Can Species Really Be Brought Back From Extinction?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I was watching this documentary about frogs and first of all although I've always liked frogs and at first I thought that it was pretty sad that they're all dying, (which it is) I had absolutely no idea that they were such an important part of the ecosystem. Anyways, at one part of this documentary it was talking about bringing back a frog species from extinction. I thought if an animal was extinct it meant that they were gone for good no matter what and endangered meant that they're dying out but there's still a chance at saving them.

Extinct usually means there aren't enough of the species left to create a new population of said species. Which means they will die out as soon as the current generations have died.

Unless they are talking about ancient animals. Which are still extinct, but not the same as current living creatures that will die out soon.

Extinction can be reversed in many ways.
Some of which include, but are not limited to:

Creating harsh laws for the protection of said species, and then allowing them to repopulate on their own after several decades.

Cloning or artificially helping said species to repopulate.

DNA cloning, where fossilized/protected cells are able to be regenerated into a living organism.

I was watching this documentary about frogs and first of all although I've always liked frogs and at first I thought that it was pretty sad that they're all dying, (which it is) I had absolutely no idea that they were such an important part of the ecosystem. Anyways, at one part of this documentary it was talking about bringing back a frog species from extinction. I thought if an animal was extinct it meant that they were gone for good no matter what and endangered meant that they're dying out but there's still a chance at saving them.

Amphibians are extremely sensitive to their environment. The comet or asteroid that killed the dinosaurs didn't kill the frogs so I seriously doubt the predicted 1 degree temperature rise in the next century will do the job .Regardless 99% percent of all species that have ever existed have gone extinct it is the way it is.

Extinct usually means there aren't enough of the species left to create a new population of said species. Which means they will die out as soon as the current generations have died.

I repeat, I thought that was when a species was endangered,.. not extinct.

Amphibians are extremely sensitive to their environment. The comet or asteroid that killed the dinosaurs didn't kill the frogs so I seriously doubt the predicted 1 degree temperature rise in the next century will do the job .Regardless 99% percent of all species that have ever existed have gone extinct it is the way it is.

Yeah, I wonder how the frogs survived when the dinosaurs didn't.

anything can be accomplished in a lab.....even the death jabs for the chinese flu

I will agree to disagree with you on the second part, but I can agree with you on the first.

Shouldn't imagine there's a word of truth in it. Clickbait documentaries. Remember when we were all going to die because of bee disease? That was years ago; nobody and nothing died.

Shouldn't imagine there's a word of truth in it. Clickbait documentaries. Remember when we were all going to die because of bee disease? That was years ago; nobody and nothing died.

Hmm,.. that's interesting. I never heard of that. I was going to mention something about this on a spiritual level,.. BUT I figured that since this is the science section I would be respectful to all those who didn't have those beliefs since I expect the same in the religion section of the message board for my beliefs. :)

RE: Can Species Really Be Brought Back From Extinction?
SUBTOPIC: Regeneration of Species
※→ et al

It seems to me that the opposing view is concerned about the risk in cloning animals that are in the human food chain. And the FDA Risk Assessment (2008) demonstrates the FDA approach to that.

But the FDA Chain Risk is an entirely different question from restoring the Recently Extinct Animals (2021).

I wish they could bring back the Tasmanian Wolf.
(COMMENT)

This should be a legitimate line of Inquiry. And the techniques for species regeneration should be under examination. The FDA should have the sample repository for each animal, DNA, starting with the Food Chain Animal most likely to be extinct in the next decade.

This is something that our leaders in Washington should be funding our Universities.

I agree with our friend "night_son" that this is a project that needs to be initiated on a massive scale.

I would not mind if they began with the Bengal and Bali Tigers → And yes, we should also include the Tasmanian Tiger. But I fear, we play hell finding a DNA sampler from a tiger species that has been gone for nearly a century.

And as we restore the populations such as these, we have to allow their food prey to come alive in Nature Preserves.

Just my two drachmas worth;

1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

I would not mind if they began with the Bengal and Bali Tigers → And yes, we should also include the Tasmanian Tiger. But I fear, we play hell finding a DNA sampler from a tiger species that has been gone for nearly a century.

And as we restore the populations such as these, we have to allow their food prey to come alive in Nature Preserves.

And it is much more involved than that.

Most animals went extinct for a reason. Most commonly because their habitat changed away from what it had been and the animals just could not adapt. That for example is what let North America a herbivore's paradise after the large predators went extinct. Including the North American cheetah, lion, sabre tooth cat, dire wolf, and all the rest which left most of an entire continent amazingly "predator free".

Because the prey animals since that time have also evolved. And for most of these animals, we are not positive why they became extinct in the first place. And one reason might have been that in the evolutionary war of prey-predator their food simply found something they could not adapt to.

Forum List

Back