Atlantic Contributor Wants Taxpayers to Save Media from ‘Extinction Level Event’

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Well, bye.

But I'm sure Democrats will attempt some bill and then load it up with money for these dying far left media outlets.

Stay vigilant folks.

The far-left Atlantic’s Paul Farhi is calling on taxpayers to save the corporate media from an “extinction-level event.”

Farhi was once the left-wing media reporter for the disgraced Washington Post. During a recent round of layoffs at the failing Post, Farhi accepted a buyout. Now he believes that the same people the corporate media insult, demean, and misinform (you and I) should bail out this fascist institution:

The outlook for 2024 seems especially cloudy to Sewell Chan, the editor in chief of The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit publication that has been held up as a sustainable news-business model. Chan told me that the past year has been as gloomy for the news industry as 2008–09, the start of the Great Recession, when a number of titles went under. “I fear 2023–24 could be another extinction-level event,” he said.

Chan ticked off a handful of ominous trends: slow-growing ad budgets; rising inflation, which has stymied subscription growth; and a shortage of engineering and newsroom-tech talent that has crimped innovation. Chan suspects that audiences are experiencing subscription overload—too many streaming services, Substack newsletters, and digital publications chasing not enough would-be customers. Then there’s the decline in public trust in news media, a long-running phenomenon on the right that has recently become more bipartisan. An October Gallup poll showed a decline of 18 percent in media “trust” among Democrats and 13 percent among independents over the previous year. Chan also suggested that the media is turning off potential readers by being too relentlessly negative.

That makes some sense to me, but then we come closer, to the moral of the story…

The news industry has been in steady decline for two decades. Expecting some kind of free-market-based turnaround is lunacy. If journalism is essential for preserving democratic self-government, perhaps only democratic self-government can preserve journalism.

In other words, the taxpayers should now prop up a rotting and corrupt institution that hates us. You’ll note that Farhi doesn’t want the media to change, or to improve, or to become something Americans might find valuable, useful, honest, and worthy of a subscription. No, he wants a taxpayer bailout, so the liars responsible for this…

Russia Collusion Hoax
Hands Up, Don’t Shoot Hoax
Jussie Smollett Hoax
Covington KKKids Hoax
Very Fine People Hoax
Seven-Hour Gap Hoax
Russian Bounties Hoax
Trump Trashes Troops Hoax
Policemen Killed at Mostly Peaceful January 6 Protest Hoax
Rittenhouse Hoax
Eating While Black Hoax
Border Agents Whipping Illegals Hoax
NASCAR Noose Hoax
The Georgia Jim Crow 2.0 Hoax
Trump Assaulted Secret Service Agents and Grabbed Steering Wheel of Beast Hoax
MAGA Assaulted Paul Pelosi Hoax
COVID Lab Leak Theory Is Racist Hoax
Hunter Biden’s Laptop Is Russian Disinformation Hoax
Joe Biden Will Never Ban Gas Stoves Hoax
COVID Deaths Are Over-Counted Is a Conspiracy Theory Hoax
Mass Graves of Native Children in Canada Hoax
The Trump Killed All the Fish Hoax
Hamas Hospital Hoax
John Fetterman Is Healthy Hoax
If Reelected, Trump Will Execute People Hoax
The Alfa Bank Hoax

…can continue to go right on doing it.

You see, liars cannot survive in a free market. The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Conde Nast, Sports Illustrated, Gawker, Jezebel, BuzzFeed News, Vice, and CNN are all shuttered or shrinking for only one reason — in a free country, there’s no market for their lies and propaganda, for their superior snark and cultural bigotry.

When the internet made it possible for people without millions of dollars to compete against the corporate media, the media had two choices: they could either clean up their act, tell the truth, and have a chance at survival — or — they could do what they did: become even more rabidly and shamelessly dishonest to protect the Democrat party.

Well, bye.

But I'm sure Democrats will attempt some bill and then load it up with money for these dying far left media outlets.

Stay vigilant folks.

The far-left Atlantic’s Paul Farhi is calling on taxpayers to save the corporate media from an “extinction-level event.”
Farhi was once the left-wing media reporter for the disgraced Washington Post. During a recent round of layoffs at the failing Post, Farhi accepted a buyout. Now he believes that the same people the corporate media insult, demean, and misinform (you and I) should bail out this fascist institution:
The outlook for 2024 seems especially cloudy to Sewell Chan, the editor in chief of The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit publication that has been held up as a sustainable news-business model. Chan told me that the past year has been as gloomy for the news industry as 2008–09, the start of the Great Recession, when a number of titles went under. “I fear 2023–24 could be another extinction-level event,” he said.
Chan ticked off a handful of ominous trends: slow-growing ad budgets; rising inflation, which has stymied subscription growth; and a shortage of engineering and newsroom-tech talent that has crimped innovation. Chan suspects that audiences are experiencing subscription overload—too many streaming services, Substack newsletters, and digital publications chasing not enough would-be customers. Then there’s the decline in public trust in news media, a long-running phenomenon on the right that has recently become more bipartisan. An October Gallup poll showed a decline of 18 percent in media “trust” among Democrats and 13 percent among independents over the previous year. Chan also suggested that the media is turning off potential readers by being too relentlessly negative.
That makes some sense to me, but then we come closer, to the moral of the story…
The news industry has been in steady decline for two decades. Expecting some kind of free-market-based turnaround is lunacy. If journalism is essential for preserving democratic self-government, perhaps only democratic self-government can preserve journalism.
In other words, the taxpayers should now prop up a rotting and corrupt institution that hates us. You’ll note that Farhi doesn’t want the media to change, or to improve, or to become something Americans might find valuable, useful, honest, and worthy of a subscription. No, he wants a taxpayer bailout, so the liars responsible for this…
Russia Collusion Hoax
Jussie Smollett Hoax
Covington KKKids Hoax
Very Fine People Hoax
Seven-Hour Gap Hoax
Russian Bounties Hoax
Rittenhouse Hoax
Eating While Black Hoax
NASCAR Noose Hoax
Hamas Hospital Hoax
The Alfa Bank Hoax
You see, liars cannot survive in a free market. The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, Conde Nast, Sports Illustrated, Gawker, Jezebel, BuzzFeed News, Vice, and CNN are all shuttered or shrinking for only one reason — in a free country, there’s no market for their lies and propaganda, for their superior snark and cultural bigotry.
When the internet made it possible for people without millions of dollars to compete against the corporate media, the media had two choices: they could either clean up their act, tell the truth, and have a chance at survival — or — they could do what they did: become even more rabidly and shamelessly dishonest to protect the Democrat party.

Funny, I never got to the part of what he wanted government to do.

Funny, I never got to the part of what he wanted government to do.

Gee, what do you think the following comment means exactly? :rolleyes:

To unspecific. My experience is, if you ask for nothing or are not specific, you get nothing. It struck me as rambling, trying to fill 500 words.

To unspecific. My experience is, if you ask for nothing or are not specific, you get nothing. It struck me as rambling, trying to fill 500 words.

So you admit that you don't know what he was saying, good for you.

Good. I think no information is better than false information. They have signed their own death warrants. The Gannetts, Hearsts, McClatchys and Cowells of the newspaper world can all go broke with my blessing--they earned it.

If media outlets can't keep themselves above water then I guess that means that they are simply not valuable enough anymore.

So you admit that you don't know what he was saying, good for you.
Cute. Ignore the filler piece. It was meaningless, but of course it was Breitbart, so it was typical.

Cute. Ignore the filler piece. It was meaningless, but of course it was Breitbart, so it was typical.

Yeah, keep putting down and fighting the right, all while you boast about not being affected by left wing policies because you live in a red state. You're a completely confused individual. :dunno:

Yeah, keep putting down and fighting the right, all while you boast about not being affected by left wing policies because you live in a red state. You're a completely confused individual. :dunno:
I simply put down the Far Right along with the Far Left, as it is the conservative thing to do.

I simply put down the Far Right along with the Far Left, as it is the conservative thing to do.

:laughing0301: You never put down the 'far left', you agree with and defend them here on a daily basis...

Anything 'right of center' is far right to you. Like I said, you're a very confused person, seek help.

1706820337985.png

Well, bye.

Stay vigilant folks.

Russia Collusion Hoax
Jussie Smollett Hoax
Covington KKKids Hoax
Very Fine People Hoax
Seven-Hour Gap Hoax
Russian Bounties Hoax
Rittenhouse Hoax
Eating While Black Hoax
NASCAR Noose Hoax
Hamas Hospital Hoax
The Alfa Bank Hoax

:no_text11:

Well, bye.

Stay vigilant folks.

Russia Collusion Hoax
Jussie Smollett Hoax
Covington KKKids Hoax
Very Fine People Hoax
Seven-Hour Gap Hoax
Russian Bounties Hoax
Rittenhouse Hoax
Eating While Black Hoax
NASCAR Noose Hoax
Hamas Hospital Hoax
The Alfa Bank Hoax

Why worry now? Nobody believes the press anymore due to weaponizing politics for their favorites, and not for voter majorities, either. :(

The democrat knows this. He is gaslighting Americans. He is acting like they never heard of such ideas. This is just like the gas stove bans. Democrats acted like it was a conspiracy till a week later when they all suddenly supported it.

Assume a democrat is evil before you Assume it is stupid.

Taxpayers should bailout Jeff Bezos? I don't think so.

Maybe if the MSM stopped catering to only one side of the political spectrum they would be a little more resilient...
The only way the WEF propaganda machine can operate in America is if Americans pay for it. Just like NPR.

Forum List

Back