Thank the government for the Internet

IM2

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2015
People tell us what the government can't do. We read and hear a bunch of no law degree having constitutional "experts" telling us what the government is not supposed to do. And we are here reading anti government garbage on a system created by the government.

Yes, Government Researchers Really Did Invent the Internet

"It's an urban legend that the government launched the Internet," writes Gordon Crovitz in an opinion piece in today's Wall Street Journal. Most histories cite the Pentagon-backed ARPANet as the Internet's immediate predecessor, but that view undersells the importance of research conducted at Xerox PARC labs in the 1970s, claims Crovitz. In fact, Crovitz implies that, if anything, government intervention gummed up the natural process of laissez faire innovation. "The Internet was fully privatized in 1995," says Crovitz, "just as the commercial Web began to boom." The implication is clear: the Internet could only become the world-changing force it is today once big government got out of the way.

But Crovitz's story is based on a profound misunderstanding of not only history, but technology. Most egregiously, Crovitz seems to confuse the Internet—at heart, a set of protocols designed to allow far-flung computer networks to communicate with one another—with Ethernet, a protocol for connecting nearby computers into a local network. (Robert Metcalfe, a researcher at Xerox PARC who co-invented the Ethernet protocol, today tweeted tongue-in-cheek "Is it possible I invented the whole damn Internet?")

The most important part of what we now know of as the Internet is the TCP/IP protocol, which was invented by Vincent Cerf and Robert Kahn. Crovitz mentions TCP/IP, but only in passing, calling it (correctly) "the Internet's backbone." He fails to mention that Cerf and Kahn developed TCP/IP while working on a government grant.

In truth, no private company would have been capable of developing a project like the Internet, which required years of R&D efforts spread out over scores of far-flung agencies, and which began to take off only after decades of investment. Visionary infrastructure projects such as this are part of what has allowed our economy to grow so much in the past century.

The US military has made many advancements in technology for the nation and humanity.

I’m surprised you are willing to admit this, since it did these things without DEI.

The US military has made many advancements in technology for the nation and humanity.

I’m surprised you are willing to admit this, since it did these things without DEI.
Don't be so quick to say that.

Philip Emeagwali, Nigerian American Computer Pioneer​

1713857247287.png

Philip Emeagwali (born August 23, 1954) is a Nigerian American computer scientist. He achieved computing breakthroughs that helped lead to the development of the internet.

STFU. Because if not for racism America would be far more advanced.

The.evidence is that if a nation floods.billiojs of dollars into a technology it SHOULD.lead.to great breakthroughs. The U.S military is well funded for innovation. Why the same funding and commitment in curing.cancer? We saw multiple companies develop the covid vaccine for instance, without months! We need to rid the world of cancer and of corrupt police in Canada.

Don't be so quick to say that.

Philip Emeagwali, Nigerian American Computer Pioneer​

View attachment 936478

Philip Emeagwali (born August 23, 1954) is a Nigerian American computer scientist. He achieved computing breakthroughs that helped lead to the development of the internet.

😂

Nigerians think American blacks are stupid ,lazy,and ridiculously materialistic...theyre also the ones who probably shipped your slower ancestors ass over here ...

I've been to Lagos when I was young when I first started in textiles ...they were buying shit tons of seconds and thirds ....big destination for used clothing to...used to be ..94 or 95 I think they hung the president and the nira went to shit ..hurt American and British jobbers who shipped to west Africa

😂

Nigerians think American blacks are stupid ,lazy,and ridiculously materialistic...theyre also the ones who probably shipped your slower ancestors ass over here ...

I've been to Lagos when I was young when I first started in textiles ...they were buying shit tons of seconds and thirds ....big destination for used clothing to...used to be ..94 or 95 I think they hung the president and the nira went to shit ..hurt American and British jobbers who shipped to west Africa
I actually know Nigerians. So you can stop trying to tell me that lie.

And whites bought the slaves. Nigerians didn't ship them anywhere. Whites owned the shipping companies.

I actually know Nigerians. So you can stop trying to tell me that lie.

And whites bought the slaves. Nigerians didn't ship them anywhere. Whites owned the shipping companies.
So do I....it's true
Nigerians run half the bureaucracies in NYC these days and they're all over Texas ...I'm sure you've met some or have some friends

American blacks are extremely materialistic ....

Shipped out of Nigeria......yep ...
Shipped em....
Ship it!

Or, further round the U - bend .

A problem with average Black IQ -- much lower than Jewish , Asian and Caucasian groups and in that order .

Messenger not Judge .

Or, further round the U - bend .

A problem with average Black IQ -- much lower than Jewish , Asian and Caucasian groups and in that order .

Messenger not Judge .
I was quoting him and laughing at it

It didn't quote

Back to the topic

bhnnjnnn.jpg

We're getting there

The argument that a past wasteful government did something good means government good is one lame ass boomer Marxist snooze fest if ya ask me ...

What dummy doesn't realize his ideology will never rise from the ashes

Useful idiots usually wind up dead

A story on the development of the internet and it took no time for the boards racists to somehow spin it to spout their racism.

It didn't quote

Back to the topic

View attachment 936495

We're getting there

The argument that a past wasteful government did something good means government good is one lame ass boomer Marxist snooze fest if ya ask me ...

It way past time to get rid of government as it’s practiced today. The most heinous acts ever committed, are done by government.

People tell us what the government can't do. We read and hear a bunch of no law degree having constitutional "experts" telling us what the government is not supposed to do. And we are here reading anti government garbage on a system created by the government.

Yes, Government Researchers Really Did Invent the Internet

"It's an urban legend that the government launched the Internet," writes Gordon Crovitz in an opinion piece in today's Wall Street Journal. Most histories cite the Pentagon-backed ARPANet as the Internet's immediate predecessor, but that view undersells the importance of research conducted at Xerox PARC labs in the 1970s, claims Crovitz. In fact, Crovitz implies that, if anything, government intervention gummed up the natural process of laissez faire innovation. "The Internet was fully privatized in 1995," says Crovitz, "just as the commercial Web began to boom." The implication is clear: the Internet could only become the world-changing force it is today once big government got out of the way.

But Crovitz's story is based on a profound misunderstanding of not only history, but technology. Most egregiously, Crovitz seems to confuse the Internet—at heart, a set of protocols designed to allow far-flung computer networks to communicate with one another—with Ethernet, a protocol for connecting nearby computers into a local network. (Robert Metcalfe, a researcher at Xerox PARC who co-invented the Ethernet protocol, today tweeted tongue-in-cheek "Is it possible I invented the whole damn Internet?")

The most important part of what we now know of as the Internet is the TCP/IP protocol, which was invented by Vincent Cerf and Robert Kahn. Crovitz mentions TCP/IP, but only in passing, calling it (correctly) "the Internet's backbone." He fails to mention that Cerf and Kahn developed TCP/IP while working on a government grant.

In truth, no private company would have been capable of developing a project like the Internet, which required years of R&D efforts spread out over scores of far-flung agencies, and which began to take off only after decades of investment. Visionary infrastructure projects such as this are part of what has allowed our economy to grow so much in the past century.

The Government never makes anything affordable or worth a shit to the public. We used GPS is the military before it was available to civilians and it was cumbersome , unreliable and expensive as hell . Because of private industry everyone is carrying this technology.

Look at Space travel the price per pound for launching things into orbit has gone from over $10,000 when the Governments where the only game in town to under a $1000 per pound now that private companies are involved.

The private sector will always be better than the Government.

The Government never makes anything affordable or worth a shit to the public. We used GPS is the military before it was available to civilians and it was cumbersome , unreliable and expensive as hell . Because of private industry everyone is carrying this technology.

Look at Space travel the price per pound for launching things into orbit has gone from over $10,000 when the Governments where the only game in town to under a $1000 per pound now that private companies are involved.

The private sector will always be better than the Government.

Things most always gets less expensive over time.

It didn't quote

Back to the topic

View attachment 936495

We're getting there

From admittedly only a fast scan , IM1 uses an isolated example to try and negate a very useful and practical generalisation . The Government versus Private initiatives .

I am wary of generalisations-- if not useful to my discussion point if view --- but really all discussions should rest on individual subject merit rather than those wide ranging and sweeping general assertions .

But IM1 always seemd to bring a blinkered vision to the Topics he raises .
I do not wish him Dead but "Gone AWOL " might be pleasant .

That's not what the government does. Sheesh.
Education and Housing is just a couple of things the Fed has fucked up with no Constitutional mandate to do so. Then there is the shit ton of regulations on everything. The largest employer in the US is the Federal Government that is wrong on every level.

Forum List

Back