The Death Rattle of EV’s

EVs and other alternative energy cars are the future. Fossil fuels are on the way out. Cons can moan, groan, throw tantrums, stomp their feet and cry like babies, but all they are doing are pissing in the wind. The future is set.
EV technology is not ready for prime time, as mining for battery materials and production of batteries is more damaging to the environment than fossil fuel production, EV performance drops drastically with the temperature, long drives are not practical as the batteries require lengthy recharges, and battery fires are quite intense and difficult to put out. This is not even addressing the ecological nightmare when batteries are discarded en masse in landfills, and the requirement to replace the battery pack when the car is still quite usable, driving up the resale cost. When these issues are resolved, EV's may well indeed be the standard, but until then, leaping about and having great joy over them is, shall we say, premature.

EV technology is not ready for prime time, as mining for battery materials and production of batteries is more damaging to the environment than fossil fuel production, EV performance drops drastically with the temperature, long drives are not practical as the batteries require lengthy recharges, and battery fires are quite intense and difficult to put out. This is not even addressing the ecological nightmare when batteries are discarded en masse in landfills, and the requirement to replace the battery pack when the car is still quite usable, driving up the resale cost. When these issues are resolved, EV's may well indeed be the standard, but until then, leaping about and having great joy over them is, shall we say, premature.
Hilarious fuckup

Still looking at those small hands and wondering small thoughts.

Bet you still have a 286-bit computer waiting for them to get to primetime.

Hilarious fuckup

Still looking at those small hands and wondering small thoughts.

Bet you still have a 286-bit computer waiting for them to get to primetime.
I don't entrust my salary producing online work to technology prone to crashes, if that's where you're headed. If I knew, for example, that I had to stop working every 3 hours to let the computer do maintenance work for an hour, I wouldn't use that computer when I could use one that would run as long as I needed it to without disruption, even if said computer is noisier or takes more electricity. As technology improves and that computer that runs better or cheaper can do the work without disruption, I would switch.

I find it fascinating to see how quickly individuals dive into their inner child and start flinging what they think are devastating insults, hoping desperately to deflect attention from the matter at hand.

I prefer hydrogen, but anything that ends our reliance on a market dominated by dictators is a good thing.

With no concern for petroleum production, I wonder how much interest the US would have in the Middle East / North Africa region.

I don't entrust my salary producing online work to technology prone to crashes, if that's where you're headed. If I knew, for example, that I had to stop working every 3 hours to let the computer do maintenance work for an hour, I wouldn't use that computer when I could use one that would run as long as I needed it to without disruption.

I find it fascinating to see how quickly individuals dive into their inner child and start flinging what they think are devastating insults, hoping desperately to deflect attention from the matter at hand.
You have no idea what you're posting about. A Tesla Model S has a range of 395 miles. Many top EVs currently have ranges around that. A Lucid Air vehicle has a 516-mile range.

Also, charging times have come down to some model around 30 minutes.

I prefer hydrogen, but anything that ends our reliance on a market dominated by dictators is a good thing.

With no concern for petroleum production, I wonder how much interest the US would have in the Middle East / North Africa region.
Fuckups better check the Ghinese EVs that are taking over much of the world.

You have no idea what you're posting about. A Tesla Model S has a range of 395 miles. Many top EVs currently have ranges around that. A Lucid Air vehicle has a 516-mile range.

The issue though (specific to high end EVs like Teslas) is battery replacement. I was talking to a person a t dealership. They have a lot of used Teslas at 35K miles on the lot, because they get sold as the batteries are wearing down and need to be replaced. On a Prius thats what $600? On a Tesla thats $20K.
Fuckups better check the Ghinese EVs that are taking over much of the world.
Sorry, what?

Ev's represent an attempt to address manmade climate change. Their success or failure, which is not yet determined, is in no way an indication that AGW isn't a real threat.
The biggest threat of the man-made global warming doomsday hoax is sanity and rational thinking as greenies plow forward with their crazy solutions to a problem that does not exist

And what is their range in the winter at 10 degrees F? How about in the summer at 110 degrees? How about 4 years after you've bought it? You're bragging about manufacturer posted mileage, which is obtained under completely ideal conditions and rarely reflects real life. An ICE car, for example, that the manufacturer says gets 45 mpg, doesn't include that the car was being driven at minimal speeds around a track with no wind to obtain that number. So, yes, I know what I'm talking about.
In the winter at 10 degrees F? In the summer at 110 degrees? When they bring that down to equal the 3 minutes I spend filling up my tank and keep that up for the life of the car under any weather conditions, they will be competitive. Like I said, it's a great idea, just not yet ready for prime time.

Let's do a thought experiment y'all. Let's say that we've all been driving EV's just like the ones on the market today and someone introduced the ICE. How would it be received?

1. You can fill up the tank in less than 5 minutes and get back on the road. No more waiting for an hour or more just to go for another couple hundred miles.
2. The car weighs at least 1,000 lbs less than all the others on the road, which means less wear and tear on the roads and fewer taxes to pay for repairs.
3. If the car catches on fire, you almost certainly can get out of it before it roasts you alive.
4. The car runs the same in winter and summer. You can get about the same number of miles from every tank full.

Boy, they would be snapped up in a hurry.

The issue though (specific to high end EVs like Teslas) is battery replacement. I was talking to a person a t dealership. They have a lot of used Teslas at 35K miles on the lot, because they get sold as the batteries are wearing down and need to be replaced. On a Prius thats what $600? On a Tesla thats $20K.

Sorry, what?
Prius battery replacement is not cheap either

If not covered under the federally mandated 100k warrenty the batteries often cost more than the used prius is worth

EVs and other alternative energy cars are the future. Fossil fuels are on the way out. Cons can moan, groan, throw tantrums, stomp their feet and cry like babies, but all they are doing are pissing in the wind. The future is set.
Teleportation is the future. Only a fool would think we need to trash what works in the present because we realize it will one day be replaced.

Sorry, what?
Because of that, there is no secondary market for used EV's. That's an issue. Seriously, why would I pay extra thousands of dollars more than what a comparable ICE would cost just to replace the batteries?

Sorry, what?
The new Chinese EVs hitting the market list at $10-15K and they're set to sell millions worldwide.

Didn't Trump say it would be an automotive "bloodbath" in the US if electric cars were manufactured in Mexico and sold in the US?

If no one wants electric cars, why would electric cars coming into this country result in an economic "bloodbath" for the US auto industry as Trump was so adamant about?

Me thinks that is because cheap EVs would indeed bury the fossil fuel vehicles. However my view is that we should have tariffs to protect domestic U.S. EV production. EVs and other clean energy vehicles are the future.

Didn't Trump say it would be an automotive "bloodbath" in the US if electric cars were manufactured in Mexico and sold in the US?

If no one wants electric cars, why would electric cars coming into this country result in an economic "bloodbath" for the US auto industry as Trump was so adamant about?

Me thinks that is because cheap EVs would indeed bury the fossil fuel vehicles. However my view is that we should have tariffs to protect domestic U.S. EV production. EVs and other clean energy vehicles are the future.
Until infrastructure and battery technology are drastically improved, EV's won't "bury" anything. It's bad enough waiting for an hour or more to charge your car, but think what it would be like if you had to wait additional hours on a vacation trip for other people to charge up first, and to deal with rolling blackouts at home because everybody's trying to charge at the same time. EV's are a great idea that's just not ready for prime time yet.

Until infrastructure and battery technology are drastically improved, EV's won't "bury" anything. It's bad enough waiting for an hour or more to charge your car, but think what it would be like if you had to wait additional hours on a vacation trip for other people to charge up first, and to deal with rolling blackouts at home because everybody's trying to charge at the same time. EV's are a great idea that's just not ready for prime time yet.
And cars that weigh at least 50% more, putting more stress on roads, bridges, and wearing out unrecyclable tires more quickly.

The envirowhacks wouldn't know an externality if is came dressed as a drag queen.

Forum List

Back