Breaking Bad

To HEAVILY support my point of view are all the youn-uns who work in my company who talk about the show laughing and joking with a gleam in their eye. Case and point. Not cool. Not the mentality we should be teaching today's youth. Hopefully the show eventually gets shelved or bought by some billionaire so it doesn't end up in reruns anymore.
You are simply wrong.
If anything, Breaking Bad is a showcase of reasons NOT to be a criminal.
There is literally not one single character in the entire series that doesn't pay a very heavy price for their choice of vocation.
Most of the main characters died a horrible violent death, and those that didn't - lost everything they had and/or watched everyone they love pay for their mistakes.
You are just way off on this

Haha - no that was Gran Torino.
El Camino is a Breaking Bad movie that takes place after Breaking Bad happens.
It is on Netflix.
Oops....
I have an issue with names and remembering movies I've watched.

So few stand out as exceptional and I still get them confused.

But yeah....I liked Gran Torino. It was the exact opposite of Breaking Bad....you expected the opposite of what happens in the movie. The "a$$hole" was a completely honorable and heroic guy...it's a wonder how his kids never understood who he was.

Oops....
I have an issue with names and remembering movies I've watched.

So few stand out as exceptional and I still get them confused.

But yeah....I liked Gran Torino. It was the exact opposite of Breaking Bad....you expected the opposite of what happens in the movie. The "a$$hole" was a completely honorable and heroic guy...it's a wonder how his kids never understood who he was.
Gran Torino is exceptionally good.
Love that movie. Watched it three times so far, and will very likely watch it several more times before I clock out for good.
Gran Torino is a "generational" movie about those differences.
Walt is the "typical" male Baby Boomer. Hard working, fiercely patriotic... a man's man.
His kids are Gen X. Self absorbed, care more about their jobs and money than anything else.
Their kids are Millennials spoiled by their parents, sheltered from reality and live in their devices.

You are simply wrong.
There is literally not one single character in the entire series that doesn't pay a very heavy price for their choice of vocation.
Most of the main characters died a horrible violent death, and those that didn't - lost everything they had and/or watched everyone they love pay for their mistakes.
You are just way off on th

You are simply wrong.

I am not wrong about the RESPONSES I've seen in quite a few teens, and twenty- and thirty- somethings who I've known, worked with and observed. They talk about how cool it is while they stand around like zombies slurping their energy drinks and mixing it with their talk about video games and You Tube "jackass"-type fail videos. They think it's humorous to watch people do stupid shit and pay the price. Shows like Breaking Bad desensitize them even further.

Watching cold case files and stuff like that - true documented horrors with real policemen recalling those experiences trying to hold back their tears - truly sorts out the men from the boys as far as reality goes. If you can watch that and smile and joke about it like people do with Breaking Bad then you're becoming corrupted by a media desensitisation campaign. That's why I don't believe there should be this dark humor attached to that type of thing that way. It's not healthy and it's creating a new breed of desensitized humans, slowly but surely.

"You are just way off on this"
Right back at ya, bub.

I am not wrong about the RESPONSES I've seen in quite a few teens, and twenty- and thirty- somethings who I've known, worked with and observed. They talk about how cool it is while they stand around like zombies slurping their energy drinks and mixing it with their talk about video games and You Tube "jackass"-type fail videos. They think it's humorous to watch people do stupid shit and pay the price. Shows like Breaking Bad desensitize them even further.

Watching cold case files and stuff like that - true documented horrors with real policemen recalling those experiences trying to hold back their tears - truly sorts out the men from the boys as far as reality goes. If you can watch that and smile and joke about it like people do with Breaking Bad then you're becoming corrupted by a media desensitisation campaign. That's why I don't believe there should be this dark humor attached to that type of thing that way. It's not healthy and it's creating a new breed of desensitized humans, slowly but surely.

Right back at ya, bub.
It IS a very cool series.
You are confusing people's love for an amazing series and reality.
I LOVED this series. Arguably it is the best TV series in the entire history of Television. And I am no where near alone in that statement.
But does this show make me want to go out and sell drugs?? Hell no! It is a TV series. It existed to entertain. And that it did.
THAT is what you are seeing... the reaction of watching an exciting awesome show.
Now go and ask those same people did this show inspire them to go out and become criminals.

My favorite characters in Breaking Bad are the mute, enigmatic Salamanca twins and their wheelchair bound bell ringing uncle Hector "Tio" Salamanca.
Also thought the DEA brother-in law Hank was a fascinating character you couldn't help but like.
Of course Gustavo "Gus" Fring the laconic owner of Los Pollos fast food chicken restaurant and super villain bad ass was an awesome character.
But I wish they'd have killed off Jesse Pinkman early in the series. The guy who played him was a terrible actor, and the character just wasn't believable on any level.
They couldn't kill off Pinkman because he becomes a spinoff in another Breaking Bad production.

This is one of the things that makes Breaking Bad so interesting. There are many subplots at work such as Pinkman's desire to protect kids, the wife's relationship with her ex-boss, White's battle with cancer, ect. Yet with all these subplots at work they all fit quite well into the primary plot which is White's transformation from a modest high school chemistry teacher into a ruthless drug kingpin, driven to financially provide for his family after being diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer.

I have seen other series where the subplots don't integrate into main story and they become a distraction.

Right back at ya, bub.
I think that the series started off fairly plausible (kid convinces teacher to make crank) but quickly went off the rails of reality and quickly turned to fiction. Still, a good watch, IMO. I can't see how it would influence anyone to emulate the plot.

Yeah, having your kids watch shows which attempt to glamorize drugs and make heroes of drug dealers is wonderful. We need to have meth-use validated so future generations will become desensitized to it and maybe even try it and find it easier to justify it because some fake charismatic character on TV did it. It makes me fucking sick. I don't care how clever and creative the writers are. Lots of people who do bad things are clever and creative.
There are multi-studies showing that watching violence on tv does make kids violent. The reason is that kids at an early age learn the difference between make believe and reality and they know that what they are watching on TV is make believe. The strongest influence on kids is parents, other kids, and teachers because they provide what no TV or movie can provide, exchange of information, ideas and feeling. This is where kids either learn to become a law abiding member of society or a criminal.

He was not supposed to be in the show beyond the first series. But he was a fan favorite, so they wrote him in.
I think Jesse appealed to younger audiences. All the major cast members were adults in their 30's and 40's when Breaking Bad was made. Jesse, Aaron Paul Sturtevant was 28.

Jesse was not a likable character
But in the end, he was the only one with values and the only one left standing
I think one of the underrated members of the cast was "Mike" Ehrmantraut , the Marine Corps veteran, former Philadelphia police officer, and a calm and calculating career criminal. His straight face humor and calm logical approach to crazy situations added a lot to the series.
In Better Call Saul, he was really funny and had a bigger part.

Last edited:
One of the these few series that starts out a little weak but gets stronger as it progresses.

My favorite character on the series? Wendy.
The Song Wendy by the Association was very good in the series. In fact, the sound effects and music added lot to the series.

I think one of the underrated members of the cast was "Mike" Ehrmantraut , the Marine Corps veteran, former Philadelphia police officer, and a calm and calculating career criminal. His straight face humor and calm logical approach to crazy situations added a lot to the series.
In Better Call Saul, he was really funny and had a bigger part.

I never thought Mike was underrated
He was a Rock Star like Gus
ALWAYS in control
Scene Stealers

You are simply wrong.
Most of the characters did not come to a good end because life in the drug business rarely ends well for buyers or the providers. Typically, they become addicted to their product, die a violent death, or end up in jail. There are many movies about those that are addicted but few about the producers that make and distribute the drugs.

Stewart Lyons, one of the producers said, "We made Breaking because we want to show the other side of the drug business. Drug lords and their people are often glamorized in movies that neglect to show how their obsession for wealth and power corrupts their lives and often ends them."

Well, finally I did it. I started watching this series to find out why so many people, including my teenage grandkids think it's so great. Here's what it's all about.

Mild-mannered high school chemistry teacher Walter White thinks his life can't get much worse. His salary barely makes ends meet, a situation not likely to improve once his pregnant wife gives birth, and their teenage son is battling cerebral palsy. But Walter is dumbstruck when he learns he has terminal cancer. Realizing that his illness probably will ruin his family financially, Walter makes a desperate bid to earn as much money as he can in the time he has left by turning an old RV into a meth lab on wheels.

It's been said many times that it is one of the best TV series ever made. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 96 with an audience score of 97.
Awards:

Golden Globe Award for Best Television Series – Drama
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series
2014, 2013 · Bryan Cranston, Vince Gilligan, Moira Walley-Beckett, ...
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
2014 · Jesse Plemons, Bryan Cranston, Aaron Paul, ...
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
2014, 2010, 2009, ... · Bryan Cranston
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
2014, 2013 · Anna Gunn
Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
2014, 2013 · Bryan Cranston
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
2014, 2012, 2010 · Aaron Paul
Golden Globe Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama
2014 · Bryan Cranston
Satellite Award for Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries & Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
2014 · Aaron Paul
Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Actor in a Drama Series
2013, 2012 · Bryan Cranston
Satellite Award for Best Actor in a Series, Drama/Genre
2014, 2010, 2009, ... · Bryan Cranston
Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
2014, 2012 · Aaron Paul, Giancarlo Esposito
Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
2014 · Moira Walley-Beckett
Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directing – Drama Series
2014, 2013 · Vince Gilligan, Rian Johnson
Producers Guild of America Award - Norman Felton Producer of the Year Award in Episodic Television - Drama
2015, 2014 · Bryan Cranston, Vince Gilligan, Moira Walley-Beckett, ...
Writers Guild of America Award for Best Drama Series
2014, 2013, 2012 · Vince Gilligan, Moira Walley-Beckett, Peter Gould, ...
NME Award for Best TV Series
TCA Award for Individual Achievement in Drama
2009 · Bryan Cranston
Satellite Award for Best Television Series, Drama
2014, 2010, 2009 · AMC
Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Drama Series
2014, 2013
Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Award for Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series
2014, 2013, 2009, ... · Skip MacDonald, Kelley Dixon, Lynne Willingham
TCA Award for Outstanding Achievement in Drama
2012, 2010
British Academy Television International Award
2014 · Vince Gilligan, Mark Johnson, Sam Catlin, ...
TCA Award for Program of the Year
2014, 2013
People's Choice Award for Favorite Series We Miss Most
Peabody Award
2014, 2009 · Sony Pictures Television
PEN USA Literary Award for a Teleplay
2009 · George Mastras
Saturn Award for Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series
Best Syndicated/Cable Television Series - Google Search

My opinion is that it is well worth watching if you like series like the Sopranos where the good guys are really the bad guys or maybe the bad guys or really the good guys. Anyway, I have never watched a show that is as consistently genuine and engaging as Breaking Bad. This is undoubtedly one of the greatest shows ever. Unlike so many shows it doesn't depend on cliff hangers to keep it's audience. The character development is so good, that you'll come back because you want know more about them and you want to see how the story unfolds.

One warning is the there are some pretty bloody scenes. And some say it glorifies drug dealing, however I disagree on this point. The show is much about why people are into drugs, from the central character who does bad things for some very good reasons to hapless young people who simply have nothing else in their lives, to those whose lives have been destroyed by drugs, to those that are so evil they don't deserve to live.

It's available on Netflix, Prime Video, VUDU, Redbox., Vudu Movie & TV Store or Apple TV on your Roku device.

I downloaded the original pilot....it's a clinic for anyone interested in writing a screenplay

Download The 'Breaking Bad' Pilot Script

Last edited:

Forum List

Back