Can someone educate MTG on the process of swearing in a new politician?

The oath is not based on what one places their hand.

Do you need a Bible to swear in?

An oath is a verbal promise to tell the truth. Oaths are frequently made while holding the Bible, the New Testament or the Old Testament. Witnesses may choose to swear an oath on another relevant religious text. It is not necessary that a religious text be used in taking an oath
Why does one do it then if it means nothing? I mean, dude your lack of loyalty is truly amazing.

Why do the Islamic folks care so much?

Post a link

I realized you might still want a link.

"

Article VI​

Article VI Explained

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Then it is implied. Just like we have no law saying our national language is English, but it is. Any official choosing to swear in using the Koran should have it slapped out of their hands, taken out and shot between the eyes.

Our failure to do so and on a hundred other fronts is why America is collapsing and falling apart. Instead of small problems needing tiny corrections, we are now faced with legions of monumental, insurmountable problems of titanic burden.

So much for feel-good liberalism.

Funny that a country who devotes more pages to regulations and rules than anything else hasn't found the resolve to make it a law what we swear our own elected leaders to.

There is no law saying what must be used to swear your oath of office.

But Article VI of the US Constitution forbids any religious test as a qualification for hold office. I posted Article VI in response to another post. I even highlighted the relevant portion.

I realized you might still want a link.

"

Article VI​

Article VI Explained

All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."
Doesn’t say anything about the oath of office

Doesn’t say anything about the oath of office

The last paragraph does. And I even highlighted it for you.

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

The last paragraph does. And I even highlighted it for you.

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."
Nothing about oath of office

So you don't consider requiring someone place their hand on a Bible to be a religious test?
Nope. It contradicts what is there. Wouldn’t need a bible if that’s what it meant! Oops try again, oops try again

I can only lead you to the answers. I can't make you understand them.

But MGT said that our laws require using the Bible. Does it say that? Or is there any law requiring the use of a Bible when swearing the oath or office?

She thinks you cannot take the oath of office using a Quran. Can someone tell her that there is no requirement to use the Bible?

Thomas Jefferson used the Quran, as have many other elected officials.

1. Why is anyone listening to anything she says?

2. Do you have a link saying Jefferson was sworn in using a Quran? I know he owned one but cant find anything saying he was sworn into a public office using one.

Then it is implied. Just like we have no law saying our national language is English, but it is. Any official choosing to swear in using the Koran should have it slapped out of their hands, taken out and shot between the eyes.

Our failure to do so and on a hundred other fronts is why America is collapsing and falling apart. Instead of small problems needing tiny corrections, we are now faced with legions of monumental, insurmountable problems of titanic burden.

So much for feel-good liberalism.

Funny that a country who devotes more pages to regulations and rules than anything else hasn't found the resolve to make it a law what we swear our own elected leaders to.
It is called religious freedom.

I can only lead you to the answers. I can't make you understand them.

But MGT said that our laws require using the Bible. Does it say that? Or is there any law requiring the use of a Bible when swearing the oath or office?
I’m waiting for wlink that proves her wrong

There is no law saying what must be used to swear your oath of office.
Probably because the Founders took it as such COMMON SENSE, like the Sun rising in the East, that they never dreamed having to DEFINE it.

But Article VI of the US Constitution forbids any religious test as a qualification for hold office.
That is only to assure freedom from the government defining YOUR religion, not elected members from swearing allegiance to a foreign enemy. Something maybe MTG can fix for us.

I posted Article VI in response to another post. I even highlighted the relevant portion.
You could put lipstick on a pig, but it would still just be as smelly swine.

Forum List

Back