Binge watching "Elementary"

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
So I'm binge-watching the Series "Elementary", and finding a few things.

I watched the series as it ran from 2012 to 2019, but I don't remember a lot of the plots... so it's almost like watching a new show.

For those who haven't seen this series, it's an update on the Sherlock Holmes stories, with Holmes as a recovering drug addict and Doctor Watson being his drug counselor This actually isn't a big deviation from the original works, where Holmes was a drug user in those stories as well (except when the stories were written, cocaine and heroin use were still legal in the US and UK).

It's set in modern New York and Watson is played by Lucy Liu, who amazingly is a lot better as an actress than I previously gave her credit for. Holmes is played by Johnny Lee Miller, who previously played a drug addict in the movie "Trainspotting".

And it's pretty good. Despite the gender swapping of characters (Professor Moriarty is also a woman now) and being set in the modern day, it actually does a lot to capture the feel of Arthur Conan Doyle's original characters.

I'm kind of surprised that basic cable hasn't picked it up.

Jonny Lee Miller was married to Angelina Jolie first, before Brad Pitt or Billy Bob Thornton, back when she was young and hot.

It's very difficult to keep the series episodes fresh after so many episodes, and they did a pretty good job.

I found his father insufferable.

It's very difficult to keep the series episodes fresh after so many episodes, and they did a pretty good job.

I found his father insufferable.

I think his character was supposed to be insufferable, which is what made the way they finished out the series have more weight.

That said, I think Season 7 was largely unnecessary.

So I'm binge-watching the Series "Elementary", and finding a few things.

I watched the series as it ran from 2012 to 2019, but I don't remember a lot of the plots... so it's almost like watching a new show.

For those who haven't seen this series, it's an update on the Sherlock Holmes stories, with Holmes as a recovering drug addict and Doctor Watson being his drug counselor This actually isn't a big deviation from the original works, where Holmes was a drug user in those stories as well (except when the stories were written, cocaine and heroin use were still legal in the US and UK).

It's set in modern New York and Watson is played by Lucy Liu, who amazingly is a lot better as an actress than I previously gave her credit for. Holmes is played by Johnny Lee Miller, who previously played a drug addict in the movie "Trainspotting".

And it's pretty good. Despite the gender swapping of characters (Professor Moriarty is also a woman now) and being set in the modern day, it actually does a lot to capture the feel of Arthur Conan Doyle's original characters.

I'm kind of surprised that basic cable hasn't picked it up.
I thought Elementry was that series with Lucy Lu and Natalie Dormer?

Yes, Lucy Lui played Dr. Watson and Dormer played "Professor Moriarity".

While I am usually against "gender swapping" someone else's established characters, in this case, it actually kind of worked.
I'll have to give it a watch. I don't really care about the gender swap if the writing is good. Beside, I've had a thing for Natalie Dormer since the British series, "The Fades". Everyone raves about her perfomance in the Tudors and The Hunger Games. But I thought she was exceptional in that series. Nice nude scent too! lol Too bad it only lasted a single season.

I'll have to give it a watch. I don't really care about the gender swap if the writing is good. Beside, I've had a thing for Natalie Dormer since the British series, "The Fades". Everyone raves about her perfomance in the Tudors and The Hunger Games. But I thought she was exceptional in that series. Nice nude scent too! lol Too bad it only lasted a single season.

She's good in this, although I think I might have spoiled the twist for you.

Forum List

Back