Bush II has done more for Africa than ANY OTHER U.S. Prez. EVER

People who hate Bush will never give him any credit in regards to his works in Africa.

Not so. I despised Bush, but PEPFAR was a great accomplishment and anybody remotely honest knows credit must be given where it's due.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. ;)

There is no doubt Bush did a great thing for Africa, but I think we can do much better.....

Give them Obama back.

Bush the Younger did more for Africa than the last six presidents.

That will keep him slightly above Grant and Harding as the worst GOP president in history.

Except when it doesn't work?:dunno:
Condoms are effective... except when they break. The pill is effective...except when it's not.

Did you think you had a point? You were wrong.

lol

back in the sixties you could buy a birth control pill at major truck stops.

it was so funny.

Unless you were my dad and were travelling with my mom and my baba.

He came out of this huge truck stop in I 75 with a joke "birth control pill".

It was this huge piece of felt paper with instructions....

Place between knees on date and do not remove until you get home

:lol:

:lol:

People who hate Bush will never give him any credit in regards to his works in Africa.

Don't forget to ask this question, "By refusing to support organizations that teach "safe sex", how many NEW infections did that create?"

Giving out medicine is great, but if your actions, based on ideology creates more disease than it helps, then where is the benefit?

The right can't see that safe sex and information is the ONLY really reliable way to reduce infection. Worse, they are relying on medicine that is developed by scientists. All viruses are difficult to treat because they constantly "evolve". The right doesn't even believe in evolution.

That the OP is proudly and openly a promiscuous gay male is the kind of irony that makes USMB an addicting form of entertainment.

^^^^^^^

epic_fail.jpg

For claiming you know me and my sexual habits (which I've NEVER stated on here) personally.

You tryna top your "conservatism is dead" idiocy or somethin? Record day?:lol:

Another lie? Where did I make that claim? Your right wing masters have taught you well.

Don't forget to ask this question, "By refusing to support organizations that teach "safe sex", how many NEW infections did that create?"

Giving out medicine is great, but if your actions, based on ideology creates more disease than it helps, then where is the benefit?

The right can't see that safe sex and information is the ONLY really reliable way to reduce infection. Worse, they are relying on medicine that is developed by scientists. All viruses are difficult to treat because they constantly "evolve". The right doesn't even believe in evolution.

Teenage pregnancies and syphilis have risen sharply among a generation of American school girls who were urged to avoid sex before marriage under George Bush's evangelically-driven education policy, according to a new report by the US's major public health body.

In a report that will surprise few of Bush's critics on the issue, the Centres for Disease Control says years of falling rates of teenage pregnancies and sexually transmitted disease infections under previous administrations were reversed or stalled in the Bush years. According to the CDC, birth rates among teenagers aged 15 or older had been in decline since 1991 but are up sharply in more than half of American states since 2005. The study also revealed that the number of teenage females with syphilis has risen by nearly half after a significant decrease while a two-decade fall in the gonorrhea infection rate is being reversed. The number of Aids cases in adolescent boys has nearly doubled.

US teen pregnancy and syphilis rates rose sharply during George Bush's presidency, Centres for Disease Control finds | World news | guardian.co.uk

Research from the heavily studied Rakai district in southern Uganda suggests that increased condom use, coupled with premature death among those infected more than a decade ago with the AIDS virus, are primarily responsible for the steady decline in HIV infections in that area.

Uganda's HIV rate drops, but not from abstinence / Study concludes basis of Bush policy apparently irrelevant - SFGate

BOSTON, Feb. 23 -- Abstinence and sexual fidelity have played virtually no role in the much-heralded decline of AIDS rates in the most closely studied region of Uganda, two researchers told a gathering of AIDS scientists here.

It is the deaths of previously infected people, not dramatic change in human behavior, that is the main engine behind the ebbing of the overall rate, or prevalence, of AIDS in southern Uganda over the last decade, they reported.

Uganda's AIDS Decline Attributed to Deaths (washingtonpost.com)

Some critics of PEPFAR feel that American political and social groups with moral rather than public health agendas are behind several requirements of PEPFAR, pointing to the mandates that one-third of prevention spending in 2006–2008 be directed towards abstinence-until-marriage programs and that all funded organizations sign an anti-prostitution pledge. PEPFAR also does not fund needle exchange programs, which are widely regarded as effective in preventing the spread of HIV.[17] The requirement for prevention spending was lifted with the PEPFAR reauthorization in 2008,[10] but some critics worry that some funds could still be spent on abstinence programs. The Center for Health and Gender Equity and Health GAP outline their criticism of PEPFAR on a website known as PEPFAR Watch.

President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PEPFAR Watch — The Global AIDS Relief Monitor

There is convincing evidence that this approach to prevention was a failure. While PEPFAR was very successful in getting treatment to millions of people, according to a study published in the Annals of Medicine, the pace of new infections in PEPFAR focus countries continued to grow.

The Politics of PEPFAR: The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief [Abstract]

Finally, the conservative Christian influence on AIDS policy will continue to make U.S. programs a target for international criticism.

Collectively these lessons also explain why the hope of building a long-term liberal-conservative coalition supporting future humanitarian objectives has been dashed. When the conservatives became interested in what previously had been a liberal issue, they took programmatic control. This left liberals in the awkward position of being on the outside of decisions but unable to be too critical because President Bush was providing far more funding and attention to the AIDS issue than any previous president. Whether liberal groups and legislators would have been so supportive of PEPFAR in 2003 had they known what policies would be implemented by 2007 is an interesting question.

Letter to President Bush - The Body

Letter to President Bush
From Treatment Action Group

We continue to be troubled that sound public health information is being measured against a political standard and not by science. We refer to the fact that information about condoms and condom efficacy virtually disappeared from the CDC Web site for more than a year. Scientific studies have proven numerous times that condoms work and public health experts continue to advise that condoms should be a part of a comprehensive approach to HIV and STD prevention.

-------------------------------------------------------

I seriously don't understand you people. You sit in front of a computer. Anyone of you can do a search on the Internet and find out the truth when these policies have been so thoroughly discussed. It's great that Bush supported giving medicine to those suffering from a terrible disease, but when it wasn't his policies that reduced the amount of new infections, but people dying, then how effective were his methods?

They haven't worked here. Why would anyone expect them to work over there?

You can't yell and scream at the truth. It's the truth. It just "is".

My suggestion. Do some research. Read from people who have actually "studied" the situation. Not right wing websites. They don't believe facts, data and study.

And saying that scientists don't believe in facts, data and study is ridiculous.

So go ahead, yell and scream at me. Rep me. Get really mad. But prove me wrong. Show me the "study".

Last edited by a moderator:
Bush is responsible for saving millions of lives in Africa. The African people love him for it and they should too! He gave them BILLIONS to improve their lives. His initiatives are still working today and will continue to work regardless of what the "Bush derangement syndromer's" say.

PEPFAR has been a raving success. When Bush launched the initiative in 2003, only about 50,000 people in all of sub-Saharan Africa were receiving AIDs or HIV treatment and HIV was literally a death sentence. Now 2 million sub-Saharan Africans are being treated each year.

Not really.

Truth matters.

(good)Public-health policies of President George W. Bush's $45- billion PEPFAR program have brought AIDS drugs to almost 3 million people in poor countries such as Rwanda and Uganda, more than under any other president. (bad)Still, requirements that health workers emphasize abstinence from sex and monogamy over condom use have set back sexually transmitted disease prevention and family planning globally, said Susan F. Wood, co-chairman of Obama's advisory committee for women's health.

The decision to focus on abstinence was ``naïve and dangerous,'' and neglected prevention techniques with the most science behind them, said Mitchell Warren, executive director of the New York-based AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition.

``Everyone pretty much expects we'll see a return to a true science-based response to HIV under Obama,'' he said in a telephone interview. ``We've seen eight years of a focus on things we know don't work.''

Condoms Trump Abstinence in Obama Global AIDS Policy (Update1) - Bloomberg

Major bad can't be offset with "a little good". Who knows how many were infected because of the Bush and religious right policies?

Yes, according to the Marxist propaganda the tiny amount not consumed by dictators and tyrants actually made matters worst. As if the Negroes of Africa are victims of anyone but themselves.

Still rdean comes close to being accurate although wrong in ideology.

No government can give any amount of money to change the third world into a free thinking civil first-class society such as the USA. This is an example why the government cannot have the ability to spend and tax at a whim.

No government should be able to give billions to failed nations and governments.

More examples that Africa is not ready to govern themselves. African governments have been failing the people since the end of Apartheid.

And yet the right is giving billions upon billions to China. They seem to be succeeding.

Clinton started it.

Yes, Africa should be grateful to Bush, but not the U.S

"When Liberals say “teabagger”, they really mean “American”. They came up with the term so they can surreptitiously rant against Americans." - Zander

The morons came up with the term themselves. Zander is a 'teabagger', not a decent American, and a poor conservative. He is also incomplete as a poster and as a human. He can't tell all the truth. For instance, he never posted all of my election predictions. For nstance, I made election predictions later on in late August or early September based on new evidence that reflected conditions as they were changing, just as I had earlier on 6 August. So Zander cheats and won't play by rules he would set for himself.

So what is Zander: dishonest, inconmplete, untruthful, in fact a "teabagger".

That covers it well.

Zander, you moron, you can run, bucko, but you can't hide. Unhappy? Go tell it on brokeback mountain.

Last edited:
Yes, according to the Marxist propaganda the tiny amount not consumed by dictators and tyrants actually made matters worst. As if the Negroes of Africa are victims of anyone but themselves.

Still rdean comes close to being accurate although wrong in ideology.

No government can give any amount of money to change the third world into a free thinking civil first-class society such as the USA. This is an example why the government cannot have the ability to spend and tax at a whim.

No government should be able to give billions to failed nations and governments.

More examples that Africa is not ready to govern themselves. African governments have been failing the people since the end of Apartheid.

And yet the right is giving billions upon billions to China. They seem to be succeeding.

Clinton started it.

Clinton improved communications and set up distribution centers for OUR goods to be sent to China.

Little did he know Republicans would work with China to move millions of American jobs to China. And work with China to give seminars in this country to teach American manufacturers the way to outsource to China. And remove regulations that would have kept jobs here.

Communication and distribution centers are far, far different than what Republicans have done. And try to show some links, the way I do.

Bush is responsible for saving millions of lives in Africa. The African people love him for it and they should too! He gave them BILLIONS to improve their lives. His initiatives are still working today and will continue to work regardless of what the "Bush derangement syndromer's" say.

PEPFAR has been a raving success. When Bush launched the initiative in 2003, only about 50,000 people in all of sub-Saharan Africa were receiving AIDs or HIV treatment and HIV was literally a death sentence. Now 2 million sub-Saharan Africans are being treated each year.

Since you feel so strongly about that, I'm surprised you didn't post links backing up your assertions.

Since you feel so strongly about that, I'm surprised you didn't post links backing up your assertions.

Zander is known for his incompleteness as a poster here.

700,000,000.00 in AIDS relief funding, prevention education, etc. This is a point even his harshest critics concede.

But I'm half curious to see the excuses for slander the BDS lefties here will come up with to "counter":lol:

GWB doesn't care bout black people.....:lol:

People are going to say Bush didn't promote condom use in Africa, so he doesn't deserve any real credit.

Not only that, he cut support for any group or organization that promoted the use of condoms or family planning. That left only ignorant right wingnut groups teaching "abstinence only", something that didn't even work for Bristol Palin.

Bush's follies led directly to the laws being worked out in Uganda. Laws which I'm sure Righteous supports?

What I don't get when I see a post like this, is how you can lie.

I don't get it.

I really don't get when a person can lie so blatantly.

Maybe it is I am just not cut from this cloth. And frankly I am thrilled I am not. How can you just lie this way?

People are going to say Bush didn't promote condom use in Africa, so he doesn't deserve any real credit.

Not only that, he cut support for any group or organization that promoted the use of condoms or family planning. That left only ignorant right wingnut groups teaching "abstinence only", something that didn't even work for Bristol Palin.

Bush's follies led directly to the laws being worked out in Uganda. Laws which I'm sure Righteous supports?

I don't get it.

Maybe it is I am just not cut from this cloth. And frankly I am thrilled I am not. How can you just lie this way?
They're not lies to dean. He really believes what he says. He sees a differently reality than normal people.

I blame an over-indulgence in recreational pharmaceuticals. Or not wearing a helmet when he rides his bike.

I don't get it.

They're not lies to dean. He really believes what he says. He sees a differently reality than normal people.

I blame an over-indulgence in recreational pharmaceuticals. Or not wearing a helmet when he rides his bike.

This from a man who has trouble parsing a pear from a pineapple.

I don't get it.

This from a man who has trouble parsing a pear from a pineapple.
No, no trouble at all. I know a leftist when I see one. :lol:

You very clearly don't, but that is because you are not a conservative, simply a reactionary wack.

700,000,000.00 in AIDS relief funding, prevention education, etc. This is a point even his harshest critics concede.

But I'm half curious to see the excuses for slander the BDS lefties here will come up with to "counter":lol:

I agree with this. Bush did a great deal for Africa. I remember when he made that announcement in his State of the Union address.

In surveys, America is usually cited as more popular than any other great power that has been in Africa.

I agree with this. Bush did a great deal for Africa. I remember when he made that announcement in his State of the Union address.

In surveys, America is usually cited as more popular than any other great power that has been in Africa.

Geldof was seriously befudlled by this. Blair told him straight out that Bush doesn't see color.

Now isn't that an interesting quote that Geldof brings to the picture.

I thought it odd, but so true of this man GW

Forum List

Back