Caller ID............WTF happened?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
Do you remember the original caller ID box?
Caller ID was invented so we could see WHO was calling us.
We not only got their phone number, we got their name.

1664641487742.png

So what the fuck happened?
Caller ID doesn't work like this on cell/smart phones!!
Thats NOT smart! Thats STUPID!

WHY doesn't caller ID work like it used to?
WHY doesn't the name show up along with the phone number?
This would help alleviate a LOT of problems with spam, trolls, and robo calls!

Prepaid cell phones don't have a name attached to the phone. Just a number.

And the Caller ID can be stopped so people do not know your number or name. There are good reasons for this.

View attachment 704063

I don't know. I don't have one.

I have a cordless land line and it gives me names. I also have a corded, rotary dial phone that actually works when the power goes out!

View attachment 704063

It is so annoying to get daily spam calls on the landline, there are reasons we keep the landline unfortunately at the house or it would be history. The phone system typically picks them up it and adds the words “ Spam Risk”. First year or so the national “do not call list” seemed to help. Then, it was necessary to call in to sign up each year, so no problem but that was about the time that it no longer seemed to be working whatsoever. I am not exaggerating when I say at least 3 times a day various spam calls come in the “do not call” system that’s obviously not effective. Like another poster mentioned, they have figured out a way around it but I’m still questioning the blocking capability in the first place. Where is the expedient technology growth in this department, when information is said to be doubling every 6 months in all fields of study?

Last edited:
My cell phone only rings if someone is calling me from a number stored in my phone. If the number's not stored the call gets dumped straight to voicemail. If the caller chooses to not leave a message, I don't have much interest in talking to them anyway...

Prepaid cell phones don't have a name attached to the phone. Just a number.

And the Caller ID can be stopped so people do not know your number or name. There are good reasons for this.
Whenever I get a call that reads “caller unknown,” I don’t answer. Anyone who is paying their phone carrier EXTRA money to hide who they are is nobody I am interested in talking with.

My cell phone rings and shows the number that is calling every time a call comes to it. If it is something that is possibly SPAM, it also posts a notification that it could be a SPAM call. If it is someone that is in my contacts list, it shows me who is calling.

I guess it all depends on what the settings are on your phone, and what you set them to. TMobile also has other things that you can set on your phone if the SPAM gets to much, but I haven't seen a need for it yet.

Besides...................it's fun to mess with SPAM callers when they call.

Try answering an unknown phone number sometime by saying "Roadkill Cafe, you kill 'em, we grill 'em, what did your bumper get you today?"

"Satan's Clearinghouse, top dollar offered for all souls, no matter how pure".

My cell phone rings and shows the number that is calling every time a call comes to it. If it is something that is possibly SPAM, it also posts a notification that it could be a SPAM call. If it is someone that is in my contacts list, it shows me who is calling.

I guess it all depends on what the settings are on your phone, and what you set them to. TMobile also has other things that you can set on your phone if the SPAM gets to much, but I haven't seen a need for it yet.

Besides...................it's fun to mess with SPAM callers when they call.

Try answering an unknown phone number sometime by saying "Roadkill Cafe, you kill 'em, we grill 'em, what did your bumper get you today?"

I used to answer "People's Temple, Jim Jones' secretary speaking."

If you have ever said any of that to anyone, what kind of responses did you get return? :) :) :)

God bless you always!!!

Holly

The Alexa voice is understandable but the caller I.D. voice seems like it comes from some Indian village that doesn't have a real command of the English language.

The SPAM calls are a major issue and problem A high percentage of Americans are not enthralled with this as the calls come fast and often for many. Supposedly it was slowed down at the end of August. There are providers who are supposed to block these calls but did not pay to affect them. Again, supposedly they are more phone service providers who are paying to reduce this problem. Politicians can craft a pork laden bill but can not put a simple bill up for a vote to end these calls.

Forum List

Back