Breaking: Gen. Mcchrystal submits resignation

According to Drudge and HuffPost!

Wow. What a setback.

I don't know much about this guy, but why would any military man give an interview about his opposition to the Commander in Chief to Rolling Stone magazine? Seems self-destructive; mebbe it was time for him to go?

Why Rolling Stone, of all things?

We called this one this morning. There is no way a true General allows an idiot like Obama to can him.

Thank you for your service, General, and we all appreciate and understand the sentiments you expressed. Most of us also agree that the current "commander in chief" is an unprepared clown.

Obama didn't do anything wrong, the general did. He is the one leaving in shame.
Rolling stone said he knew he was on the record and the interviews went on for a couple of days with RS asking him many times whether he agreed with aid's comments.

He's nuts and should be fired. They shouldn't allow the weasel to skulk away in the dead of night.

The problem with being a boss is that one must strive to maintain contact with subordinates. A good way to do this is to communicate with them. The Big 0 excels in one way communication. Unfortunately, building loyalty relies on two way communication.

If the Big 0 had any sense at all of how to be a leader, he would lead. The General waited for leadership and finding none went his own way. If this was a surprise to the Big 0, he deserved to be surprised. If it was not a surprise, he deserved to be betrayed.

The General was the kind of leader who would kneel in the dirt to look into the eyes of his subordinates. The Big 0 is the kind of a leader that would allow others to kneel in the dirt to kiss his ass.

All of this aside, though, the military demands a certain deportment that was missing in this sequence of events. McCrystal brings to mind the Jack Nicholson Marine who knew the Truth. The Divine sense of humor that fulfills the goal of attaining a theater command puts the General under the aloof Big 0 as his wartime President.

Ros Serling stuff.

"Pentagon officials said the general had prepared a letter of resignation" - The New York Times

This sucks. McChrystal is probably our best hope for any meaningful success in Afghanistan, but what he's done is inexcusable. He has apologized, because he knows that military commanders just don't criticize their elected bosses - at least not publicly. It undermines our system of a military serving elected civilians, and it's a recipe for a military coup. I'm a big fan of McChrystal, but if Obama gives him the boot, I can't say it's the wrong choice. It just sucks. :frown:

According to Drudge and HuffPost!

Wow. What a setback.

I feel McCrystal should resign for his comments about the president.

If he doesn't resign I feel Obama should fire him.

I have too much respect for our system to be able to support a sitting general to speak as he did about the commander in chief.

Now before people start freaking out let me finish my opinion below.

I totally agree with what McCrystal said and I'm glad he said it. In my opinion he should have resigned first and then spoke out in the manner that he did. I wish he chose that route but he didn't.

A for initiative, F for execution. Agreed.

I'm afraid that so much focus is being put on the insubordinate nature of McChrystal's comments that it's too easy to overlook the reason why a four-star general would allow his innermost thoughts to be broadcast by Rolling Stone of all things.

Obama didn't do anything wrong, the general did. He is the one leaving in shame.

Rolling stone said he knew he was on the record and the interviews went on for a couple of days with RS asking him many times whether he agreed with aid's comments.

He's nuts and should be fired. They shouldn't allow the weasel to skulk away in the dead of night.

Well...in the first line you proved your blind adoration for Obama again...and then in the last you proved your obvious failure to understand the way things really are...

Since the beginning, Obama has underminded one of, if not THE most qualified military minds to run that campaign...and finally the General had had his fill. It has been building for quite a while. Obama FAILED to support his commanding officers. He FAILED to support his military personnel. That's not only wrong...it's disgraceful.

But the bottom line is this....YOU CAN NOT FIRE SOMEONE AFTER A RESIGNATION HAS BEEN TENDERED.

How many times did McChrystal try to get Obama's attention? How long did Obama play with himself before finally sending about 1/3 or 1/2 of the men McChrystal requested?

Obama is unfit for office and unfit to be CINC. Period. You can't be an effective leader when you hate the people you're supposed to be leading.

How sad that our CINC has thinner skin than a 100 year old woman. Perhaps now McChrystal can clear up some of what's going on in Afghanistan for the American people. Sunday talk shows..here he comes.

I see where this is going already. Everything that has gone wrong in Afghan since Obama came into office is the generals fault. Obama once again has no responsibility even though he has been president for 18 months.

If this was Bush all the Libs would be talking about how the General Was sick of serving an inept shortsighted Marxist president who had know idea WTF he was doing in Afghanistan, and refuses to give his Generals the support they need and request. A President who changes the ROE to the point that our troops are afraid to shoot at anyone for fear of ending up on trial. But Nooooooo..

This is the the great Barrack Obama were talking about here so all the libs are in trash the General Obama is a god mode.

That about the right?

Last edited:
I see where this is going already. Everything that has gone wrong in Afghan since Obama came into office is the generals fault. Obama once again has no responsibility even though he has been president for 18 months.

That about the right?
Nope.

Why?

Obama personally promoted McChrystal to his current position in Afghanistan.

Hmm, I think he should have resigned/been fired because his strategy is hopelessly inept and incapable of achieving its own stated goals.

The fact that he used to head JSOC, helped cover up Tillman's death, and shunned Eikenberry for being honest and realistic only add to that.

The article painted him as an asshole, but I don't see that as grounds for leaving.

Oh well, I'd say right move for the wrong reason.

Last edited:
It appears that General McChrystal has offered to resign over the Rolling Stone insubordination.

Given his gross incompetence at orchestrating the Afghan War, I hope Obama accepts.
Insubordination? How so? What orders did he refuse to carry out?
Top Generals in a theater of war do not publicly question nor contradict the C-in-C.

Gross incompetence at orchestrating? Do you really think he orchestrated a damned thing?

McChrystal was both unsuited and unprepared to take command in Afghanistan, and our troops there have suffered as a result.

Michael Yon was right.

---

I posted here about McChrystal's incompetence weeks ago:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/military/113946-afghanistan-this-war-is-above-his-head.html

This was quite thoughtful and as it turns out, you were prophetic about McChrystal as well a few weeks ago.

It's prompted me to read a little more about Michael Yon.

Nice catch, really.

Last edited:
Gem, got it in one.

McChrystal knew exactly wht he was doing.

He left the military and entered politics when he did that.

He's hardly the first general to play that game.

Can't wait to see what political office he'll be running for.

Or barring that political angle, what cozy billet he'll be filling on some Republican team players roster, somewhere.

Last edited:

The problem with being a boss is that one must strive to maintain contact with subordinates. A good way to do this is to communicate with them. The Big 0 excels in one way communication. Unfortunately, building loyalty relies on two way communication.

If the Big 0 had any sense at all of how to be a leader, he would lead. The General waited for leadership and finding none went his own way. If this was a surprise to the Big 0, he deserved to be surprised. If it was not a surprise, he deserved to be betrayed.

The General was the kind of leader who would kneel in the dirt to look into the eyes of his subordinates. The Big 0 is the kind of a leader that would allow others to kneel in the dirt to kiss his ass.

All of this aside, though, the military demands a certain deportment that was missing in this sequence of events. McCrystal brings to mind the Jack Nicholson Marine who knew the Truth. The Divine sense of humor that fulfills the goal of attaining a theater command puts the General under the aloof Big 0 as his wartime President.

Ros Serling stuff.

Ussual shit from the ussual source. Seen this drama before. MacArthur.

obama just spoke and did not mention this...not sure what is going on

Apparently Joe Klein told CNN a resignation has been submitted by McChrystal. Gibbs says no he hasn't.

Even if he did submit one, BO would still have to accept it before he's officially out.

Report: Gen. McChrystal has submitted resignation; White House denies -

Your right. Barry Boy, if he were smart, would refuse to accept the resignation. He could then look like a magnanimous CINC. He could accept an apology from McCrystal and still have the General who knows whats what in AFG still in place.

Will he do that?? Don't know.

As for what McCrystal or his aides said, well, ain't no news to me that OL'BO and his merry band are a bunch of nitwits. LOL

I see the wingnuts want to pretend that McCrystals offense is limited to criticizing Obama

McCrystal criticized the entire military leadership and the strategy being pursued in Afghanistan. Bascially, he told all the troops fighting under him that their sacrifices were for nothing. Wingnuts don't care if McCrystal hurts morale and insults the troops and their military leaders.

Forum List

Back