Breaking News Alert: Jet Carrying Mike Pence Landing At LaGuardia Skids Off Runway

Not good on the airplane, but usually it's more a problem with inconvenience than injury in these cases.

The article seemed to conflict itself: "He added that these hard landings have become commonplace.

“No one expected anything like this,” He told CBSN.
"

LaGuardia is known for short runways, and wind issues. It's the airport I usually fly in/out of and landings even in good weather can be "interesting"

The approaches also thread the needle between the JFK approaches and the Newark Approaches, so you get turns on approach you don't usually see at larger airports.

LaGuardia is known for short runways, and wind issues. It's the airport I usually fly in/out of and landings even in good weather can be "interesting"

The approaches also thread the needle between the JFK approaches and the Newark Approaches, so you get turns on approach you don't usually see at larger airports.
Agreed. I've been through there a few times myself. However, the runways at Midway in Chicago are even shorter and also deal with nasty winds. Since the aircraft was so lightly loaded, it shouldn't have been a problem even on a slick runway unless there was either a mechanical issue or something else unusual going on.

Part of the problem appears to be mechanical- the spoiler automation was inoperative. While 3 seconds doesn't seem like much, but at 130 knots, that''s ( 219.415 fps x 3) 658.3 feet extra landing distance.

Mike Pence’s Jet Had Faulty Device
A device intended to automatically help slow aircraft upon landing wasn’t operating when a jet carrying vice-presidential candidateMike Pence skidded off a La Guardia Airport runway Thursday night, federal investigators said.

The pilots had to manually deploy panels that pop up on top of the wings, called spoilers, delaying by some seconds their effectiveness, the National Transportation Safety Board said Friday.

Under federal rules and safety procedures, aircraft can operate temporarily without the devices’ automated feature, said Robert Sumwalt, the safety board’s vice chairman. It wasn’t clear if the spoilers issue contributed to the skidding but, Mr. Sumwalt said, “normally, they should work.”

Automatic deployment of the spoilers takes about a second while the manual process Thursday night took four seconds, Mr. Sumwalt said.

I've been through there a few times myself. However, the runways at Midway in Chicago are even shorter and also deal with nasty winds. Since the aircraft was so lightly loaded, it shouldn't have been a problem even on a slick runway unless there was either a mechanical issue or something else unusual going on.
You ain't soiled your skivvys until you've landed at San Diego's Lindbergh Field. The jets literally belly-scrape over the top of this high building just as they hit the very short runway. Essentially you belly-scrape over the buildings and then just fall onto the runway as the brakes squeal and the stink of their pads and burning rubber hits your nose. Super fun.

I once had the pleasure of finding out our pilot who landed was a young pup in training with a much older and seasoned co-pilot. He came out of the cockpit after landing (I believe for the very first time) at Lindbergh and he was drenched with sweat from head to foot....looked quite pale and was visibly shaking.

0ba3935a8fef8ace4de0804a0b04225d.jpg

I've been through there a few times myself. However, the runways at Midway in Chicago are even shorter and also deal with nasty winds. Since the aircraft was so lightly loaded, it shouldn't have been a problem even on a slick runway unless there was either a mechanical issue or something else unusual going on.
You ain't soiled your skivvys until you've landed at San Diego's Lindbergh Field. The jets literally belly-scrape over the top of this high building just as they hit the very short runway. Essentially you belly-scrape over the buildings and then just fall onto the runway as the brakes squeal and the stink of their pads and burning rubber hits your nose. Super fun.

I once had the pleasure of finding out our pilot who landed was a young pup in training with a much older and seasoned co-pilot. He came out of the cockpit after landing (I believe for the very first time) at Lindbergh and he was drenched with sweat from head to foot....looked quite pale and was visibly shaking.

0ba3935a8fef8ace4de0804a0b04225d.jpg
I've not only landed there, but got both a good view of the parking garage on the hill above RWY27 and stayed in the Radisson drinking beer watching aircraft land even with the hotel.

I've not only landed there, but got both a good view of the parking garage on the hill above RWY27 and stayed in the Radisson drinking beer watching aircraft land even with the hotel.

Keyword "drinking". It helps to have a few stiff drinks if you're staying at that hotel or landing over it. Matter of fact, stay drunk the whole time. It's better that way.

Keyword "drinking". It helps to have a few stiff drinks if you're staying at that hotel or landing over it. Matter of fact, stay drunk the whole time. It's better that way.
Have you ever seen the airport on Catalina Island? It's the one with all the crashed planes on the sides.

maxresdefault.jpg

Have you ever seen the airport on Catalina Island? It's the one with all the crashed planes on the sides.

No, but as Larry the Cable guy would say "there's your sign...". Might be a great reason to avoid it!

At least the planes there look like they have a clear shot at the runway, instead of belly-dragging over a hotel as they freefall onto Lindbergh with a flop. Belly-drag, belly-flop....*screeeeeeech!!* Yea! We made it to San Diego!

Forum List

Back