Can a President govern from prison?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
If Donald Trump is convicted in the Georgia case, is elected President, and, after appeals fail, goes to prison after his inauguration, can he govern from prison? Or does the seat automatically before vacated, and he is replaced by the Vice President?

If Donald Trump is convicted in the Georgia case, is elected President, and, after appeals fail, goes to prison after his inauguration, can he govern from prison? Or does the seat automatically before vacated, and he is replaced by the Vice President?
There is no way he'll go to prison.

There is no way he'll go to prison.
At one time, folks said there was no way he would be booked with a mug shot.

I am not so sure now. :eusa_think:

They threw Eugene V. Debs in prison, and they threw Lyndon LaRouche in prison, both for defying the establishment, and telling uncomfortable truths about those in power. And they both did a whole lot less it could be argued.

. . . and both still continued to run for president from prison.

You screw with the bull? Sometimes? You get the horns. . . . :confused:

iu

No, a President cannot go to jail, sorry. But once out of the presidency, Joe Biden will be put in jail with Al Capone, his cousin.

What law or judicial opinion says a President cannot go to jail?

Also as elected President, he cant do his job from a prison so, cannot be incarcerated. I guess you never learned that in public indoctrination schools>

Can a sitting U.S. president face criminal charges?
It concluded that criminal charges against a president would “violate the constitutional separation of powers” delineating the authority of the executive, legislative and judicial branches of the U.S. government.
“The indictment or criminal prosecution of a sitting President would unconstitutionally undermine the capacity of the executive branch to perform its constitutionally assigned functions,” the memo stated.

The only way to remove a president is by impeachment.

Also as elected President, he cant do his job from a prison so, cannot be incarcerated. I guess you never learned that in public indoctrination schools>

Can a sitting U.S. president face criminal charges?

The only way to remove a president is by impeachment.
The first article is written from the perspective of federal officials discussing federal prisons. Georgia officials may have a different perspective. If Georgia marshals show up at the White House with an arrest warrant, I doubt they can be stopped.

The first article is written from the perspective of federal officials discussing federal prisons. Georgia officials may have a different perspective. If Georgia marshals show up at the White House with an arrest warrant, I doubt they can be stopped.
Trump has life time secret service protection he's not going to prison

Forum List

Back