Bush Credits ‘The Work That Was Done’ During ‘My Presidency’ For Bin Laden’s Death

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
By Ben Armbruster

President Bush sat down with USA Today to discuss the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and his role in shaping U.S. policy in their aftermath. During the interview, Bush thought he’d take the opportunity to pat himself on the back for Osama bin Laden’s death:

Bush said the events that led to the death of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in May began during his administration.

“The work that was done by intelligence communities during my presidency was part of putting together the puzzle that enabled us to see the full picture of how bin Laden was communicating and eventually where he was hiding,” he said. “It began the day after 9/11.”

The reality, of course, is that Bush’s attempts to capture or kill bin Laden were huge failures.

More: Bush Credits ‘The Work That Was Done’ During ‘My Presidency’ For Osama Bin Laden’s Death | ThinkProgress

In other words, Bush is trying to take credit for getting bin Laden. Laughable...

As well he should.

Even Obama gave him credit for his role, and Bush and Cheney have said favorable things about Obama in this regard.

So I'm not seeing what the problem here is, other than your extreme partisanship.

Bush did invest a lot of money into improving SPecial Operations groups.

Bush did invest money in the new version blackhawks with the stealth capability.

Bush did invest the money in the intelligence aparatus to smoke these guys out.

I give Obama credit, too. He didn't play to his base of Code Pink Appeasement types who thought that our best approach to terrorism is a profound apology to Muslims for being Christian.

By Ben Armbruster

President Bush sat down with USA Today to discuss the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and his role in shaping U.S. policy in their aftermath. During the interview, Bush thought he’d take the opportunity to pat himself on the back for Osama bin Laden’s death:

Bush said the events that led to the death of al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden in May began during his administration.

“The work that was done by intelligence communities during my presidency was part of putting together the puzzle that enabled us to see the full picture of how bin Laden was communicating and eventually where he was hiding,” he said. “It began the day after 9/11.”

The reality, of course, is that Bush’s attempts to capture or kill bin Laden were huge failures.

More: Bush Credits ‘The Work That Was Done’ During ‘My Presidency’ For Osama Bin Laden’s Death | ThinkProgress

In other words, Bush is trying to take credit for getting bin Laden. Laughable...

Ya cause we all know Obama had to create from scratch the intel that lead to his whereabouts, right?

Ya cause we all know Obama had to create from scratch the intel that lead to his whereabouts, right?

RIGHT, even though Obama didn't personally develope the intel - his appointed leaders did.

Remember TORA BORA...

And in 2005, Bush shut down the CIA’s unit dedicated to finding bin Laden in order to shift resources to Iraq. “The Central Intelligence Agency has closed a unit that for a decade had the mission of hunting Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants,” the New York Times reported in 2006, adding that resources “had been redirected from the hunt for Mr. bin Laden to the search for Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who was killed last month in Iraq.” When the right wing rushed to give Bush credit after bin Laden’s death in May, ThinkProgress produced this short video highlighting Bush’s failures:

Bush's Failed Hunt for Bin Laden - YouTube

Soon after he took office, President Obama steered the U.S. on a course to end the war in Iraq and put resources back into finding bin Laden. “Shortly after I got into office,” Obama said in an interview after bin Laden’s death, “I brought [then-CIA director] Leon Panetta privately into the Oval Office and I said to him, ‘We need to redouble our efforts in hunting bin Laden down. And I want us to start putting more resources, more focus, and more urgency into that mission.’”

Same OP Link: Bush Credits ‘The Work That Was Done’ During ‘My Presidency’ For Osama Bin Laden’s Death | ThinkProgress

By Ben Armbruster

The Work he did Absolutely made it possible. He Gave Obama the Tools to do the Job. Period. The Very things you guys hate, Enhanced interrogations, Gitmo, the patriot Act these things gave Obama the tools. Bush also reorganized our Intel and Law enforcement agencies to work together instead of against each other. Only a total Partisan Hack would try to deny him his share of the Credit.

Both Deserve Credit.

Last edited:
How does Bush deserve credit? In 2005, Bush shut down the CIA’s unit dedicated to finding bin Laden in order to shift resources to Iraq.

By Ben Armbruster

reading for comprehension is your friend.

phrases like "part of" and "began during", for example.

life's getting harder for you, isn't it?

:lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PGmnz5Ow-o]Bush: Truly not concerned about bin Laden (short version) - YouTube[/ame]

He's never going to live that down.

By Ben Armbruster

So your pissed because he had the "gall" to thank intelligence communities for the work that was done on his watch? Work that did help lead to OBL's capture?

So your pissed because he had the "gall" to thank intelligence communities for the work that was done on his watch? Work that did help lead to OBL's capture?

Did I say I was pissed? He had to thank someone else - because he had nothing to do with it.

Did I say I was pissed? He had to thank someone else - because he had nothing to do with it.

You call his comments 'laughable". Get over it. Bush's Intel community found the courier which lead to the name. Without it OBL would still be on the loose.

Work that did help lead to OBL's capture?

Please explain how Bush had ANYTHING to do with developing the intelligence that led to the death of Osama bin Laden. To my knowledge, there is only ONE thing that happened on Bush's watch that had anything to do with finding bin Laden: in 2007, intelligence finally learned the real name of bin Laden's most trusted courier - but couldn't locate him. Locating the courier happened on Obama's watch.

How Osama bin Laden Was Located and Killed - Interactive - NYTimes.com

Senate Intelligence Chair: Information That Led To Bin Laden’s Killing Did Not Come From Torture | ThinkProgress

Please explain how Bush had ANYTHING to do with developing the intelligence that led to the death of Osama bin Laden. To my knowledge, there is only ONE thing that happened on Bush's watch that had anything to do with finding bin Laden: in 2007, intelligence finally learned the real name of bin Laden's most trusted courier - but couldn't locate him. Locating the courier happened on Obama's watch.

Senate Intelligence Chair: Information That Led To Bin Laden’s Killing Did Not Come From Torture | ThinkProgress

Without the name no Osama Bin Laden dumb ass.

Before you can find someone you have to know who you're looking for. Did they explain that to you in kindergarten?

New Topics

Forum List

Back