can someone prove that god exists?

not being brought up with religion, I have a hard time believing in the stuff. however I spoke to my brother a couple of days ago and he tells me that he believes because too many bad things happened in his past that if some supernatural being didn't have any input he would have been dead a hundred times over. now he sounds like one of those born again christians. he still curses and stuff but he's a christian! so does anyone have any hard evidence that god exist? don't tell me it's faith. I can have faith everytime I purchase a lotto ticket. but that isn't going to guarantee me winning.

No. God can be neither proved, nor disproved.

God has been proven to me.

get a 3rd grade education

Of course everything good or beautiful is gods work and everything bad is the work of satan.

couldn't have summed up the thoughts of people 2000 years ago myself, luckily intelligence and reasoning has taken over since then

So it is faith to not believe that there are people living inside the earth walking upside down?
Some actually believe this.

Technically, anything you cannot prove is a faith.

It is? I thought faith was the other way around belileving in something that could not be proven.

So anything we cannot prove takes faith?

As I understand "faith" yes., If it cannot be proven, your belief requires faith.

Why not?

So, because no one has yet proved, or disproved, something, that proves that proof does not exist. We can shut down all the universities now, science has gone as far as is possible. We will never have proof for the theory of gravity, abigenesis, or any of the other mysteries that we still have to understand.

Of course everything good or beautiful is gods work and everything bad is the work of satan.

couldn't have summed up the thoughts of people 2000 years ago myself, luckily intelligence and reasoning has taken over since then

Not where much of religion is concerned. although liberals seem to share the blame with the devil for that last few decades.

I have literally heard/seen preachers equating liberals to satan from the pulpit.

So, because no one has yet proved, or disproved, something, that proves that proof does not exist. We can shut down all the universities now, science has gone as far as is possible. We will never have proof for the theory of gravity, abigenesis, or any of the other mysteries that we still have to understand.

again showing why you should retry grammar school science

Not where much of religion is concerned. although liberals seem to share the blame with the devil for that last few decades.

I have literally heard/seen preachers equating liberals to satan from the pulpit.

yep, from the same crowd that says reverend wright was radical lol

That's a 2-way street. Depends on the congregation, and the preacher. I've seen exactly the opposite as well. Just depends on the church.

In general, I'm not fond of preachers. I believe 95% of them have tickets on the A-Train to Hell :)

not being brought up with religion, I have a hard time believing in the stuff. however I spoke to my brother a couple of days ago and he tells me that he believes because too many bad things happened in his past that if some supernatural being didn't have any input he would have been dead a hundred times over. now he sounds like one of those born again christians. he still curses and stuff but he's a christian! so does anyone have any hard evidence that god exist? don't tell me it's faith. I can have faith everytime I purchase a lotto ticket. but that isn't going to guarantee me winning.

Why not?

I think we've been here before QW :)

I'll give the same answer now I gave then (assuming I'm right that you have asked this before and I responded) : God's existence cannot be proven because god has not been properly defined. People have various definitions for god, most of them very vague (because it is generally a concept beyond human comprehension), so unless god is given a definition that allows for proof, here we are.

Perhaps one day that will change and we will be able to prove the existence of god(s) (or perhaps it will be proven to us). Disproving the existence of god(s), as tends to be the case when attempting to prove a negative, is a much less likely proposition.

there is a book called 'the probability of god' which dictates i believe that there is a 67% mathematical probability that 'god' does exist. modern science dictates that in order for the universe to exist at all the strengths/weaknesses of the natural forces (electromagnetic, nuclear, gravity...) are so extremely finely tuned that on the scale of i believe the width of a galaxy or universe (i forget which) if the strength of gravity was moved an inch in either direction the universe would fall apart. that info in itself is somewhat compelling for me to believe a possibility of an intelligent designer.

Forum List

Back