 79,000 feet and our military admits to the RQ-4 Global Hawk as having a service ceiling of 60,000 feet able to carry 3000 pounds, so it isn't out of the question they have a drone able to reach 25 km that they aren't talking about.

Name a drone that can fly 25 nm above the Earth's surface. That's space you know,

Actually, that is NOT space. 25 km up is about the middle of the stratosphere, just above the weather; weather balloons go that high.

The X-15 flew at about 120km.

I wouldn't say "space" begins until at least the mesosphere, about 80km up.

Well, 25 km would be about 79,000 feet and our military admits to the RQ-4 Global Hawk as having a service ceiling of 60,000 feet able to carry 3000 pounds, so it isn't out of the question they have a drone able to reach 25 km that they aren't talking about.
The technology has advanced. We have drones capable of much higher altitudes. A 5kt device is all you need to trigger an EMP. You do not need a bigger device, although a bigger device can destroy a larger area of infrastructure. A cascade failure today would render at least half of the US power grid useless.

In the 1980's we used a fraction of that output and destroyed phone system over 200 miles away and it was just 30' off the ground. Testing military vehicles for functionality after an EMP was interesting. Back then we were just starting to see fuel injection and computer control. It wiped them out. Just getting up in altitude is the key.

We are far more vulnerable than most people know.

The technology has advanced. We have drones capable of much higher altitudes. A 5kt device is all you need to trigger an EMP. You do not need a bigger device, although a bigger device can destroy a larger area of infrastructure. A cascade failure today would render at least half of the US power grid useless.

In the 1980's we used a fraction of that output and destroyed phone system over 200 miles away and it was just 30' off the ground. Testing military vehicles for functionality after an EMP was interesting. Back then we were just starting to see fuel injection and computer control. It wiped them out. Just getting up in altitude is the key.

We are far more vulnerable than most people know.

Wrong! It takes a minimum of a 1 MT device. You are simply making shit up that is not true.

Forum List

Back