Can Congress change requirements for office?

ANother question : What happens if a presidential candidate refuses to file financial disclosures?
Probably the same thing that would happen if a candidate didn’t file their paperwork in time. They wouldn’t be put on the ballot

I ask because of this
Senate Democrats make democracy reform first bill of new majority (msn.com)
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
That would require a constitutional amendment.
Wrong answer.

Democrats have a clause in the constitution written in invisible ink that grants the the authority to change rules/laws & the Constitution itself on the fly.

I thought this was common knowledge after Obamacare was shoved down our throats

I ask because of this
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
Funny how the Dimwingers in Congress exclude themselves in their unConstitutional scheme to require disclosure of tax returns.

I ask because of this
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
The Constitution does not give Congress the power to determine the qualifications for President, so it doesn't have that power. Simple, really.
I never said congress has the power to determine who is qualified to run. They can regulate the process though and of background checks and financial disclosures are part of the process then that’s totally within their power to manage
It's like everday is groundhog day for them. Amazing.
Section 5: Powers and Duties of Congress
Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members,and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.
Explain to me how that is relevant to presidential eligibility.
Ben is old. He knows not what he copy/pastes.
Well, your op raised congress and the exec. But yes, Congress does mandate financial disclosures for exec candidates. There's nothing saying they can't require more stringent disclosures. They cannot change age residency and citizenship

I ask because of this
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
The Constitution does not give Congress the power to determine the qualifications for President, so it doesn't have that power. Simple, really.
I never said congress has the power to determine who is qualified to run. They can regulate the process though and of background checks and financial disclosures are part of the process then that’s totally within their power to manage
What's the purpose of the background checks and financial disclosures?
To assess risk and provide transparency about the candidate
So, adding an eligibility requirement?

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

You want to change it? AMEND!!!

No more of this obtuse nonsense:

4347491664-5528314fe0-z.jpg

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!
That’s not what I said or what it is. It’s part of the process that a constitutionally eligible candidate undertakes to run
CANNOT be a bar to eligibility.

It is not impossible to amend the eligibility requirements to require "financial disclosures in a manner prescribed by Congress."

The question is why are so many people so quick to ignore the plain language of the Constitution when the amendment process has been available since the beginning?

Because it's too hard?

TOUGH SHIT! THAT'S THE POINT!!!

The main body of the Constitution has the requirements and election process of the President. Changes were made in the 12 Amendment for the Electoral College Process. Another Amendment was made limiting to 2 terms. The methods of voter registration, voting law, etc was up to the States according to the Bill of Rights. This was changed in a few Amendments, such as allowing former slaves to vote, allowing women to vote, allowing those 18 years old to vote. Efforts to nchange the requirements to be President and the mothod of selection or restricting the States in making voter laws will require a Constitution Amendment.

I ask because of this
Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members,and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.
Well, your op raised congress and the exec. But yes, Congress does mandate financial disclosures for exec candidates. There's nothing saying they can't require more stringent disclosures. They cannot change age residency and citizenship
Look at that language again, Ben:

Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

Not the executive.

The Senate cannot be the judge of elections, returns, and qualifications for the House. Certainly not the president.

Everyday does not begin a blank slate despite what you people apparently believe

There's no prohibition on mandating financial disclosure that would be private if not running for office

I ask because of this
My op wasnt about congress, except for them changing the requirements.
You are very confused.

Everyday does not begin a blank slate despite what you people apparently believe

There's no prohibition on mandating financial disclosure that would be private if not running for office
Yes, there is. The Constitution spells out the requirements. Financial disclosure isn't in the Constutition.

I ask because of this
See, instead of preserving the original and amending when necessary, you see how much you can get away with.

That's the attitude and approach we all need to eradicate.

The requirements for president are 3: Natural-Born U.S. Citizen, aged 35 years, resident for 14 years.

Simply by listing the requirements, it is or should be presumed that the framers only intended those three requirements and nothing more.

If you want more requirements, amend and add to them.

I ask because of this
Where does the Constitution say that? Congress can regulate Congressional elections, and nothing else.

I ask because of this

I don't think they can change the Constitution without an amendment....Not sure, but that is what I learned in Civics....

I ask because of this

I don't think they can change the Constitution without an amendment....Not sure, but that is what I learned in Civics....
They have been doing it for generations

Forum List

Back