What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cain tied with Romney for lead in new CBS poll

Ropey

String tension is not infinite.
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Herman Cain's momentum in the Republican presidential primary appears to be no fluke.

A new CBS News poll finds the former Godfather's Pizza chief tied with Mitt Romney for first place among likely Republican primary voters, with 17 percent support apiece. That's a 12-point jump for Cain, who was at 5 percent in the same poll just two weeks ago. The poll's margin of error among likely Republican voters is 6 points.

But with Cain's prospects on the rise, Rick Perry's stock has plummeted. The CBS poll finds Perry in third place with 12 percent support, an 11-point drop in two weeks.

2011-10-05T003846Z_01_BTRE79401SQ00_RTROPTP_3_POLITICS-US-USA-CAMPAIGN-POLL-CAIN_JPG_475x310_q85.jpg

The CBS poll comes on the heels of a trio of state surveys released by Public Policy Polling on Tuesday that found Cain leading GOP primary contests in North Carolina, Nebraska and West Virginia. An ABC/Washington Post poll released earlier this week found Cain tied for second place with Perry nationally.

Trio of State Surveys

Cain's sudden jump in the polls reflects greater enthusiasm for him among the GOP's most conservative voters. The CBS poll finds the former radio host leading Romney among self-described conservatives—there he clocks 31 percent support, compared to Romney's 15 percent. Cain also leads among Republicans who describe themselves as supporters of the tea party, with 24 percent support. Romney is that group's second choice, with 17 percent support, followed by Gingrich (13 percent) and Perry (12 percent).

Cain tied with Romney for lead in new CBS poll

Mr. Cain certainly makes more sense than any other of the Republican candidates I've been listening to and deciding whether I find them stand-up.

This "Obama Jobs Bill" looks more like a campaign demarcation line strategy than a legislative vehicle. I fail to see him creating any discussion in an attempt to gain leverage over Republicans in Congress over this. Where are his threats to attach it to the incoming yearly government spending bills that Congress is scheduled to pass in mid-November? Grandstanding for votes imo...

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I remember when John Edwards was tied with Obama. WHen Howard Dean was the front runner.
None of this is meaningful. The news folks are manipulating this to sell newspapers.

OP
Ropey

Ropey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when John Edwards was tied with Obama. WHen Howard Dean was the front runner.
None of this is meaningful. The news folks are manipulating this to sell newspapers.

6a0133f2dd8001970b014e8c04e3de970d-800wi

The CBS poll comes on the heels of a trio of state surveys released by Public Policy Polling on Tuesday that found Cain leading GOP primary contests in North Carolina, Nebraska and West Virginia.

Only one poll was a CBS media poll.

Cainmentum - Public Policy Polling

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Reaction score

6a0133f2dd8001970b014e8c04e3de970d-800wi

The CBS poll comes on the heels of a trio of state surveys released by Public Policy Polling on Tuesday that found Cain leading GOP primary contests in North Carolina, Nebraska and West Virginia.

Only one poll was a CBS media poll.

Cainmentum - Public Policy Polling

What does this scary looking bar graph mean? Probably nothing. It is media manipulation.

OP
Ropey

Ropey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ It's not a media poll.

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know . . . . just how big of an explosion will rdean's head produce if Cain gets the nod and wins?

Toro

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Cain is the flavour of the month, which seems to be occurring with alarming regularity in the Republican party.

I'd be surprised if he has any staying power.

elvis

Rookie
Reaction score
Cain is the flavour of the month, which seems to be occurring with alarming regularity in the Republican party.

he doesn't. Romney does.

OP
Ropey

Ropey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is this (flavor of the month) common in US politics Toro?

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Reaction score

he doesn't. Romney does.

The very fact that the GOP has been flailing around looking for a "not Romney" tells me Romney doesn't.

Cain has replaced Perry as the "Not Romney".

Eventually, the 75% who don't like Romney will settle on a "not Romney", and that will probably still be Rick Perry.

elvis

Rookie
Reaction score

he doesn't. Romney does.

The very fact that the GOP has been flailing around looking for a "not Romney" tells me Romney doesn't.

Eventually, the 75% who don't like Romney will settle on a "not Romney", and that will probably still be Rick Perry.
I don't think Perry is going to win. I think Cain has a better shot.

Toro

Diamond Member
Reaction score

No.

The Republican party really doesn't want to nominate Romney but can't find anyone else.

elvis

Rookie
Reaction score

No.

The Republican party really doesn't want to nominate Romney but can't find anyone else.

I hope it stays that way.

Si modo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
he doesn't. Romney does.

I agree.

I would prefer Cain - very much - but Romney ain't all that bad, relative to what we have now. That's an understatement, though. Romney is a dream compared to the O.

OP
Ropey

Ropey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree.

I would prefer Cain - very much - but Romney ain't all that bad, relative to what we have now. That's an understatement, though. Romney is a dream compared to the O.

What about Romney as the finance man? Put him in a room with the books. :) And take the starch from his clothes for gosh sakes. :)

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$505.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List