Air Canada plane was 'a few feet' from 'worst crash in aviation history,' NTSB report says

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Thank God this was avoided.

Starting the 17th, these pilots won't just be flying high, they might be high as certain products will be legal in Canada...a scary thought.

Faster reporting urged after 2017 Air Canada plane runway miss nearly caused 'worst crash' in air history | CBC News

A near-collision of airliners in San Francisco last year was a few feet from becoming the worst crash in aviation history and underscores the need for faster reporting of dangerous incidents before evidence is lost, U.S. safety officials say.

The U.S. National Transportation Safety Board issued a final report Thursday on the incident involving an Air Canada plane, which nearly crashed into planes lined up on the ground at San Francisco International Airport.

The NTSB says the recording could have helped investigators understand why the Air Canada pilots missed the runway and were about to land on a taxiway where four other planes were idling before they halted their landing.

The Air Canada jet swooped to just 18.2 metres above the ground while passing over other planes packed with passengers waiting to take off shortly before midnight on July 7, 2017.

"Only a few feet of separation prevented this from possibly becoming the worst aviation accident in history," NTSB vice-chairman Bruce Landsberg said in a statement accompanying the report.

Over 1,000 people at risk
Another board member, Earl Weener, said the Air Canada plane came close to hitting another plane and colliding with several others.

from viewing the video it is obvious weather was NOT a factor so, what was the issue?

Looks to me like a very simple case of 'pilot error' which happens daily.

Starting the 17th, these pilots won't just be flying high, they might be high as certain products will be legal in Canada...a scary thought.

Legal cannabis is going to be strictly off-limits to pilots. Even I know that.

You should listen to CBC more often.

Legal cannabis is going to be strictly off-limits to pilots. Even I know that.

You should listen to CBC more often.

And 28 days for police. Which as much as I know how many covert clowns they employ is not right in my opinion, unless they will apply the same standard to alcohol.

You either make something legal or you don't. Either way, I don't partake in it, but you shouldn't punish citizens who do simply because of their positions.

As for the pilots. They aren't going to be tested every flight are they? They will soon be able to pick some up at numerous locations.

Last edited:
Who would get into the seat of a loaded airliner and fly it when aware they had partaken of consciousness and perception altering substances, be it alcohol or other?
We trust pilots; we have to. That will remain the case until computers replace them (which could be soon and safer).

Forum List

Back