Boardwalk Empire

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
Saw this series mentioned in several threads so I decided to give it a try. The series starts with the beginning of prohibition in Atlantic City. The scenes, music, and acting recreates this era very well. I have only watched two episodes but it looks like it is going to be another great HBO series.

While new streaming service are popping up nearly everyday, HBO has just celebrated it's 50th year of making quality progrmans and movies. I first watched HBO as a premium channel back in the 70's. The programming then was well ahead of the competition and I think it still is today. I have access to HBO, Showtime, AMC+, Paramount, Peacock, Netflix, and Prime. Of these, I have seen more programs I like on HBO, than all the rest combined. Rotten Tomato's gave Boardwalk Empire a 92% rating with audience rating of 95%.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Boardwalk Empire.
Great acting and scripting

Thought it ran out of steam at the end but overall worth a watch

Boardwalk Empire is one of the best.
It certainly is my own top 5 series of all time, if not in the top 3.
And I will say again, the key reason to why HBO does so well with these is they stick with the story, including it's end. Even if it is very popular. In other words, they don't start adding filler and dialogue and wasted episodes to keep the money train rolling.
The opposite of what everyone else does that ruins series.
How good Walking Dead would have been if HBO did it.? Didn't add tons of soap opera dialogue and filler episodes that don't move the story along. HBO would have ended the series at about 5 seasons, and it might have even been better than Breaking Bad.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the series. Buscemi is a very good actor. I'm biased though, because I will watch anything with those antique cars running around them circa 1919-1920's. I'm also a history buff of that era as well.

Saw this series mentioned in several threads so I decided to give it a try. The series starts with the beginning of prohibition in Atlantic City. The scenes, music, and acting recreates this era very well. I have only watched two episodes but it looks like it is going to be another great HBO series.

While new streaming service are popping up nearly everyday, HBO has just celebrated it's 50th year of making quality progrmans and movies. I first watched HBO as a premium channel back in the 70's. The programming then was well ahead of the competition and I think it still is today. I have access to HBO, Showtime, AMC+, Paramount, Peacock, Netflix, and Prime. Of these, I have seen more programs I like on HBO, than all the rest combined. Rotten Tomato's gave Boardwalk Empire a 92% rating with audience rating of 95%.
Boardwalk Empire is another fine HBO production. It is just one of many quality productions from HBO. HBOMAX, now just Max includes the best of TCM although it is not TCM's complete catalog.

IMHO, HBO is by far the best streaming service. It cost more than Netflix and most other services but they offers much better productions One thing about HBO of note is that they do not release a dozen or more new productions every week but when they do release new productions, it's worth the time to check them out.

Providing $15 a month is not too much for a streaming service, HBO (Max) would be my first choice in a streaming service.

I agree.
Max has the best to offer for the price you pay.
Max is about quality over quantity.
Netflix is the opposite. It is about massive quantity vs. quality.
Netflix has at least the same quality shows as Max, but it is difficult to find. If not impossible.
We have ran across shows on Netflix that are pretty good like "The Sinner:, which is now in it's 4th season. We didn't know it was even there.
Max promotes it's new series well. And because there isn't, literally, 700 of them - you can't miss one.

I agree.
Max has the best to offer for the price you pay.
Max is about quality over quantity.
Netflix is the opposite. It is about massive quantity vs. quality.
Netflix has at least the same quality shows as Max, but it is difficult to find. If not impossible.
We have ran across shows on Netflix that are pretty good like "The Sinner:, which is now in it's 4th season. We didn't know it was even there.
Max promotes it's new series well. And because there isn't, literally, 700 of them - you can't miss one.
HBO has always been the expensive streaming service at $15.95 a month and Netflix the bargain at $9.95 and best of all with Netflix lots of people could watch by sharing a single password. However this is all changing. You will still be able pay $9.95 but only one person can stream at a time and no one outside of the household can sign on with that password. With a $15.95, plan two people will be able to stream at the same time, the same as HBO.

Forum List

Back