Can Congress change requirements for office?

I ask because of this
Senate Democrats make democracy reform first bill of new majority (msn.com)
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
YOur link says the bill cannot be passed
Having votes is not the issue.
Yeah it is. Unless you want to be Rosa Rosa Dana.

But as was pointed out neither you, nor your link, specifies what "requirements for office" would be changed
You are telling me my own issue, dumbfuck?
The link says the want to require a president to give up tax returns.
Can you read? Holy fuck
No cocksuker, I'm asking what requirements of office you assert the dems wish to change.
Tax returns. HOLY FUCK

I ask because of this
The bill, which is endorsed by a wide swath of progressive and civil rights groups, includes, among other things, changes to voter registration requirements, more funding for election security, requirements for presidents and vice presidents to disclose their tax returns and new ethics rules for members of Congress.
The Constitution lists the requirements to run for President and Congress changing them isnt mentioned.
GRANTED, the statists never care about the Constitution to begin with.. but still
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
Can you show me where the Constitution gives them power to change constitutional processes without an amendment?
I wasn’t aware that they were changing a constitutional process. Which process are they changing and how are they changing it?
The process of figuring out if a person is eligible for the Presidency. They are changing it by wanting more requirements.
Do you understand now?
The constitution outlines who is eligible to run for president. It does not outline the process and requirements to register, qualify, disclose, get their name on state ballots, etc etc etc. states run elections and have their processes, also congress has their process and regulations. Those are decided by legislatures. Get it?
To the extent any such measures are used to prevent a candidate from being elected, those requirements would be unconstitutional. After the fact, they may be able to get them, but only after the issues of privilege are litigated.
So if I wanted to run for president but I didn’t want to register or fill out any paper work I just wanted to say I’m running and be included in the election, that’s cool? And if they don’t put me on the ballots I can sue because the constitution doesn’t say anything about paperwork and registration?
Sure. However, if you want to run in the state primaries, you have to comply with their rules.

I ask because of this
Congress is the legislating body so as long as they don’t pass something that contradicts the limitations to power outlined in the constitution then that’s their job. So yes they can legally do this.
Can you show me where the Constitution gives them power to change constitutional processes without an amendment?
I wasn’t aware that they were changing a constitutional process. Which process are they changing and how are they changing it?
The process of figuring out if a person is eligible for the Presidency. They are changing it by wanting more requirements.
Do you understand now?
The constitution outlines who is eligible to run for president. It does not outline the process and requirements to register, qualify, disclose, get their name on state ballots, etc etc etc. states run elections and have their processes, also congress has their process and regulations. Those are decided by legislatures. Get it?
To the extent any such measures are used to prevent a candidate from being elected, those requirements would be unconstitutional. After the fact, they may be able to get them, but only after the issues of privilege are litigated.
So if I wanted to run for president but I didn’t want to register or fill out any paper work I just wanted to say I’m running and be included in the election, that’s cool? And if they don’t put me on the ballots I can sue because the constitution doesn’t say anything about paperwork and registration?
No, disclosure of certain information other than one's identity and ability to qualify for president is adding an eligibility requirement.

So, background checks and disclosure of all attorney-client communications could also be required before one could run, according to you, right?

I ask because of this
The Constitution does not give Congress the power to determine the qualifications for President, so it doesn't have that power. Simple, really.
I never said congress has the power to determine who is qualified to run. They can regulate the process though and of background checks and financial disclosures are part of the process then that’s totally within their power to manage

I ask because of this
Do you understand now?
Sure. However, if you want to run in the state primaries, you have to comply with their rules.
Wouldn’t you agree that those rules are unconstitutional because they are not stated in the constitution?

I ask because of this
The Constitution does not give Congress the power to determine the qualifications for President, so it doesn't have that power. Simple, really.
I never said congress has the power to determine who is qualified to run. They can regulate the process though and of background checks and financial disclosures are part of the process then that’s totally within their power to manage
What's the purpose of the background checks and financial disclosures?

I ask because of this
Do you understand now?
No, disclosure of certain information other than one's identity and ability to qualify for president is adding an eligibility requirement.

So, background checks and disclosure of all attorney-client communications could also be required before one could run, according to you, right?
Anything is possible if a law is passed and if it doesn’t conflict with existing law. Attorney client communications are protected by law so I’d expect that not to pass or to be challenged

I ask because of this
Do you understand now?
Wouldn’t you agree that those rules are unconstitutional because they are not stated in the constitution?
No argument from me on that. They are unconstitutional.

This is moreso.

I ask because of this
To assess risk and provide transparency about the candidate

I ask because of this
Do you understand now?

Anything is possible if a law is passed and if it doesn’t conflict with existing law. Attorney client communications are protected by law so I’d expect that not to pass or to be challenged
Who says new law cannot overturn existing law?

I think what you mean is that new law cannot conflict with the constitutional.

I ask because of this
So, adding an eligibility requirement?

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

You want to change it? AMEND!!!

No more of this obtuse nonsense:

4347491664-5528314fe0-z.jpg

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

I ask because of this

But as was pointed out neither you, nor your link, specifies what "requirements for office" would be changed
Can you read? Holy fuck
No cocksuker, I'm asking what requirements of office you assert the dems wish to change.
Tax returns. HOLY FUCK
That's not a requirement. Congress can't change the requirments of the const, as to age or residence. Congress already regulated financial disclosures. At least you finally stated what confused you.

I ask because of this

Changing the requirements granted by the Constitution is changing the Constitution and if they passed it, it would probably get struck down by the courts, very quickly.

I ask because of this
So, adding an eligibility requirement?

Exactly.

Unconstitutional.

You want to change it? AMEND!!!

No more of this obtuse nonsense:

4347491664-5528314fe0-z.jpg

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!
That’s not what I said or what it is. It’s part of the process that a constitutionally eligible candidate undertakes to run

I ask because of this
It's like everday is groundhog day for them. Amazing.
Section 5: Powers and Duties of Congress
Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members,and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

I ask because of this
Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members,and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.
You know that has nothing to do with presidential elections, right?
Is it groundhog day to you or something?

I ask because of this

Can you read? Holy fuck
Tax returns. HOLY FUCK
That's not a requirement. Congress can't change the requirments of the const, as to age or residence. Congress already regulated financial disclosures. At least you finally stated what confused you.
And, as we all know, just because Congress passes a law that is in direct conflict with the Constitutions does not mean it is Constitutional. Until it is challenged, it stands.

The NFA comes to mind. (No, it has not been fully challenged, ever)

ANother question : What happens if a presidential candidate refuses to file financial disclosures?

I ask because of this
Explain to me how that is relevant to presidential eligibility.

I ask because of this
Explain to me how that is relevant to presidential eligibility.
Ben is old. He knows not what he copy/pastes.

Forum List

Back