Brits showing the way for American internet responsibility:

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
Too many people have been harmed by irresponsible internet criminals!
Now Britain is stepping up the issue in a way that would go far toward cleaning up t he cesspit that is The American Internet:

Some of the major features of the proposed new law:
  • Ofcom, the new online regulator, being able to fine companies up to £18m or 10% of their annual global turnover (whichever is higher) if they fail to take down harmful content
  • Ofcom having the power to block access to sites
  • New duty of care rules requiring tech companies to take action not only against dangerous content but also against content that is lawful but harmful, such as information about suicide and self-harm
  • The threat of criminal action against senior managers if tech companies fail to live up to their responsibilities, with the new rules being reviewed every two years
  • Tech firms will have to take responsibility for fraudulent user-generated content, including financial fraud such as romance scams or fake investment opportunities
  • The protection of "democratic content", meaning platforms will not be able to discriminate against political viewpoints and otherwise banned content will be allowed if it is "democratically important"
I especially like the provision for criminal action - something sure to get the attention of the big-bucks folks behind the many sites that now ban people who dare to hold opinions contrary to their own despotic agendas!

I would like to see a 1 cent tax per email to pay for better internet security. It would only cost me about $1 per year, but it will cost a lot for the spammers who send millions a day flooding my in box, so they will stop that crap & save me loads of time reading senders name & title & delegating.

Now Britain is stepping up the issue in a way that would go far toward cleaning up t he cesspit that is The American Internet:

• Ofcom, the new online regulator, being able to fine companies up to £18m or 10% of their annual global turnover (whichever is higher) if they fail to take down harmful content
  • New duty of care rules requiring tech companies to take action not only against dangerous content but also against content that is lawful but harmful, such as information about suicide and self-harm
  • The threat of criminal action against senior managers if tech companies fail to live up to their responsibilities, with the new rules being reviewed every two years
  • Tech firms will have to take responsibility for fraudulent user-generated content, including financial fraud such as romance scams or fake investment opportunities
  • The protection of "democratic content", meaning platforms will not be able to discriminate against political viewpoints and otherwise banned content will be allowed if it is "democratically important"
I especially like the provision for criminal action - something sure to get the attention of the big-bucks folks behind the many sites that now ban people who dare to hold opinions contrary to their own despotic agendas!
Well if Al Gore didn't invent it you wouldn't have a thread.

My rule would be everyones Social Score goes in their post. You'll tell who are the liars and who aren't

I would like to see a 1 cent tax per email to pay for better internet security. It would only cost me about $1 per year, but it will cost a lot for the spammers who send millions a day flooding my in box, so they will stop that crap & save me loads of time reading senders name & title & delegating.
I love the billions of spams going through emails. Driving people nuts and taking precious time from them

My rule would be everyones Social Score goes in their post. You'll tell who are the liars and who aren't

Please note that "social score" policies are in effect in China but not, at the moment in the U.S.

Your posting from China might well explain your misunderstanding of that.

So the U.K. is going to hold legitimate internet companies responsible for the crimes of internet hackers? No surprise here.

Please note that "social score" policies are in effect in China but not, at the moment in the U.S.

Henry. I've made a career out of credit so I forgot more than you could know in a 100 of your lifetimes.

That out of the way. Everyone has a Social Score now and it is very accurate. Mine is a 4.3 out of 5 which is golden. Never saw anything over 4.6

Most people who don't like Social Scores are people who have shitty ones. People who are not even worth the cost of the minerals in their worthless bodies.

Same with credit scores. Those who don't like them are deadbeats...again, not worth the cost of the minerals in their bodies

That's life

Henry. I've made a career out of credit so I forgot more than you could know in a 100 of your lifetimes.

That out of the way. Everyone has a Social Score now and it is very accurate. Mine is a 4.3 out of 5 which is golden. Never saw anything over 4.6

Most people who don't like Social Scores are people who have shitty ones. People who are not even worth the cost of the minerals in their worthless bodies.

Same with credit scores. Those who don't like them are deadbeats...again, not worth the cost of the minerals in their bodies

That's life

Is it a reading comprehension issue that inhibits the ability to differentiate twixt "credit score" and "social score"?

One is a capitalist thing; the other a communist thing. I'll leave it to you to puzzle over which is which is which.

Last thing I want is a third party put in place by the government to decide what is and isn't ok for the internet. It's a other layer of censorship that is a direct arm of the government.

But this is always how a free country loses its freedom. In America every single freedom we have ever lost is because our own government took it from us, and it's usually done by some big event they can scare people into going along with for the sake of protecting us.

But what people also don't realize is this is how real problems start, very small. Things like this start small and no one thinks or notices. It isn't till later when the cancer has grown to a size everyone sees it but it's too late to deal with unless it's with something radical.

But no one thinks about what's ahead of us, Americans only care about right here and right now. They are like goldfish, they only know about the second they are living in and the second they just left. They want immediate action to what they don't like right now.

Last thing I want is a third party put in place by the government to decide what is and isn't ok for the internet. It's a other layer of censorship that is a direct arm of the government.

But this is always how a free country loses its freedom. In America every single freedom we have ever lost is because our own government took it from us, and it's usually done by some big event they can scare people into going along with for the sake of protecting us.

But what people also don't realize is this is how real problems start, very small. Things like this start small and no one thinks or notices. It isn't till later when the cancer has grown to a size everyone sees it but it's too late to deal with unless it's with something radical.

But no one thinks about what's ahead of us, Americans only care about right here and right now. They are like goldfish, they only know about the second they are living in and the second they just left. They want immediate action to what they don't like right now.
They have two years to destroy this country and that is what they intend to do.

Forum List

Back