Bronco vs (K5) Blazer

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

A long, long time ago, starting in the late 60's Chevrolet and Ford offered competitive models of what we now refer to as SUV's. Chevy's vehicle was the Blazer, based on a K5 pickup truck chassis, and the Ford was a Bronco. Both companies have played games with those names in various ways over the years, but the two basic "historical" vehicles remain the icons of the brand names, fondly remembered by car people who are old enough to care.

Both the Bronco and the Blazer were in many ways junk. They had primitive 4-wheel drive setups in which you had to get out of the vehicle to lock in the front hubs when going off road and then unlock them when you got back to pavement. They were both slow gas hogs, handled terribly, and rusted with amazing rapidity. Still, their owners loved them, and they were saddened when, basically, the EPA made them not viable.

The most recent incident of name-abuse for the Blazer came when Chevy introduced its current Blazer in 2019, to no particular fanfare. This vehicle was designed, obviously, for the male who had owned a Camaro, but due to an expanding family, now had to "settle for" a crossover. The styling clearly resembled Camaro styling, it handled reasonably well for the type of car it was, and Chevy offered its 3.6L V6 and turbo 4 engines for those who wanted a bit of performance. When properly equipped, it was exactly what Chevy intended: a crossover that someone who really wanted a Camaro could live with.

On the other side of the world, you had Ford, which was looking enviously at the sales numbers for the profoundly mediocre Jeep Wrangler, and thought they could easily produce a comparable vehicle that was a little bit better at a comparable price. Enter the 2021 Ford Bronco. It's rollout had a few glitches, but it has generally been a good, successful vehicle for them, and in concept it was a modernized "Bronco" of old. It could go off road, it went and handled relatively well, but it wasn't as much of a gas hog as the old Bronco.

So why do I write this? Virtually every reviewer of the Blazer has bemoaned the fact that the new Blazer is not an off-road monster like the old K5 Blazer or the new Bronco are.

IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE!!! It is a totally different concept, one that is well-executed for its intended purpose, which is NOT going off road.

Chevy fucked up with the naming of this vehicle. Maybe they should have done what Mitsubishi did and call it a "Camaro-Cross," or something, but it seems to me that ALL of the media criticism of this vehicle is based on the fact that it is not what THEY (the writers) thought it should be. They ignore the fact that it is a good vehicle in its own right, and was never intended as an off-road monster.

The new EV version will have its own problems. Right now, it is over-priced, and its specs (performance, range, charging times) are not even competitive with a Tesla Model Y. The promised SS version will probably top $70k.

I had both a early Bronco and a fully appointed K5.

The little Bronco was way more capable in the mountains. It was a half-cab.

The K5 could not get out of it's way in snow unless you put 200# of weight in the back.....I made a wooden box and put lead cable sheathing in it for the task.

IMHO the International Scout and Scout II far outperformed the others of the era.

If I ever find one this would be my daily driver. ;)

OIP.q590fVEB15iEFVJdCkWs9wHaE6

A long, long time ago, starting in the late 60's Chevrolet and Ford offered competitive models of what we now refer to as SUV's. Chevy's vehicle was the Blazer, based on a K5 pickup truck chassis, and the Ford was a Bronco. Both companies have played games with those names in various ways over the years, but the two basic "historical" vehicles remain the icons of the brand names, fondly remembered by car people who are old enough to care.

Both the Bronco and the Blazer were in many ways junk. They had primitive 4-wheel drive setups in which you had to get out of the vehicle to lock in the front hubs when going off road and then unlock them when you got back to pavement. They were both slow gas hogs, handled terribly, and rusted with amazing rapidity. Still, their owners loved them, and they were saddened when, basically, the EPA made them not viable.

The most recent incident of name-abuse for the Blazer came when Chevy introduced its current Blazer in 2019, to no particular fanfare. This vehicle was designed, obviously, for the male who had owned a Camaro, but due to an expanding family, now had to "settle for" a crossover. The styling clearly resembled Camaro styling, it handled reasonably well for the type of car it was, and Chevy offered its 3.6L V6 and turbo 4 engines for those who wanted a bit of performance. When properly equipped, it was exactly what Chevy intended: a crossover that someone who really wanted a Camaro could live with.

On the other side of the world, you had Ford, which was looking enviously at the sales numbers for the profoundly mediocre Jeep Wrangler, and thought they could easily produce a comparable vehicle that was a little bit better at a comparable price. Enter the 2021 Ford Bronco. It's rollout had a few glitches, but it has generally been a good, successful vehicle for them, and in concept it was a modernized "Bronco" of old. It could go off road, it went and handled relatively well, but it wasn't as much of a gas hog as the old Bronco.

So why do I write this? Virtually every reviewer of the Blazer has bemoaned the fact that the new Blazer is not an off-road monster like the old K5 Blazer or the new Bronco are.

IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE!!! It is a totally different concept, one that is well-executed for its intended purpose, which is NOT going off road.

Chevy fucked up with the naming of this vehicle. Maybe they should have done what Mitsubishi did and call it a "Camaro-Cross," or something, but it seems to me that ALL of the media criticism of this vehicle is based on the fact that it is not what THEY (the writers) thought it should be. They ignore the fact that it is a good vehicle in its own right, and was never intended as an off-road monster.

The new EV version will have its own problems. Right now, it is over-priced, and its specs (performance, range, charging times) are not even competitive with a Tesla Model Y. The promised SS version will probably top $70k.
I think Chevy gave up on competing in the full size off road market. The Blazer has been more aligned with the Explorer since the mid 90s. Someplace along the line they lost interest in promoting the K5.

I had both a early Bronco and a fully appointed K5.

The little Bronco was way more capable in the mountains. It was a half-cab.

The K5 could not get out of it's way in snow unless you put 200# of weight in the back.....I made a wooden box and put lead cable sheathing in it for the task.

IMHO the International Scout and Scout II far outperformed the others of the era.

If I ever find one this would be my daily driver. ;)

OIP.q590fVEB15iEFVJdCkWs9wHaE6
I agree. I think Ford used the Scout as a pattern for the original Bronco. I drove both in the military in the 60s. Can't say I preferred one over the other. International was always a go to in the 4x4 market though.

Blazer is at least a shortened version of Trailblazer. The Bronco Sport bears no relation to the Bronco.

Forum List

Back