Bread lines ARE a good thing; You have to understand them

Same goes for education. Student takes out govt loans. Gives it to college. Student is broke and cant pay it back. Govt loses that $$.

Why put students thru that? Just have govt give the $$ to the college, they lose that $$ either way but at least the students arent stuck w debt
I've seen some very stupid college kids. I've seen some very smart people who haven't gone to college. It's vastly overrated.
I have hired a lot people over the years in fields of computer science, associated fields, and management. Most were college grads but many had some college and a few had neither. Here are some of reasons why college is not overrated when it comes to jobs.

As an employer, I look at college graduation as a test of a person's intelligence or their determination to succeed. As long as the person graduated in one of the more difficult disciplines such as science, engineering, mathematics, law, medicine, etc. with reasonably good grades, I felt they either possessed the qualities of relatively high intelligence or a strong determination to succeed. I've found both qualities are highly desirable in new employees regardless of the job.

Getting experience in your occupation is of great importance in today's world. However, getting it is much like getting credit; that is, you need to have to get it. So when I went through resumes, I weighted the need for experience versus the need to hire at a lower wage. Whenever I felt the job had little need for in depth experience, I looked at the resumes of new graduates with little or no experience hoping to pick a good a candidate that will except lower pay.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out if college is overrated is to attend. IMHO, most young people judge the value of college based on their jobs in the first few years after college and their college loan. The truth is the real value of college should be judged based on how it effects your life as you grow older. Anyone can go to a trade school and learn a skill. However, as you progress through your career, you will find that management is looking for more than how well you drive a truck, fix plumbing, or test products coming off the assembly line when they are looking to fill higher level positions. They are looking for people that in addition to current jobs skills, have good verbal and written communication skills, have an understanding of other disciplines such as accounting, marketing, management, international trade, science, art, history, politics, etc.

Last edited:
Same goes for education. Student takes out govt loans. Gives it to college. Student is broke and cant pay it back. Govt loses that $$.

Why put students thru that? Just have govt give the $$ to the college, they lose that $$ either way but at least the students arent stuck w debt
I've seen some very stupid college kids. I've seen some very smart people who haven't gone to college. It's vastly overrated.
I have hired a lot people over the years in fields of computer science, associated fields, and management. Most were college grads but many had some college and a few had neither. Here are some of reasons why college is not overrated when it comes to jobs.

As an employer, I look at college graduation as a test of a person's intelligence or their determination to succeed. As long as the person graduated in one of the more difficult disciplines such as science, engineering, mathematics, law, medicine, etc. with reasonably good grades, I felt they either possessed the qualities of relatively high intelligence or a strong determination to succeed. I've found both qualities are highly desirable in new employees regardless of the job.

Getting experience in your occupation is of great importance in today's world. However, getting it is much like getting credit; that is, you need to have to get it. So when I went through resumes, I weighted the need for experience versus the need to hire at a lower wage. Whenever I felt the job had little need for in depth experience, I looked at the resumes of new graduates with little or no experience hoping to pick a good a candidate that will except lower pay.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out if college is overrated is to attend. IMHO, most young people judge the value of college based on their jobs in the first few years after college and their college loan. The truth is the real value of college should be judged based on how it effects your life as you grow older. Anyone can go to a trade school and learn a skill. However, as you progress through your career, you will find that management is looking for more than how well you drive a truck, fix plumbing, or test products coming off the assembly line when they are looking to fill higher level positions. They are looking for people that in addition to current jobs skills, have good verbal and written communication skills, have an understanding of other disciplines such as accounting, marketing, management, international trade, science, art, history, politics, etc.

Graduating from college (regardless of grades) does not make one a super hero. I'm with BS Filter. I've met some people who graduated college I wouldn't trust to make a waffle. Logic is more important than education for many jobs. You could graduate with a Masters and have zero logic. Logic simply cannot be taught, no more than you can teach somebody to be a music artist, a football player, or a high rated actor. There are some things you have, or you don't have. Logic is one of those things.

Graduating from college (regardless of grades) does not make one a super hero. I'm with BS Filter. I've met some people who graduated college I wouldn't trust to make a waffle. Logic is more important than education for many jobs. You could graduate with a Masters and have zero logic. Logic simply cannot be taught, no more than you can teach somebody to be a music artist, a football player, or a high rated actor. There are some things you have, or you don't have. Logic is one of those things.
College attendance has little to do with improving intelligence. The purpose of college is to educate, not to make you more intelligence. Intelligence is primarily determined by genetics. Life experience at an early age certainly has an effect but education at college does little to improve your IQ.

In our early years of schooling we acquire tools such reading, writing, and other skills that help prepare us for life as adults. College just adds more tools such as advanced mathematics, foreign languages, science, advanced writing skills, psychology, history, art, music, etc.

As I've said, to be successful in college, you need above average intelligence and/or the determination to succeed. Both are good qualifications for most jobs. To be successful in college, means going to a good school, graduating with decent grades in a discipline that requires that you apply yourself to the task. Some people pay a lot of money to get a degree in a lot of nothing from a degree mill and then expect it will help them get a good job. And when it doesn't, they are all over facebook proclaiming how worthless college is.

Why don't we let government take over the entire system of production and distribution of goods and services? It worked in Russia didn't it?

Back in the day, I used to work as an administrative assistant at the University of Arizona. It was my observation that the higher a degree someone had, the less functional common sense they had. Brilliant in their narrow field, perhaps, but unable to wipe their own asses without a detailed diagram and instructions from Houston Control. I have always believed that universities employ administrative staff primarily to babysit their intellectuals and keep them from looking up the rain and drowning, like turkeys.

Back in the day, I used to work as an administrative assistant at the University of Arizona. It was my observation that the higher a degree someone had, the less functional common sense they had. Brilliant in their narrow field, perhaps, but unable to wipe their own asses without a detailed diagram and instructions from Houston Control. I have always believed that universities employ administrative staff primarily to babysit their intellectuals and keep them from looking up the rain and drowning, like turkeys.

In my years, I've seen new industrial buildings go up. I've seen places that could hold about 500 employees, and they only have one bathroom for each gender. No stalls, just one toilet and one sink in each one. Either the business owner had idiots calling the shots on the design, or the architects were morons.

Granted, the company that had it built didn't have nearly that many employees, but nobody thought of what would happen if they moved, closed down, or expanded. People who need a building that size but do have a lot of employees would have to consider all the new plumbing and construction to provide facilities for all their employees. It's much cheaper to have plumbing installed while the building is being built than later on if you need it. They would have to break up all that concrete, dig down by shovel, install the lines, bury them, and pour new concrete. Then of course you will need additional electrical work.

One place I delivered to had suit and tie morons. They made you get out of the truck and wait in their tiny cafeteria while getting unloaded. Depending on where they put you, it was 25 docks away. By the time you get out of your truck, walk all the way to the shipping room, you sit there for five minutes and they're done, then you have to walk all the way back. The kicker is that each dock had truck locks on it, which is a bar that came up and locked your bumper in. There is no possible way to move the vehicle until you were unlocked.

What these geniuses didn't figure on is what happens if a driver slips, falls, and huts themselves when the lot gets icy. Then they might be dealing with somebody suing the company. Again, all education and no common sense people make those decisions.

Forum List

Back