Buffalo Snowfall: When Did We Lose Ability to Take Care of Ourselves?

Every extreme situation highlights existing problems and weak places. And though I feel for the people suffering from this enormous snowfall, I can’t but notice that we have some real problems.

I was surprised to know that some people died of cardiac issues while cleaning their cars from snow. This is terrible, but… what was the state of their health if such kind of physical activity causes such consequences? I mean, that is signal of real problems with national health…

Then, there are people trapped in their houses. They can’t get out because the snow is door high. I understand they may not have shovels, but… I remember my grandma telling me about such snowfalls. They were regular for the area she lived in, and grandpa just got out through the window in the attic and cleared the way. I keep asking myself why people have problems with that now… I mean, three adult persons are sitting at home hoping to be saved. Why aren’t they doing anything themselves?

Or the story of the guy who died in his car… He got stuck in it because it was covered with more than a foot of snow. How much does it take for the snow to form such height? What was he waiting for?

Or, I know, he waited for help because the authorities are asking people who are stuck in vehicles to remain in their vehicles until they are rescued. But… if the help isn’t coming for two hours and more? Would you wait any longer? I wouldn’t, I would walk to the nearest place with people to wait there, and hell with the car. Life is more precious.

Once again, I feel for the people who died during the snowstorm, but I seems like we have turned into a bunch of children waiting for someone to come and save us, not ready to take some action and responsibility for our own lives. We have become either stupid or helpless…

What would you do if the snow covered the door and blocked the entrance?
You DO know this happens every single time....for as long as I can remember. #1 cause of death when this kind of blizzard happens is heart attacks while shoveling snow.

Typical RW mentality - If they were fetuses, they would be demanding Big Government pass laws to save them.

But, the elderly? Children? Handicapped?

Let them freeze to death.
Another retard.

Juvenile name calling instead of just taking responsibility for your own words. Another typical RW reaction.

Why were you afraid to quote my entire post?

Elderly were mentioned in the OP so yes, those are some of the people we were discussing. And they are certainly some of the worst hit.

Every extreme situation highlights existing problems and weak places. And though I feel for the people suffering from this enormous snowfall, I can’t but notice that we have some real problems.

I was surprised to know that some people died of cardiac issues while cleaning their cars from snow. This is terrible, but… what was the state of their health if such kind of physical activity causes such consequences? I mean, that is signal of real problems with national health…

Then, there are people trapped in their houses. They can’t get out because the snow is door high. I understand they may not have shovels, but… I remember my grandma telling me about such snowfalls. They were regular for the area she lived in, and grandpa just got out through the window in the attic and cleared the way. I keep asking myself why people have problems with that now… I mean, three adult persons are sitting at home hoping to be saved. Why aren’t they doing anything themselves?

Or the story of the guy who died in his car… He got stuck in it because it was covered with more than a foot of snow. How much does it take for the snow to form such height? What was he waiting for?

Or, I know, he waited for help because the authorities are asking people who are stuck in vehicles to remain in their vehicles until they are rescued. But… if the help isn’t coming for two hours and more? Would you wait any longer? I wouldn’t, I would walk to the nearest place with people to wait there, and hell with the car. Life is more precious.

Once again, I feel for the people who died during the snowstorm, but I seems like we have turned into a bunch of children waiting for someone to come and save us, not ready to take some action and responsibility for our own lives. We have become either stupid or helpless…

I went to school in Buffalo and went through the blizard of 77 which was about 48 inches

It is not just the snow, but the drifts which would go over 10 foot high. In 77 I was trapped for 5 days. There was no place to go. Even if you dug your car out the roads were impassable. Even if you walk through the drifts, no stores or other services were open. Their employees cannot get through and they cannot receive any shipments.
Die in your car?
Back in 77 you would be driving your car in blizard conditions. Traffic grinds to a halt. You cannot move. So you sit in your car with the motor running for heat. After a couple hours you are out of gas and your car is covered in snow. It is not just the snowfall but the drifting snow. So you decide to walk out. Seems easy but you are in whiteout conditions with snow up to your chest. Most who died then were those who tried to walk their way out. Many died within a few hundred yards of a house or shelter and never knew it. Many bodies were not found until spring.

It is not a case of people not being able to take care of themselves. People in Buffalo know about snow, it is a way of life. But nobody is able to handle snowfall of this magnitude. Most people will just hunker down and wait it out. People in Buffalo who have snowmobiles will help out their neighbors and bring needed food or medication. Times like this show that you need to be a community and help eachother out. Share food, take in those without heat, shovel out the old people
This is not a time for every man for himself

So you are saying weather patterns change? Hmmmmm this is all so confusing heat in summer, cold in fall and winter. Obama must do something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighten up. This is an EXTRAORDINARY event. NOBODY - no SOCIETY - can be prepared for it.

I'm in excellent condition and I guarantee you that shoveling even 12" of snow is extremely challenging even if you are being careful.

And just like the tsunami that follows the earthquake, the worst is yet to come in Buffalo. They are expecting a serious thaw and rain on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. There will be hundreds of collapsed roofs - mainly on commercial buildings (malls?), but also on residentials. Downed power lines, flooded basements, the works.

The only good thing is that this will bring support and cooperation from people and governments from a wide geographical area. Other states are sending in snow removal equipment, human support, and subsistence supplies.

This is worse than the "hundred year flood" by far.

And a Dope Slap to the asshole above who blamed this on "climate change." Fucking Democrat idiocy.

Clear it, duh...or move to the south...

Good answer. If snow is deep enough to block my door here in Atlanta, the world has ended.

I went to school in Buffalo and went through the blizard of 77 which was about 48 inches

It is not just the snow, but the drifts which would go over 10 foot high. In 77 I was trapped for 5 days. There was no place to go. Even if you dug your car out the roads were impassable. Even if you walk through the drifts, no stores or other services were open. Their employees cannot get through and they cannot receive any shipments.
Die in your car?
Back in 77 you would be driving your car in blizard conditions. Traffic grinds to a halt. You cannot move. So you sit in your car with the motor running for heat. After a couple hours you are out of gas and your car is covered in snow. It is not just the snowfall but the drifting snow. So you decide to walk out. Seems easy but you are in whiteout conditions with snow up to your chest. Most who died then were those who tried to walk their way out. Many died within a few hundred yards of a house or shelter and never knew it. Many bodies were not found until spring.

It is not a case of people not being able to take care of themselves. People in Buffalo know about snow, it is a way of life. But nobody is able to handle snowfall of this magnitude. Most people will just hunker down and wait it out. People in Buffalo who have snowmobiles will help out their neighbors and bring needed food or medication. Times like this show that you need to be a community and help eachother out. Share food, take in those without heat, shovel out the old people

So you are saying weather patterns change? Hmmmmm this is all so confusing heat in summer, cold in fall and winter. Obama must do something

Another moron unable to tell the difference between weather and climate

Die in your car?

Used to be that people helped each other. I remember a storm in Denver when we saw that an elderly neighbor had not been out of his home so we went over and dug him out.

IMO, that's the way its supposed to be.

I would be so ashamed to say 'nature weeded him out'. What kind of sad, sorry jerk shrugs and then walks away from fellow human beings who need help?

snow.jpg

The OP obviously has no concept of reality. Someone died in their car but they really didn't say how, could have been carbon monoxide poisoning if the car was running and buried in snow. If the driver got out of the car where was he or she going in snow that deep without snow shoes? That attempt most likely could have killed them also. People have medical problems, often undiagnosed, yeah that kind of exertion is going to kill em. Many people have no idea what they're in for and don't prepare for it or at least learn how not to die, nothing's changed, a few examples:

Blizzard of January 1952 - 100s Trapped on Train Tahoetopia

That happened about 20 miles from Donner Pass

The Tragic Fate of the Donner Party 1847

The Blizzard of 2010 in NYC

Snow Strands Subway Passengers In 8216 A 8217 Train For Nearly 11 Hours In Queens CBS New York

The Great Blizzard of 1888

Weather Extremes The Great Blizzard of 1888 America s Greatest Snow Disaster Weather Underground

And this idea that you can be independent is a delusion. We are all dependent on others. The question is to what degree.

I enjoy the food that I depend on someone else growing. I depend on people to make, service, and drive trucks to bring it to me. I depend on people making various things that I use to live my life.

Die in your car?

Used to be that people helped each other. I remember a storm in Denver when we saw that an elderly neighbor had not been out of his home so we went over and dug him out.

I would be so ashamed to say 'nature weeded him out'. What kind of sad, sorry jerk shrugs and then walks away from fellow human beings who need help?

When I lived in Buffalo, people helped each other out. I'm sure it is the same today

People who are used to six inches or a foot of snow do not understand what 4-6 feet of snow means. You do not go anywhere. If you try to drive, even with your kickass four wheel drive truck, you will get stuck. The hardest part for the city back in 77 was moving all the cars that were stuck just so you could start clearing the snow. You cannot just plow the snow. There is no place to push it. They had to come in with front end loaders and pile up the snow. Then it was loaded into dump trucks and hauled to the river.
When I lived in Buffalo we were told to just stay where we are. There is nothing you can do and if you try to get out you are just getting in the way of those trying to clear the snow

As far as being stuck in the car, yes, it's better to get out and go to an actual building......unless you're on a highway, and a few miles away from the nearest rest area, and it's white-out conditions, and below-zero wind chill. In those conditions, it's suicide to get out and walk. Just keep the snow from covering your tailpipe.

Again, that's not self-reliance, it's just knowing how to deal with the weather conditions.

Juvenile name calling instead of just taking responsibility for your own words. Another typical RW reaction.

Why were you afraid to quote my entire post?

Elderly were mentioned in the OP so yes, those are some of the people we were discussing. And they are certainly some of the worst hit.
The thread is titled "when did we lose responsibility to take care of ourselves?" I realize it's a stretch for you but that assumes the individuals in question have the ability to take care of themselves. Furthermore, your comments about me being afraid or not taking responsibly is the indicator of the real problem here. You're an idiot.

Die in your car?

When I lived in Buffalo, people helped each other out. I'm sure it is the same today

People who are used to six inches or a foot of snow do not understand what 4-6 feet of snow means. You do not go anywhere. If you try to drive, even with your kickass four wheel drive truck, you will get stuck. The hardest part for the city back in 77 was moving all the cars that were stuck just so you could start clearing the snow. You cannot just plow the snow. There is no place to push it. They had to come in with front end loaders and pile up the snow. Then it was loaded into dump trucks and hauled to the river.
When I lived in Buffalo we were told to just stay where we are. There is nothing you can do and if you try to get out you are just getting in the way of those trying to clear the snow

Is that the one when Jimmy Griffin famously said to stay inside with a six-pack?

That's the legend I always hear.

You are clueless. The white-outs and wind lasted well over two hours....well over 12. Some people were stuck in their car on the Thruway for well over 24 hours. Going out to the "nearest place" would have killed them.

Die in your car?

Is that the one when Jimmy Griffin famously said to stay inside with a six-pack?

That's the legend I always hear.

LOL

I was in college and alcohol was at a premium. I remember kids risking to hike their way out pulling a toboggan and coming back with cases of beer. Made quite a profit as I recall

In 2011 we had those back to back large snow storms in the DC metro area. Our street was often the last to be plowed so those living on the street that could got out and started shoveling, three guys grabbed a chain saw and cleared a huge tree that had fallen across the road. We dug out those who couldn't do it themselves including quite a few helping me dig out. We were lucky in that one of the neighbors had a snow plow on his truck and was able to clear at least some of the street before heading off to do his "get paid" snow removal job. I was able to finally get to work and relieve the one guy stuck there for almost 36 hours, I was at work for 24 hours before someone made it in to relieve me.

Lighten up. This is an EXTRAORDINARY event. NOBODY - no SOCIETY - can be prepared for it.

I'm in excellent condition and I guarantee you that shoveling even 12" of snow is extremely challenging even if you are being careful.

And just like the tsunami that follows the earthquake, the worst is yet to come in Buffalo. They are expecting a serious thaw and rain on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. There will be hundreds of collapsed roofs - mainly on commercial buildings (malls?), but also on residentials. Downed power lines, flooded basements, the works.

The only good thing is that this will bring support and cooperation from people and governments from a wide geographical area. Other states are sending in snow removal equipment, human support, and subsistence supplies.

This is worse than the "hundred year flood" by far.

And a Dope Slap to the asshole above who blamed this on "climate change." Fucking Democrat idiocy.

Give me a fuckin break it is 5 feet of snow, you are telling me Buffalo can't cope, and again climate change is bull shit so FU

Forum List

Back